1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McLean Bible Church

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Nov 1, 2018.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I normally like visiting different churches when I travel. I was in northern VA last week and had the opportunity to hear David Platt preach at McLean Bible Church on Sunday. As you may know, he is also the head of the SBC International Mission Board. I really enjoyed the service and his preaching. While it probably wouldn't be "my church" if I lived there, I'm glad I visited last Sunday. If you are ever in the area on a weekend, I would recommend a visit.

2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last Lord's Day we were in France and attended the Bible Baptist Church in Laon. The pastor is an American missionary and is severely disabled and preahes from his electric wheelchair. He is over 70 will not retire until some one comes to replace him, or he is physically unable to carry on.
    The congreghation on Sunday was abouty 30, of which six were white including my wife and myself and the pastor and his wife, The rest were assylum seekers from central Africa, Ruanda, DC Congo and Burundi. YThey were all wpmen anmd children, the fathers we all kiolled in the wars.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not anymore he isn't!

When he started moonlighting at this Bible church last year, mission board trustees announced they'd "evaluate his involvement at McLean over the coming months to make sure that his commitment to the IMB remains the same."

Then, early this year, a search for a replacement was started. It was announced that "Platt will continue as president at IMB until a new president is elected."

But in September, trustees rethought that arrangement and "decided to release David from his commitment to the IMB in order to allow him to focus full time on his new role in gospel ministry at McLean Bible Church, and for the IMB to move forward into a transition period.”

An interim president is the head of the IMB for now:

Leadership - International Mission Board

4. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband I love David Platt's sermons. His servant's heart is a joy to behold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the correction. I also found this article from Christianity today from earlier in the year --

David Platt Is Ready to Leave the IMB

Also, it appears that McLean Bible Church joined the SBC back in 2016. In any event, we really enjoyed our visit there and worshiping with them last Sunday.