1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matt. 4:8-9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by freeatlast, Feb 21, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

At the temptation of the Lord satan made an interesting offer;
    Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Do you believe that satan had the right and the ability to carry through with this offer or was he bluffing (lying)? If he really had this ability then it says a lot about his authority. If he was lying and the Lord knew it how was this a temptation?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi freeatlast, in the parallel passage in Luke 4:

Luke 4
    5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
    6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
    7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.​

Of course this makes the presumption that he was telling the truth which may very well be (the end justifies the means):

NIV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.​

OK, granted it was no temptation for Christ but that's all part of the tempt-test recorded in the Scripture for posterity's sake.
    Perhaps the devil was not 100% sure that Jesus is/was the second person of the Trinity and had retained His holiness, especially having become flesh, a mortal human being. ​

The devil had won over a host of angels. Maybe his motto was "nothing ventured, nothing gained". He just had to try.​

HankD​

#2 HankD, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because Satan is the god of this "world". "World" meaning the whole sinful world system. In this sense Satan can give us what our flesh desires but it will end in death, for the wages of sin is death.