1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matt. 6: Charitable Deeds

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dianetavegia, May 23, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I am uncomfortable with church envelopes because of this verse. I'm the class secretary and am given some envelopes with very large donations written in very large numbers and other's sealed with nothing on the outside.

In my humble opinion, this verse speaks not only of good deeds but of monetary donations. I am always uncomfortable with people who shout to the world, "Look how nice I am!", "Look what I did!".

Do you believe this verse applies to all areas of service? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the number keeping?

Diane

2. preacher

preacher New Member

actually the verses you used are not connected at all with what or how to give in the church.
    Christ was teaching the attitude of giving to those that had no way to repay, & also the basic principle for giving.
    when Christ stated "they have their reward" the word reward is misthos, which basically means to pay for service. In other words you give expecting something in return. anything from praise to being paid back.
    The second use of the word where He say the Father would reward thee openly is apodidoĢ„mi which means... to give away, that is, up, over, back, etc. You do it looking for nothing
    in return, out of a pure & loving heart.
    The reason I don't believe it's connected with church giving is that its hard for someone not to know that you gave something. Don't let your left hand know what the right is doing...no one should know but you & God. Not just the amout, or the deed...but that the recipiant wouldn't know who their benefactor was. ;)

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think people ought to police themselves on the envelope matter. I know that when I accidentally put our envelope in the basket face-up, my wife simultaneously turns it over so nothing shows while giving me a sharp elbow to the ribs...maybe next time I'll remember!

As for folks that write the numbers real big, they have truly already received their reward if their purpose was to draw attention.

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dianne,

We got around this by stopping Sunday School Offerings. We give our offerings in Worship Service as an Act of Worship.

5. Larry in Tennessee

Larry in Tennessee New Member

Diane, I've always been uncomfortable with the envelopes. I used to hold out my tithe in cash, and put it in a plain unmarked envelpoe.

The church we belong to now uses the personalized envelopes with your name printed on the front. I'm not comfortable with it, but I use them since they spend the money to print them.

6. preacher

preacher New Member

Larry,
    That sounds like someones idea to be able to keep up with who gives & who doesn't.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Preacher, I think the idea is to make the church treasurer's job easier when doing end of the year individual reports for tax purposes. I know my church's treasurer finds it much easier for the purposes of that job.

8. LandonL

LandonL New Member

I'm not against it, but how many people on this board believe that to use your tithe as a tax writeoff is wrong? I've met some people who do, and I just don't agree with them.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Implication: Let them do it.

I do see the distinction in Matthew 6 from my personal giving to help folks and my regular and systematic giving to my local church. Alms v Tithes

That I give by check/envelope for IRS purpose is my choice and I do not see a prohibition against it.

10. preacher

preacher New Member

I understand about tax purposes, that why if I wanted a reciept at the end of the year I would either put my name on the envelope myself, or use a check. That way it's my choice not the churches.