1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maybe you've missed this ...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by exscentric, Sep 8, 2009.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    approach.

From Crosswalk news email service.

Outreach Campaign
    Christian Today reports that one church is employing a bit of reverse psychology to make the community take notice. Metro South Church in Trenton, Mich., has put up billboards and signs signed by "Satan," who laments the church's commitment to the Gospel. "MetroSouthChurch.com Makes Me Sick" says one sign. "MetroSouthChurch.com Sucks," says another. "I've been trying so hard to work with you ... but you will not get rid of this Jesus thing," a man dressed a Satan says on the website. "I hate your church." The church's youth pastor says the marketing idea is meant to grab attention. "There's so much noise out there that if you don't do something that's a little bit more on the edge, people just ignore it," Adam Dorband said. The non-denominational church leaders say they hope the Trenton community will appreciate their congregation as a "different kind of church."

2. DrRandyGrace

DrRandyGrace New Member

Sounds like an interesting way to get the attention of some. :thumbsup:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we should be more focused on being different from the world and Christ centered rather than a different kind of "church'.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not a fan of such ads, but if they work, then the church should should be allowed to advertize as it sees fit.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not so sure about that approach since I don't really see that sort of thing in Scripture. I'd certainly not say that we need to make some "noise" to get noticed because God is able to be noticed above all the din if He wishes. I can say we'll not use that method of advertising for our church.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize there is a generational thing going on in the church but does the terminology bother any of you youngins?

"MetroSouthChurch.com Sucks," says another.

Yes, it is the in type of slang but will this "interest" the older generation that views this as way off color? Probably will target the youth for sure.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have yet to meet a truly unchurched person who saw a church ad on a bilboard and said, "Man, I really need to go and visit that church!"

Its a waste of money and poor stewardship imho. Usually these kinds of bilboards costs thousands of dollars a month per side...imagine that money being used to advance the Gospel in real, tangible ways.

We can effectively market a church. I believe that. It isn't evil to do so, but this just isn't sane nor good marketting. Sure, maybe it will be get some loosey-goosey church-goers who hit the local church carousel and hop churches every nine to twelve months. That isn't growing a church or spreading the Gospel imho. :)

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think about Franklin Ave Baptist in New Orleans that doesn't have a sign or do any marketing at all, yet there's standing room only. I think about the church I served in rural KY that was 10 miles west of the middle of nowhere but grew to the point it had to build.

That said, some Christians take pride in having their heads in the sand. Somewhere in the middle, maybe the Biblical approach lies?

9. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I kinda revert to what the Savior said... John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Using tactics like this makes me scratch my head sometimes. Is this really the way we are supposed to draw folks into God's House? Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Parson, the road sign is on the highways.... :tongue3:

This kind of thing really isn't that new. Jack Hyles once promoted in their children's church a boxing match between him and the "devil". Each round the devil would beat him up and he'd go back to his corner. After each round he'd show he was taking vitamins or exercise or something but he would still get beat. Just before the last round he brought out a big Bible and read it, and knocked the devil out to the roar of the kids.

The marketing scheme ain't me, but it really ain't new.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sounds like something Jack Chick would have illustrated in one of his awful tracts.

Reminds me of a poster my wife made. She teaches jr high at a Christian school, and this year, one of her classes is "keyboarding". Kids never save their work, so she came up with a poster that reads: "Jesus Saves. So Should You!"

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

NONSENSE! Everyone knows Rick Warren and Bill Hybels started all this! :laugh: