1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Max Lucado

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by mark brandwein, Nov 1, 2003.

1. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

Are Max Lucado's books worth reading?

2. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Hi Mark...I LOVE Max Lucado's books! (I think I have most of them.)

They are usually broken into short chapters that really pack and punch and give you some depth to think about...IMHO, that is!

CJ

3. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I was given one of his 3 books in one as a gift; The Great House of God, Just Like Jesus and When Christ comes. I attempted to read through When Christ comes. Made it half way through, then got too board. Seems it's a lot of feel good stuff, nothing overly deep. I will give another one of the 3 books a go eventually, but I wasn't too impressed. But then again it wasn't becasue I was agaisnt anything he was really saying, it just was a lot more shallow then what I usually read.

Bryan
    SDG

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm with Bugman. Shallow reading, has a few good things to say but you get the feel he sat down and wrote it off the top of his head in a week.
    At least all his stuff post mass popularity.
    Gina

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If you are not looking for anything deep, but light, devotional reading there are fine. I enjoy and own several.

6. itsawebthing

itsawebthing New Member

They are good books for inspirational pickmeups, or to give to someone in the hospital. Believe he has a radio broadcast still- Up-Words.

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina and Bugman are right on. The first word that came to my mind was "shallow." Very popular, but lots of fluff.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of my sermons from the first years of ministry were theologically sound, but lacked some of the personal illustrations.

Now, the advent of the Chicken Soup type stories and touching, inspirational and heart-warming works of Lucado, my sermons are still chocked full of Scripture and theologically sound . . but seem to touch a deeper chord and reach into the lives of the listeners.

I would read everything the man writes. Except any "theology". He's a mess! But that doesn't affect his inspirational writing.

He would get two thumbs up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I have a couple of his books they're nice but, like others have said, they're shallow.

10. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

I am reading " The Next door Savior" Its very intersting. I enjoy his qestions after each chapter. [​IMG]

11. Clay Knick

Clay Knick New Member

Lucado isn't writing for pastors or scholars.
    He's writing for the masses. He's a good
    communicator. If you ever hear him preach
    he's much more theological. I used to
    subscribe to his sermons. His books are
    good. I think his book on grace is his
    best.

And yes, Dr. Bob, he uses some marvelous
    stories. I steal them!!

Clay

12. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He points out everybodies errors but his own.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Me too. They're great inspirational light reading. Great for personal devotional or contemplation.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Me too. They're great inspirational light reading. Great for personal devotional or contemplation.

16. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

He points out everybodies errors but his own. </font>[/QUOTE]TC: I already said I don't agree with everything he said. However, a vast amount of his criticisms are both well-researched & valid. Find out if the point is valid! If it's valid, it sticks. If it's not, discard it. It's not a matter of your opinion of the man who wrote it, though it would be preferable if he had a more gentle approach to people who are true believers. Too much "tolerance" in the church makes people unwilling to hear the truth--and look for reasons to reject it because the one(s) delivering the truth happen to be human & fallible too.

17. Elk

Elk New Member

I loved "In the Grip of Grace" the best.

I think something changed in his recent writings; so in that regard, I like his earlier writings the best.

18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He points out everybodies errors but his own. </font>[/QUOTE]TC: I already said I don't agree with everything he said. However, a vast amount of his criticisms are both well-researched & valid. Find out if the point is valid! If it's valid, it sticks. If it's not, discard it. It's not a matter of your opinion of the man who wrote it, though it would be preferable if he had a more gentle approach to people who are true believers. Too much "tolerance" in the church makes people unwilling to hear the truth--and look for reasons to reject it because the one(s) delivering the truth happen to be human & fallible too. </font>[/QUOTE]He rarely quotes primary sources. Sorry, but I don't call his "exposes" based on secondary and tertiary sources well researched. He has yet to correct a single mistake he has made - and he has made some. When he does that and provides bibliographies of his sources so they can be checked for accuracy, then I'll be more inclined to read his work. Until then, he's just blowing wind.

19. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried to read one of his books once. About halfway through, I just got bored, put it down and never picked it up again, moved on to something more interesting.

Jason