1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MBBC President resigned under pressure

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Jul 26, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, paidagogos. I agree with all of this. Pride may be the biggest problem in the ministry, because it leads to many of the others.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

One obvious thing that seems to be overlooked is that nothing posted here indicates that Jaspers has denied the therapists' allegations. Several of you are saying "false accusations" and "innocent until proven guilty," but those expressions don't apply to the situation at hand.

The Board wasn't having meetings because of Jaspers' work schedule or because he had been alone with females or because he had lied to them (yet). They had four witnesses to "inappropriate behavior." But because trying this case would be beyond the Board's ability or responsibility, they limit their statements to "alone with females" and "lying," which are things about which there can be no shades of interpretation or "he said, she said" runarounds.

Four different therapists, who rub on men forty hours per week, complained about Jaspers. It's a good thing that Jaspers isn't trying to defend himself from "false accusations," as he'd have a heckuva time making any headway. He has denied seeking or receiving sexual gratification; but since we don't know what the accusations were, that doesn't constitute a denial of the accusations.

A good man? I don't know him. But most of the bad men I know are good men, too. It just depends on when and where they are. Is it a matter of percentage? "He's a good man 90% of the time." It's a meaningless label in such a case. Was King David a good man?

I speak kindly, as though I were speaking about my best friend in a similar circumstance: Jaspers is through.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

All that has been said is that the allegations were credible. Credible what?

I think the man did a much better job of trying to keep the peace than what has happened at other bible colleges and siminaries.

He could use a brother or two in Christ right now.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I must retract part of what I said. It seems that Dr. Jaspers could have done better on his egress technique than I tho't he did.

But, I must stand by the statements that there was not an indication of sexual impropriety. Rather it seems, he was confronted about inappropriate behavior and agreed to resign. Unfortunately, he was not as graceful on his egress technique as he should have been (especially after telling the board he would resign).

He got his hand slapped. IMHO. He will recover after he under goes some remedial counseling. I pray that he is able to continue in the ministry.

And He could use a brother or two in Christ right now.

5. Burrito Breath

Burrito Breath New Member

Remedial Counseling Amundo

Ifin 4 women tell my boss I gotta problemo; I gotta problemo!

Me think D.J. may have BEEG problemo;

Hopefully he King Jamez only. Then there be no problemo!

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. As you yourself mention later in this post, he wrote in his July statement: "My wife has had full knowledge of my use of massage therapy and has been fully supportive, even insistent, that I get help. My motive was strictly pain relief and nothing more. At no time has there ever been participation in, or desire for, that which would be immoral. At no time have I sought, or received, any sexual gratification."

You wrote, "That doesn't constitute a denial of the accusations." Of course it does!
    This is a nasty comparison. King David committed adultery and murder. Dr. Jaspers has been accused (granted, by four women) of improper conduct.

Please, don't ever speak kindly about me, comparing me to an adulterous murderer, as if you were speaking about your best friend.:eek: :eek:

7. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

What accusations is it a denial of? I don't even know what the accusations were. Do you? If you don't know that the accusations were seeking or receiving sexual gratification, then you don't know that his denial of those things was a denial of the accusations.

Did he ever say "Some women accused me of stuff, the Board believes them, but I deny it"? No, and he's obviously a bright and articulate guy. He never said it and he isn't going to say it, apparently, because he has consciously decided not to say it. From all appearances, such a denial would be prevarication.
    It wasn't a comparison. It was an illustration of how difficult it is to define a good man. People think that you're a good man, too. So do I. But I doubt that you do. And you're probably right.
    My "best friend" remark referred to "Jaspers is through," and not to some imagined moral equivalence between him and the man after God's own heart. I, you, and he get exactly one chance to mess up like this. I would take the same position regarding myself, my son, or my best friend.

We go through seasons in life--some of us, at least. When it's over, it's over, and it's time to do something else. I wish him the best, and may God help us all.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we'll just have to differ in our definition of "denial."

We're all just sinners saved by grace in the end, amen? I know my sins--I'm just glad not to know most other people's sins.

Amen.

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question for Pipedude?

Hey PD,

As I was looking over this thread I had a thought hit me (and that does not happen to me often so I took note!:laugh: ). Is the little "anger face" used in the intro line above and that you use in your signature indicative of your normal demeanor? If so why would you want to use such? What are you trying to have the ones who first see your thread responses to understand about yourself?

I am not asking to be offensive but for information purposes (and maybe to open up a dialog in another thread?).

And your motto:

"New Motto for Pipedude's Worldwide Fundamentalist Movement:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :mad:"

Is that what you really want to portray? I thought the Jack Hyles and J. Frank Norris' type of "fightin' fundamentalists" had long gone the way of the dinosaur? I thought there was a new "kinder" and "gentler" breed of IBF folk? Am I wrong?

Please in the sense of the new "kinder" and "gentler" IBF mindset and not in the old paradigm help a guy out who was reared in a Bob Jones context what you are trying to exhibit!

sdg!

rd:thumbs:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

Is there a rhetorical difference between IBF and IFB? Or is this truly a difference in nomenclature between two groups?

God bless

Wayne
    PS - I am still praying for our brother Jaspers.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pipedude

The accusations indicated that there was not an accusation of seeking or receiving sexual gratification, but accusations of inappropriate behavior for a Seminary/Bible College President. Since these were closed door sessions it is anybody's guess. But, maybe it is as simple as "he didn't tip enough to keep them quiet".

I cannot count the number of waitresses and waitors that would be kept quiet from complaining about how rude Christians are on Sunday nights - if we only tipped appropriately. Somewhere someone that I know I must trust said something about using filthy lucre to gain friends from the world.

Without an indication that the accusations were more than what has been stated officially - I will trust that the trustees are telling the truth. Maybe I do not want to trust Jaspers - but, I will give the board my trust & my prayers.

IMHO.

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I really don't understand why I do such things. I'm :) just :p having a :tongue3: good :smilewinkgrin: time. Hope you are, too.