1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matriarchy

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Bunyon, Jan 15, 2006.

?
  1. A matriarchal world would have a negative effect on societies.

57.1%
  2. A matriarchal world would be an improvement.

42.9%
  3. It would just be a change, not good or bad.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

In the news today, I have heard Chilie is about to get its first female president, and an African nation is about to get its first female president. Here in the USA, we may have our first with a possible election of H. Clinton or C. Rice.

What if we end up with the opposite of the patriarchy that has marked western society and most of human history. What if the future is a Matriarchy. Would it be a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I could say a lot of things here and a lot of things are swimming through my mind, but I will just forgo all of that...

...except for one thing. I do not believe that if a country has a woman as a prime minister or a president that that is the same thing as having a matriarchal society.

If the USA ever has a female president (and I would never vote for one simply because she is female), you would still have a male-dominated Congress and Supreme Court. Even the executive branch which is headed by the president would still be male-dominated.

Men would still be the spiritual leaders of the home and women would still be the chief cooks and bottle washers.

Society would not change. Only the gender of the president would change.

And the USA is not a patriarchal society today simply because we have a male president. I just don't believe that the gender of the president determines which gender dominates society.

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Scarlett, the question is hypothetical. What if the trend continues and our world becomes primarily ruled by women? That is instead of a majority male ruled society, as you described, we go to the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm not just wondering about if Hilery gets into office here in the USA.

BTW. In my profession, women outnumber the men, and I am not a bottle washer. We are not in the 40's anymore.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a society where the genders truly were equal, it would be natural for periods higher in male leadership along with other periods higher in female leadership.

Wikipedia : Matriarchy

The Wikipedia article on Matriarchy has some historical examples of matriarchial societies with the comment that the definition of what constitutes a matriarchial society being something difficult to define.

The fictional book "God Emperor of Dune" by Frank Herbert gives some interesting philosophies about advantages to having a purely female military. One of his thoughts were that a purely female military would be less destructive of "collateral damage" because of the strong sense of nurture women have from child-birth. The Fish-speakers and Bene-Gesserit were two exclusively female factions with major roles in his books with extensively developed cultures.

5. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Basically, I am just imagining what if this time is a transition, and we end up int he future with the opposite of what we have had in western society for 2000 years, a matriarchy as opposed to the patriarchy we have had. It could happen, what would it be like? Would it work?

" One of his thoughts were that a purely female military would be less destructive of "collateral damage" because of the strong sense of nurture women have from child-birth."'---------------------------------------------------

Less destructive and less victorious too.