1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthew Henry on "Repentance".

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Jun 10, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here's the link to the website of which I am "pasting" an excerpt from:

http://www.studylight.org/com/mhc-com/view.cgi?book=lu&chapter=013

3. On these stories he founded a call to repentance, adding to each of them this awakening word, Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish, Luke 13:3-5. (1.) This intimates that we all deserve to perish as much as they did, and had we been dealt with according to our sins, according to the iniquity of our holy things, our blood had been long ere this mingled with our sacrifices by the justice of God. It must moderate our censure, not only that we are sinners, but that we are as great sinners as they, have as much sin to repent of as they had to suffer for. (2.) That therefore we are all concerned to repent, to be sorry for what we have done amiss, and to do so no more. The judgments of God upon others are loud calls to us to repent. See how Christ improved every thing for the pressing of that great duty which he came not only to gain room for, and give hopes to, but to enjoin upon us--and that is, to repent. (3.) That repentance is the way to escape perishing, and it is a sure way: so iniquity shall not be your ruin, but upon no other terms. (4.) That, if we repent not, we shall certainly perish, as others have done before us. Some lay an emphasis upon the word likewise, and apply it to the destruction that was coming upon the people of the Jews, and particularly upon Jerusalem, who were destroyed by the Romans at the time of their passover, and so, like the Galileans, they had their blood mingled with their sacrifices; and many of them, both in Jerusalem and in other places, were destroyed by the fall of walls and buildings which were battered down about their ears, as those that died by the fall of the tower of Siloam. But certainly it looks further; except we repent, we shall perish eternally, as they perished out of this world. The same Jesus that calls us to repent because the kingdom of heaven is at hand, bids us repent because otherwise we shall perish; so that he has set before us life and death, good and evil, and put us to our choice. (5.) The perishing of those in their impenitency who have been most harsh and severe in judging others will be in a particular manner aggravated.

You will find this when you scroll down and see this:
    II. Christ's reply to this report, in which,

When you see that sentence I bolded, scroll down to paragraph #3, and that's it.

Look, I am not trying to be a nusance here, but Jesus stated that unless we repent, we will all likewise perish. This is not giving me, or anyone else who is saved, the right for a "pat on the back". Without Him, I can't even breathe. When God began dealing with me, He set up a Godly sorrow in my life, and in this godly sorrow, I repented, because I was ashamed for all the evil things I had done. I was ashamed that my sins nailed Him to the cross. I was ashamed for the many times I took His precious name in vain. This is why I repented, I was sorry for the evil I had done, and begged for His mercy, and He heard my cries, and saved me from my sins.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Sure. I don't know of a single person in any denomination under any theological banner that denies this.

What is your point?

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, for starters, when I made the claim, "that we must repent of our sins", you then stated that I needed to pat myself on the back for helping to save myself.....or that's the way it sounded to me. If I misunderstood you, please accept my sincerest apologies, and I really mean that I am sorry if I took your posts wrong, Brother.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, I wasn't clear- on purpose. I wanted to make a point in part and then make it in full later.

I had a reason for this.

The point is whether the subject "I" is causing the action or is doing the action because it is caused by another.

I fall. Do I fall beCAUSE I was pushed or because I jumped?

If the first then I cannot boast in my falling. It was caused by another.

If the latter then I can boast because I CAUSED it.

I repent. Do I repent because God caused me to repent or because I caused myself to repent?

That is the question.

All men must repent if they are to be saved.

But the question is WHY do some repent and others do not.

The answer is not that some are wiser or less depraved because we are ALL totally depraved. Total is total. One cannot be more total than the other.

The answer is that some men repent because God as an act of grace causes them to by regenerating them, etc, etc, etc...

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There's only one point here, and that's on top of my head!!! :laugh::tongue3:

Man can not, does not, and will not repent by themself. The Godly sorrow must first be set up, and then this Godly sorrow causes them to repent when they realize how vile and wretched they really are.

Agreed. :thumbs:

Ahhh yes, here is where we part ways, Brother. Regeneration means "new birth". How can one get the "new birth", and then later one be saved?

Take for instance the gestational period of a embryo, fetus, and then infant. All it takes is one sperm(seed) to fertilize one egg(lost man for instance) to start this process. I liken this to being convicted by God, whether through Him directly revealling Himself to that person, or hearing the Word preached in power. When God begins drawing that person, He will show him what He needs to do in order to be saved. Over time, the baby is born, and voila, a "new birth". Now, in the gestational period, it is roughly nine months(some longer or shorter) for completion. Now in regards to the "new birth", it could take as little as five seconds(maybe even less) to get the "new birth". One doesn't get the "new birth", and then they are made "alive" later. These two words are interchangeable, if you ask me.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't get it.

Then it is a cooperative effort.

I fall. Either you push or I jump... OR both.

If the first- then you get all the credit.
    If the second- then I get all the credit.
    If the third- then we SHARE the credit.

You share the credit with God because though he made you sorrowful, etc... you still contributed by choosing to repent in response to the help of God.

So praise God for his part and yourself for your part.

Regeneration CAN mean new borth; or it can mean to make alive. The latter meaning is the more probable since the word is used here like this:

In that context it cannot mean "new birth".

Exactly. But you and I are vehemently opposed to abortion for the same reason. We believe the fetus is a LIVING human being.

The fetus is alive BEFORE it is born.

Life precedes birth just as life MUST precede faith.

Dead spirits cannot believe.

The spirit of a man must be MADE ALIVE before it can respond to God in any way. Once made alive then it can believe and be saved.