1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maybe I should consider emigrating.

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by mioque, Nov 16, 2004.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

It's official the person elected to the title of greatest Dutchman ever is Pim Fortuyn, a politician whose only accomplishment was getting murdered recently right before an election.
    It was an internet election connected to a widely viewed television program especially created to elect the greatest Dutchy ever.
    Here was his competition (before people start thinking that there simply wasn't anybody else available).

Rembrandt van Rijn (famous painter)
    Willem van Oranje (the Dutch George Washington)
    Antoni van Leeuwenhoek (responsible for a host of biological discoveries including the existance of bacteria)
    Vincent van Gogh (famous painter)
    Anne Frank (who needs no introduction)
    Desiderius Erasmus ( who would need an introduction on any other messageboard but not on this one)
    Willem Drees (famous Prime Minister of the 50's)
    Johan Cruijff (sports hero)

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Goodness me Mioque, I guess if we had a similar poll in Oz the winner would be a sportsman possibly Don Bradman ( a cricketer) or an asinine fish and chip shop owner-turned politician..... cheers

3. mioque

mioque New Member

The good news is that apparently because of a foul up during the voting, not Fortuyn but Willem de zwijger (that's William the Silent for the english speakers out there), also known as Willem van Oranje was actually the winner.
    This means I won't have to emigrate to Iceland after all.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well Moique I hope you don't need psychlogical counseling like some of the Kerry voters over here do.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    mioque said:

"The good news is that apparently because of a foul up during the voting ... "

The Dutch, then, appear to be more like Americans than we think ...

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Mioque needs to see a "Shrink??"

Blackbird spends a lot of time countin' the tiles on the ceiling's, too!! And his doctor drives a Lexus!!! :D

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

What about Hugo DeVries, the great Dutch botanist who rediscovered Mendel's laws, and helped establish the modern science of Biology?

He was also, I believe, the first scientist to document the evolution of a new species.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hey, don't forget Corrie Ten Boom. Are you aware that I have lunch with her once a month? She' always lets me talk and never tells me to be quiet. Yep, she's buried at my local cemetary (Fairhaven Cemetary in Santa Ana). I've taken it upon myself to make sure her headstone is clean from time to time.