1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

May God Have Mercy on Paul Hill

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by GraceSaves, Sep 2, 2003.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

2. Dan Stiles

Dan Stiles New Member

Amen, and did you notice the last paragraph of that news story?
    "...any person to whom God speaks..."?!?!

There is certainly a call for prayer here, for both Mr. Hill to repent and for those who are involved in any way, but there is also a call for prayer for Christians who will be persecuted for no reasons other than that Mr. Hill calls himself a Christian. He has become an excuse to go after "...any person to whom God speaks..."

3. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

The response to your accusers would then be, God speaks to you too, but you refuse to listen. There-in is the difference between us.

4. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

The issue of Paul Hill raises several troubling issues for me:

1. Notice how our government was bent on executing this man. If he had raped 25 - 7 year old girls, they would have found some way to avoid putting him to death. The courts would have entertained stay after stay for the most ridiculous reasons. But someone like this must be put to death in order to serve as a "warning" to others.

2. After 30 years, why are the prayers of the Christian community so ineffective in changing the hearts and minds of our leadership? Why do we have no power with heaven to stop this awful course of action?

3. Where is the power of the Rosary? Over and over I read and am told by fellow Catholics that the Rosary is a "powerful spiritual weapon," yet after seemingly BILLIONS of Rosaries having been said against abortion, it continues on. Where is the power?

4. Where is the Christian community in the fight against abortion? Yes, what this man did is wrong, yet perhaps he was driven by seeing the collective yawn of Christianity as 4,000 babies are murdered every day. We have started a pro-life committee at our parish and we cannot get people to even give one hour a month to come to the meetings.

5. Are we to be the arms and legs of God? This is the one which troubles me the most. I personally have NO CALL TO MURDER ABORTIONISTS (let me say that again for all the FBI types reading this -- I WILL NOT ENGAGE IN MURDER OF ANY HUMAN BEING, INCLUDING ABORTION DOCTORS!!). At the same time, does God expect that we are to do what we have to do when we see evil? When I see a child being chased by a deranged man with a knife, is my response to fall on my knees and pray, and after the child is dead, wonder why God "didn't answer my prayer?"

There are ways of stopping abortion without resorting to violence. But no one is lifting a finger to do these things. Worst of all, if you come to Pennsylvania, there are nice statues of the Blessed Virgin standing right alongside the political posters which urge others to vote for pro-abortion politicians.

If the Catholics in this country were OBEDIENT instead of rebellious, uncaring, and lazy -- we could stop abortion cold in its tracks.

Many people are going to answer on the Judgement Day for this..

(And one more time -- I have never nor will I ever engage in violence of any kind. I am a non-violent activist, involved in voting pro-life, peaceful protests, and education of others)

5. Catholic Dad

Catholic Dad Guest

AMEN!!!

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If Hill had actually appealed the death sentence more than the automatic appeals required by law, the courts would have entertained stay after stay for the most ridiculous reasons. facts are important.

Perhaps we are asking amiss... what part is pride playing in all of this? How many of us have forged friendships with pro-death people for the purpose of sharing our faith? Are we even praying for them, or are all our prayers militantly opposed to them?

Just a thought.

See above.

I haven't seen this collective yawn you speak of. What are you looking for in the way of "action?" More marches? More letters to the editor? What does this committee do? Why?

Again, facts are important.

What did Jesus do? Seriously. Protest? Legislate? Hmmm?

It is my contention that there are indeed myriad ways to stop abortion... but none of them are easy or particularly popular or highly visible. There isn't really much of a personal investment in marching. I know, I've done my share of antiabortion marches. The real investment comes in finally seeing the people on the "other side" as just that -- people -- and responding as Jesus did to people -- even "bad" people.

That's where the laziness lies, and it's not just the RCC, it's pandemic.

7. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Are you questioning the legitimacy of the Rosary, or the Catholics who are praying it, or their intentions, or what?

8. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

What did you not understand about my question? I have been told that the saying of the Rosary has great power. Billions of Rosaries have been said against abortion over the years.

WHY is there nothing happening? That is a very simple and straightforward question.

And really, pursuant to that, WHERE is the power of God in the Church? The apostles healed the sick with a word, raised the dead, and performed other miracles. WHY is this power not seen today in the apostolic offices? If the office survives and is passed on, surely the power must go with it.

I guess I have great expectations of a great God.

Somewhere, something is broken, and until it gets fixed, the wicked will continue to rule the day.

Brother Ed

9. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Do we actually know that nothing is happening?

Sometimes the answers to our prayers is not what we expect or want, but they are answered none the less.

Healing miracles do happen. They just do not happen on demand. They are from God, given by God at His time and choosing.

Padre Pio comes to mind as one who God used to give many others a gift of healing. There is the woman (still living) who was born without sight or pupils but now sees, although she still has no pupils. Doctors can not explain it.

Ron

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hey, CC... didja see my post?