1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayberry Morality-- or Mountain out of Molehill

Discussion in 'TV Shows and Movies' started by Alcott, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another board I got a lot of negative responses to something I said about The Andy Griffith Show. This was that, even though I like the show, the characters sometimes go too far in their hypocrisy to 'keep from hurting someone's feelings.' This was in response to a latter season's episode in which a couple of phone messages are confused and Andy, having already had a spaghetti dinner, goes to accept an invitation to dinner which had not been offered. When the hosts realized there was some kind of mixup they cook another dinner (spaghetti). Then Andy gets the word that it was not they that invited him to dinner, but his 'girlfriend,' who had still another spaghetti dinner prepared, for which he is way late, to her indignation, and then she angrily admonishes him, "Eat!" when he appears uninterested.

Other posters derisively replied with "So you're not a fan?" and "You don't enjoy the show, do you?" and "That's the great thing about Mayberry-- people try not to hurt each others' feelings!"

It has come to mind to make a post like this on this board before, and now I finally had a little spurring on. Should we go to such an extent to please different people? (and there's no need to remind me it's 'only a show'). But, more significantly to me, is hypocrisy always a sin, even if it's meant to spare someone's feelings? Jesus certainly attacked hypocrisy, including under such circumstances-- such as when he accepted an Pharisee's invitation to a meal, didn't do the expected ceremonial handwashing, and directly insulted him for that practice. And TAGS does present lying in a justified way, such as the sheriff and deputy saying they like Aunt Bee's homemade pickles, which they really think are awful.

How far do you go hypocritically, dishonestly, to please people, or how far do you think is acceptable?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent questions! I have often thought about those subjects in the past myself.
    But to be truthful- I must leave shortly, so I will not be able to answer right now.

PS,
    Hope I didnt hurt your feelings

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, mine are rather thick.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s not a black or white issue (can I say that among this ‘woke’ generation?)

Use wisdom.
    The point of that ‘Mayberry’ episode was probably not to do things simply to please other people but that communicating effectively with those around you is better than simply caving in to another’s request to prevent possible hurt feelings.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Andy Griffith Show isn't among my favorite tv shows, but it's something I watch on occasion. The people of Mayberry are pretty fickle and it's easy to hurt their feelings (much like today's world, so not that far off reality). They also had a very difficult time properly communicating with each other and this directly leads to many of the plots, but many tv and movies rely on miscommunication or misunderstandings to drive the plot forward, whether for humor or drama. It gets old when it happens over and over across several shows or movies.

Really, though, Andy being a sheriff, he should have known how to tactfully get out of the situation early on. The fact he didn't say anything told me he didn't know how to handle the situation, which for a sheriff, doesn't give me much confidence in his people skills (even though he uses people skills and manipulation very well in other episodes!).

Personally I'm a non-confrontational person, but I don't think I would have gone as far as Andy did with eating so much spaghetti in one night (and spaghetti is one of my favorite dishes!). I think I would have put a stop to it at the second one. Because I would have eaten too much the first time.

6. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been in a somewhat similar situation, I can relate. For our first northern Maine Thanksgiving after moving from an apartment to a small house, we chose to have the full meal (we love turkey leftovers) despite there being only the three of us, and our son was only 5. About 10 minutes after we'd finished, the next-door neighbors, noting we had no Thanksgiving guests, asked us over to their dinner and we gulped and said yes. Meals in the St. John Valley tend toward heaviness, with loads of potatoes and thick fat-rich gravy. We did justice to the meal (and suffered a bit after returning home) but really appreciated the fellowship.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really meant for the subject here to be more generally about lying and hypocrisy to 'keep from hurting somebody's feelings.' A lot of polls have been taken and they show that most people think lying is acceptable if it's done for that reason. And I've always disagreed. Maybe the classic question often spouted today is a wife asking her husband "Does this dress make me look fat?" Being a lifetime single, I don't deal with that, but I might say, "if you look fat, it ain't that dress that does it." But if it is right to please other people by insincere words and actions, I think Jesus' words and actions at that host's home would have been quite different.

Another Mayberry example is when Aunt Bee agrees to do a daily live television cooking show and is worried about Andy and Opie being without her to cook supper for them. Andy lies and tells her he has hired a cook that she doesn't know, when he is tending to that chore himself, to the boy, Opie's, frustration (IOW Andy is not a very good cook). Can this possibly be morally acceptable?

8. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were the plot writers asking the same question? Did they get any feed back from the fans? Was the humor from TV shows of the 50's and 60's a psychological experiment to push the boundaries of a changing culture? A lot of shows at that time seemed to create humor over simple misunderstandings, and miscommunication.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's probably so. The show to check that out with is more likely I Love Lucy, the show defined the American sitcom. And at first it did go largely the way of comedy shorts seen in theaters-- ridiculous situations that strained for the big laughs. But as the show settled in, it did become humorous over more believable situations. And certainly these involved misunderstandings and hypocrisies. I think it's one of the first episodes in which "Ricky" brings home a very expensive fur coat, which Lucy thinks is for her, and she tells him it's great he didn't forget their anniversary. So he goes on letting her think the coat is hers, even staging a burglary to have it "stolen," rather than telling her the truth. When she does find out the truth, he sends her all kinds of anniversary gifts, lying and saying he bought them a week ago, "but the store forgot send them." Otherwise in the series, they frequently talk derogatorily about certain friends, and the friend shows up and they smile big and are so glad to see them (they say).

Even though I don't watch any new shows on television, I'm sure lying, hypocrisy,and miscommunication still makes up a big part of the plots (along with sexual humor and blasphemy). But is there anything left in the world that's funny? Maybe we've just done it all, and there is no direction to go but more and more outrageous by dishonesty-is-fun.

10. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Go along to get along.

#10 SGO, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean you approve of lies and hypocrisy with your family and friends?

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At some point, it might be worth considering the psychological impact of peers and culture on people, which can be quite damaging, and abandon this preoccupation with insisting on unvarnished truth.

Answering that classic question the way you suggest could be attacked in the same vein as going beyond "Let your yes be yes and your no, no."

Your answer is obviously always no, so why not just leave it at that? What good reason is there to add to it? One might easily interpret your addition as meeting some selfish need to insult, to tear down rather than build up.

13. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haha

Come on now

Mayberry
    Otis the Alcoholic
    Andy Chain smoker (tobacco we assume)
    Dancing
    Gossiping Galore
    Backbiting
    Revenge

14. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you share scripture with all those around you?

I admit that I remain silent often but if that means I approve of hypocrisy then I guess you have a point.
    I lived that way before Christ and if someone shared any part of a religious message with me without first demonstrating he wanted to relate to me as a person it would turn me off immediately.