1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthrew 27, Jeremiah, Zechariah

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pete Richert, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm sure this has been beaten to death before, so if you like, you can just point me out to past threads. Why does Matthew source Jeremiah as the qoute in Matthew 27 instead of Zechariah?

2. Janetta Hampton

Janetta Hampton New Member

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Jeremiah 32:6-9 is similar, but I don't think it's the direct reference. I think Zech 11:13 is the direct reference. I think the explanation is that the books of the prophets were grouped into units, and the "Jeremiah" group included some of the smaller books - so that Matt could quote from Zech but say it was from "Jeremiah" in the sense that that's what group it was from. I can't prove this, but I like this explanation better than ignoring Zech 11:13 and picking Jer 32:6-9 instead.

Brian

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I will have to come clean now and admit that I only have a NRSV with me at the moment (lunch time at work). It appears that in Jeremiah the field was bought for only 17 shekels instead of 30. Zechariah doesn't seem like an exact qoute either though, although it is close.

I do love the passage in Zechariah, for God, speaking as Jehova/Yahweh, claims that the thiry pieces of silver was the price the valued Him! What a great passage for the diety of Christ!