1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

McNetworking??

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Aug 19, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hooked the old mac laptop up to the home network. Network switch recognized it but could not figure out how to get the mac recognized on the other machines or they on it???? Any quick and easy solutions besides the mac in a tub of water? :tongue3:

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're using Mac OS 8, you won't be able to network with Windows computers without some additional software. The reason? Microsoft has no interest in networking Windows with any other system (and Windows from that era (mid 1990s) wasn't good at networking anyway). If you're going to try to use that Mac in a network, you need to upgrade the operating system to OS X, which is designed to easily network with just about anything. You can also try turning on Macintosh Services for Windows on your Windows server (if you have one) that will allow Macintoshes to interface with your network. If you don't have a Windows Server, you can try DAVE: http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html I used it when I was running Mac OS 9.1 in a small office network with nine Windows machines and two Macs.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have os8 on it and it can only go 9 from what I've read, not worth putting anything further into it. Was just a thought for a cheap network drive. Run a regular pc in garage to backup too, thought I'd save a little electricity.

Thanks.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Mac network w/ Windows

I have an older Mac desktop, G3/233mhz. I have upgraded to system 9.2.2. For our home network with my son's WindowsXP machine, I set the Mac in the TCP/IP control panel to:

Connect via: ethernet

Configure using DHCP server

Leave the DHCP client ID blank, the system will automatically take care of that.

The only problem we have had is with a couple of LynkSys routers.

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, will do some snooping. I can't have dhcp on with my system the way I use it but might be able to tweak something :)