1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Max lucado

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Apr 13, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And on this we agree! Well said.:thumbs:

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify, you're grossly misrepresenting what I said.

I never said that Lucado does not worship the same God. I said that (a) he is in a denomination that traditionally has been "oneness" in it's understanding of the nature of God and (b) that his books do not accurately reflect the nature of God.

I've never said that Lucado, personally, does not worship the same God so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Thank you. People are getting way too upset about this. I'm sorry that I don't like the same authors you all do, just as I'm sure that most of you would not appreciate some of the preachers I listen to. Paul Washer would probably cause a riot here.

But, unfortunately, this is the internet, where it's not enough to recognize that people have different opinions. No, you have to belittle them for their opinions and insist that your opinion is right and they're just idiots who are insulting you by breathing the same air.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Well, wouldn't you think that Lucado worships the God that he writes about in his books? That would be a safe assumption. So, the following statement of yours surely does say that Lucado doesn't worship the God of the Bible. In fact, you even made sure to present the God that Lucado presents as god with a little 'g'.

4. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually, I never said anything about Lucado worshipping anyone or anything. In fact, I didn't say anything about his beliefs at all, except that he belongs to a denomination that has traditionally been "oneness" in their understanding of the nature of God.

But my thoughts were confined to the opinions expressed in Lucado's books, not his personal beliefs.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Honestly, Matt, if this is the was you're going to insist on behaving, then I've got to assume that you really don't care what I said or what I meant.

So there's really no point in continuing this with you.

#44 JohnDeereFan, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First off, Pastor Lucado's church is independent - not in a denomination so I don't know how you can say he's "oneness" when clearly by his own statement, he's not.

Secondly, you said:

Note the lower case "g" meaning that it is not God.

When NorthCarolinaTentmaker said "I want the God that Lucado is describing." you said:

Note the lower case "h" meaning that it is not God.

In post 22, you say VERY clearly:

When PreachinginJesus said "Wow, how ridiculous for you to say that. He is talking about the same God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit you and I both believe in.", you said:

Then you said in post #30:

Now you say:

No need to put any words in your mouth. You spoke of Lucado's God being different than the God of the Bible. The words are there. Might want to either start twisting them or apologize.

#45 annsni, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  6. matt wade

It's hard for me to put words in there when your foot is taking up all the room! :laugh:

So, let's see...you said, "The god Lucado presents is not the God of the Bible.". Does Lucado worship a different God than the one he writes about? Sorry, your statement amounts to the same thing as saying Lucado worships a different God. Any reasonable person would interpret your statement in that manner. Maybe you just aren't being reasonable?

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you like Max Lucado's books then, by all means, read them.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why thank you - I appreciate the permission. :wavey:

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you don't need my permission. I'm just saying that it's a matter of personal preference and that I believe you have the liberty to like them, even if you won't extend the liberty not to like them to me.

10. matt wade

You have all the liberty in the world to not like them. If you just came on here and said "Hey..I don't like those books. They aren't my cup of tea." then this wouldn't be an issue. The issue is that you have said that Lucado is writing about a different God than the God of the Bible. Once you make an accusation like that, you need to back it up. You know the old saying, "Put up or shut up".

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah that. :)

You can absolutely not like the books. I don't care. There are lots of things that I don't like that other do and that is fine. It's not essentials but liberty. However, when we get into saying that someone is speaking of another god, then that is beyond liberty but getting into essentials. That's a different story.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I noticed you said this earlier but was hoping someone would correct this, but I don't think anyone did.

The Church of Christ has never been a Oneness church. You've got them confused with something else (like the Oneness Pentecostals and some others).

The issue with the Church of Christ is their stance on water baptism as part of the salvation process.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And note that his church is not Church of Christ but independent.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Right, but I wanted to clarify the Oneness issue and the Church of Christ.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't aware that the Trinity was dismantled at Calvery.

16. North Carolina Tentmaker

Separated by our sin, how else could Jesus ask, "why hast thou forsaken me?"

One thing (among many) that amazes me about Jesus is how well he knows our every feeling and emotion, even how it feels to be lost and separated from God.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is a lot of in-house disagreement on this. Some believe Christ was abandoned and separated from God on the cross; others don't. I wouldn't use the word "dismantled," however.

But still, the Church of Christ was never Oneness. This is another issue that you bring up here.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the Trinity ceased to be because of our sin? Isn't that just a little bit heretical?

19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. I'll bite: what scripture would somebody use to show that the Trinity ceased to be at Calvary?

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, when I first came here a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering why there were no threads on preachers like Paul Washer and A.W. Pink and Spurgeon or any serious threads about theology.

After reading this thread, now I know.

Between this thread and the thread where I was blasted for saying that I don't think we would use a certain song in our church for worship, this place seems to be pretty shallow.