1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured May I suggest this for securing your eternal life?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist-7, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Heresy. If the believer is responsible for maintaining his salvation then, by definition, it is no longer imputed righteousness, but infused righteousness.

Congratulations. You're a Catholic now.

2. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

The NT in English is plenty good enough for me ... with the indispensible help of the Holy Spirit.
    God did not arrange for the Scriptures to be penned for people with above-average
    intelligence, education, etc. (especially those with knowledge of Greek), that’s for sure!

The English is quite obvious to anyone who has no preconceived biases ...
    “... whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:35)
    “… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)
    “... let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous” (1 John 3:7)
    “… so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.” (Romans 6:19)
    and ... “(slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)

However, it is nice when the Greek substantiates what I already know, and what others refuse to accept ...

A male BAC has chosen to bless us with …

“… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)

"The Greek is in the present (continuous action) tense for the participle 'doing'.
    So the meaning is that everyone who continues to do righteousness (i.e. righteous actions)
    'has been born' (perfect tense).
    The perfect tense 'represents a present state resulting from a past action' (John Wenham).

So the meaning of 1 John 2:29 is that Jesus is righteous
    and those who have been born of God will continue to do righteousness.
    Thus, a born again person has the ability - given by God - to continue to live righteously."

After several people railed at him about Bible versions, he continued his explanation ...

"It doesn't matter whether one goes to the Textus Receptus Greek text used for the KJV
    or the Nestle-Aland/UBS Greek text for ESV, NIV, NRSV, etc,
    the word is identical - poiōn in the Greek of 1 John 2:29.
    The transliterated Greek word, poiōn, is a nominative, singular, masculine, present active participle of poieō."

What I have colored in blue refers to the leading and guiding of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Note: A person has to actually have this Holy Spirit to be able to understand and believe any of this!

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake ..." (Matthew 5:10)
    Verse 11 is kind of neat also, isn't it?

#22 evangelist-7, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What's neat is, nothing in this post even remotely suggest a Born of God Christian can lose their imputed righteousness. The post actually confirms how Born of God Christians live and are encouraged to continually live in Christ. The problem herein lies is the lack of understanding just what a Born of God Christian is.

Paul emphatically scolded the Christians in Galatia for allowing false teachers to pervert the gospel of Jesus Christ and allowing them to twist the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Now, you like good ole plain English, well here is as simple as it gets - NLT.....

Gal 3:1-3 - "Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ’s death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"

One has to ponder, did these foolish Galatians continue to reject the gospel's message, even after the Apostle Paul himself, speaking on behalf of the Holy Spirit, scolded them for adding human efforts to the promise of God to justify the sinner by faith alone apart from their human efforts? Did they remain fools, or did they repent and stop this nonsense of usurping the authority of Christ alone to save the sinner by grace?

Reminds me of how often God called the Israelites a stiff necked people for trying to do things their own way and not walking by faith with God. The Just shall walk by faith.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please don't lie and blaspheme the holy and righteous name of God.

You have stated your opinion and that is all. It had nothing to do with the Holy Spirit as it is contradictory to the Word of God.

Deal with Scripture.
    1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

According to your own statement; YOU:

Deceive yourself.
    The truth is not in you.
    Make Christ a liar.
    His Word is not in you.

These are not my statements. They are God's statements concerning you, because of the statement made by you in your quote above.

5. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Why do you believe that God has given His most precious Holy Spirit to indwell His most precious BACs?

No, this is not a trick question.
    It is just something that every BAC should be able to answer.

BTW, there are some people in about 98%(?) of churches who are not BACs.

#25 evangelist-7, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you hold to God imputing the rightiousness of Jesus towards our account, or that God actually infuses us with that rightiousness, so that he expects us toco operate with that Garce he supplied in order to keep doing good works right/long enough to merit keeping saved in the end?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

BAC?? "Bullies on American Colleges" Just guessing.
    Define your terms. I have no idea what your talking about when you use code.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based upon his postings, doubt that he does either!

9. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Yes, it's super-duper Christian code language like:
    1 John 4:2 and 3 ... "By this you know the Spirit of God:
    Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God ..."

You don't know what this means also, unless you remember the last time I explained it.

But, as for the mysterious (to you) BAC ... Born-Again Christian.

10. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Lotsa talk lately about the BAC's righteousness, or lack thereof.

IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
    and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Who would like to be the first to call into question old John's sanity?

He is saying a BAC's righteousness is conditional ...
    upon whether he chooses to confess (repent) of his sins, or not.

Not exactly a free-for-all ... but it’s a free choice for all.

At least God is happy ... it takes the responsibilty off Him.

What do you expect? ... He can't make anyone do anything anyway.
    Or, should I say? ... He chooses not to.

Yes, man's free will ... remains King of the hill ... Hey, that rhymes!

But, on the other hand, it doesn't have to rhyme to be true!

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why does the Bible tell the believer "Grieve not the Holy Spirit"
    "Quench not the Spirit of God."
    "Be filled with the Holy Spirit" (therefore many are not filled).

Obviously people do sin. They grieve and quench the Spirit that dwells within them. They do it often.
    John said the same thing in 1John 2:19. It is nothing new.
    Paul warned the Ephesian elders about the same thing in Acts 20:29ff.
    Jesus warned of the same thing in Matthew 7.

You are not saying anything new.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the will of man trumps the will of God that none saved by him ever perish, that all have eternal life?

13. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Posted by a Moderator elsewhere ...

I don't think I will abandon God, but as I have said it is a possibility enough for the scripture to warn us to not fall away.
    And yes, the key is we cannot fall from where we haven't been. An unsaved person cannot fall away, because they haven't been to the place to fall from. The ones that fall away disown God, not the other way around. The scripture warnings are
    there for a reason. Apostacy is not something made up by scared people. It is a concept in scripture a loving father has repeatedly warned His children about. He is not the author of confusion. It is clear he loves us enough to warn us, repeatedly. Why? He thought it was important, not an impossibility. Salvation can't be lost as in being misplaced. But it can be rejected. Many warnings of such. Nothing to lose peace over. It is something to praise God for the warnings. What would be the reason of losing peace if God thought enough about something to warn us about? A warning is a hugely gracious thing.

And I told him of a forum that stones Christians who come to them with warnings.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we come against you for teaching false doctrines concerning how a sinner gets right with God!

Its either grace or works, which is it?

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

It is by grace that you are saved, throuh faith, and that not of your selves. not of works, lest anyone suould boast.

16. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I would wager that this person would also reject your Mormonism doctrine that says we will be saved after we do all we can do.

First one must begin with justification. Is it by faith alone in Jesus Christ or faith plus works? If one decides it is faith plus works, then the above quote doesn't apply. If one decides it is faith alone, then the next question is....

see below......