1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McCain a Baptist?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TCGreek, Sep 16, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

2. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    can declare "Open Season" on him?

Tim Reynolds

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article states in part: "It's well known because I'm an active member of the (North Phoenix Baptist) church," the Arizona senator said. ... In a June interview ..., the senator said his wife and two of their children have been baptized in the Arizona Baptist church, but he had not. "I didn't find it necessary to do so for my spiritual needs," he said.

How could the Senator be a member of a Baptist church without having been baptised?

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The quote just goes to show the Senator's lack of understanding of baptism, Baptist polity, and what it means to a baptized member of a local Baptist church. What he is... is a sprinkled as an infant Episcopalian who happens to attend a Baptist church with his Baptist wife and kids. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying that he is not a believer... he just is not a Baptist believer. ;)

5. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Maybe he was previously baptized?

I guess if Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and Jimmy Carter can call themselves Southern Baptists, McCain can call himself a Baptist. The term is so wide as to lose any meaning. I think the Alleged Reverends Jackson and Sharpton call themselves Baptists, too.

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned anywhere the big headline this past week or so of him saying only Christians should be elected to office!

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Didnt he say his preference was for the President to be a Christian? That is quite a bit diferent than "only Christians should be elected to office".

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Other than it being an out and out attack on Christianity (as usual), i have no idea why such a big deal is being made of this. How many Muslims in MN voted for Keith Ellison because he was Muslim? How many Jews in WI voted for Russ Fiengold because he is Jewish? Or how about this...how many black Americans will vote for Barak Obama simply because he is black or women voting for Hillary because she is a woman??????

This is just another petty attack on Christianity. Personally i'm not supporting McCain right now, but i would vote for him if he is the GOP nominee...and if he truly is a Christian (not saying that he is or not) i would gladly say i'm voting for him for that very reason!

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, I forgot the exact wording of what he said.
    I just thought it was funny, because isn't he, like all the others, not conservative enough on some issues like abortion? (hence the push for a third party). So I was wondering if he was saying that just to try to impress Christians.