1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mat 19:17 and the Word "good"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 20, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Even the most liberal scholars do not deny that the text we have is over 98% identical with the original manuscripts. This far exceeds any ancient document in human history.

The are well aware of all the disputed small percentage. The small percentage is not sufficient to overturn or seriously cast doubt on any Biblical doctrine. Even the most liberal scholars admit this.

However, Liberal scholars for the most part choose to reject the Biblical doctrine of inspiration of the Scriptures or choose to interpret it to allow them to reject whatever they choose to reject in the scriptures.

Conservative scholarship (those who accept Biblical inspiration) admit to a tiny percentage of variant readings but believe there is sufficient evidence either gained from internal context and/or from sufficient number of source materials to accurately determine what the tiny percentage of variants should read.

In the case we are discussing, we have both internal and sufficient source materials to know for certain the true reading of the text.

We have sufficient source materials of Matthew that provide readings for both variants in Matthew 19:17. In addition, there is unanimous agreement by other Biblical writers as to which variant is correct. Hence, we are not left with mere personal opinion but we have the inspired opinion of other witnesses. In addition we have the internal contextual evidence which proves which reading is correct.

This is a no brainer to the Bible student who simple objective is to ascertain the correct reading.

However, you are certainly not coming to the evidence objectively but with a clear subjective agenda and so no amount of evidence will deter you.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

i agree with you on where to discuss it, but just want to say that i am NOT CT ONLY, as feel that between TR/MT/CT, that they are all very close to each other in agreement, and that one can in confidence rely upon any of them to study original text and to use for translation basis!

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with every thing that you have said.
    I am puzzled at your conclusion. I have no agenda. It HP that wants to build a doctrine on a variant reading of Mat.19:17.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was adding to your comments to HP! I was really using your post to further the discussion with HP. Sorry for the confusion.