1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mat 19:17 and the Word "good"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Biblicist, all you are doing is showing the entire universe you have no ability to stay focused on the text itself, but rather ignore the actual verse in question and the GK text concerning it. If one desires a clear example of a proof text'tr, Biblicist is a shining example of one so far. All he is interested in is making a doctrinal statement from any text he so desires without careful or critical examination of the truth of the text whatsoever.

When we get to the other texts Biblicist refers to, and if I try, as he is doing here, to make them walk on all four legs without clear support from the GK in the text itself in question, (as Biblicist here is bent on doing with this text) I should be taken to task just as I will take Biblicist to task for his actions thus far with this text. But for now, we are dealing with Matt. 19:16-17 alone. I do not care how contradictory it may appear with any other text period. I want to find the plain simple meaning of this verse from the GK to the best of my abilities.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, go to the GK text now that I posted or the GK text of your choosing. Show me where the word 'good' modifies the word 'Teacher' or 'Master.' Does not the word 'good' modify' the 'thing' asked about to gain eternal life? Did he not ask Jesus what 'good thing' he was to do to gain eternal life?

Are you suggesting that all these other versions are in error and are not translating the GK text as it in reality states? Don't be bashful. Tell us of the obvious error you must feel exists with the versions posted.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then you are obligated to compare it to the other accounts in the Synoptics.

Have you ever been a witness to an accident? If an accident happens in the middle of an intersection and there are four witnesses, one on each respective corner of the intersection. The police come and ask each witness to write a statement, an account of what they saw took place. Will each witness write the same thing? Will all the accounts of the accident be the same?

No. The vantage point of each was different. They saw different things from different angles and different viewpoints. That doesn't mean any one of them was lying. But their accounts were different; the same accident--so a similar account but different details.

In the same way the first three gospels are similar but different. They record the story of the rich young ruler. Not every account records the exact same details. They are close but not exact. They were looking at the story from different view points, different angles, and perhaps even different purposes (according to the purpose of each gospel). So the account is similar but not the same. It goes without saying then, that you cannot ignore the accounts in Mark and Luke. If Mark says "Good Master," then it must be "Good Master." It is verified. It is verified in other gospel as well. You cannot dismiss internal evidence so easily.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again you have chosen a reading that disagrees with both Mark and Luke.

Look at the evidence that they are one and the same story and you will see why the KJV translators followed the text that harmonized with INSPIRED writers of the same story:

Luke 18:18 ¶ And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

Mt. 19:16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mk. 10:17 ¶ And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

Mt. 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mk. 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Lk. 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

Mt. 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mk 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Lk. 18:21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
    22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Mk. 10:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Mt. 19:20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
    21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Lk. 18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

Mk. 10:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Mt. 19:22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

All your speculations over a false reading is vain. The overall evidence destroys the idea that Matthew is talking about some other man than Luke or Mark.

The textual readings of Mark and Luke are not questioned and since they are INSPIRED that is the only basis to settle which reading in Matthew is correct.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, post #42 has not been addressed.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

To the reader. Notice the manner in which Biblicist weaves and bobs but never addresses the text head on. He always points in another direction and refuses, so far, to examine the text itself.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Biblicist, are the five(5, no less) versions I have posted in error?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Mark 10:17 και εκπορευομενου αυτου εις οδον προσδραμων εις και γονυπετησας αυτον επηρωτα αυτον διδασκαλε αγαθε τι ποιησω ινα ζωην αιωνιον κληρονομησω

--The good master.

Mark 10:18 ο δε ιησους ειπεν αυτω τι με λεγεις αγαθον ουδεις αγαθος ει μη εις ο θεος

oudeis--not even one, none, no one,
    agathos--good
    ei me--but
    ho theos the God.

legeis from lego means to call or describe
    There is no one called good, not even one good, but God.
    IOW Only God is good!

You are in obvious error because you refuse to look at the rest of Scripture, as I have just provided for you.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, are you suggesting that all these other versions are in error and are not translating the GK text as it in reality states? Don't be bashful. Tell us of the obvious error you must feel exists with the versions posted.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1792118&postcount=48

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If 100 versions are based upon a FALSE READING then all 100 translate a FALSE READING.

If you compare the parallel accounts it is obvious it is the same story and it is obvious that the reading chosen by the KJV is the correct reading.

If you deny this you must reject the inspiration of both Luke and Mark as there is no argument about their textual readings.

If you can't understand this, you need to simply bow out and listen and learn.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, I am not going there YET. I would love to go to those texts, but we have much unfinished business in Matt. first. If you will not be fair to this text in Matt., and fairly examine it on its own merits, I have no reason to follow you or anyone else to another. My feet are planted in Matt. until we get to the bottom of its meanings, again on its own merits, NOT in the light of any other passages at this time.

DHK, post #42 has not been addressed.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1792118&postcount=48

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

Biblicist, this thread is about Matt 19. If you cannot answer directly the questions about this text on its own merits, and choose to ignore the five, and how many more only God knows, translations that differ from any rendering you have given this far, go start your own thread. You need to learn how to focus.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, #42 deals with the Scripture in this thread. You need to answer it directly. Quit trying to derail the specific topic, please. :thumbs:

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 19:16 και ιδου εις προσελθων ειπεν αυτω διδασκαλε αγαθε τι αγαθον ποιησω ινα εχω ζωην αιωνιον

didaskale--from didakalos meaning teacher or master.
    agathe--from agathos meaning good.
    ti meaning the.

the good teacher.
    the good master.
    --It is irrefutable.
    Yes all of your above translations are, without a doubt, wrong and erroneous. Chuck them out.

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

DHK, you cannot be serious, are you????

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Here we have it folks. Save this post in your saved files.:thumbs:

DHK says that we should throw out Today's English version, the NIV, the New English Bible, the Revised Standard version, and obviously all others that might translate Matt 19: 16-17 as they do. :eek:

Where is your respect for the Word of God DHK?

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

I would like to let the list know that I flagged DHK's post for showing clear signs of disrepect for the Word of God.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Apparently you don't read my posts, even when I answer the questions you ask. You asked my if I am KJVO, which I am not. But I did give you my position. If you understood what I wrote you would not be so reactionary and alarmist in your post. You would know where I stand. But, no, you don't pay attention--a common trait.