1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ME (Millennial Exclusion) Posts

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by DeafPosttrib, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

2 Peter 2:12-22
    12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
    13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
    14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: a heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
    15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
    16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbade the madness of the prophet.
    17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest: to whom the mist of darkness is reserved forever.
    18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
    19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
    20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
    21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
    22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The comparison doesn't begin until v. 23

3. standingfirminChrist

James, did you notice they only had a knowledge of the Lord and not a relationship? I noticed it.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You mean there's a difference? :eek:

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Your point being... oh I know, believing on the Lord won't save you, you have to have a relationship!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thankfully they are not taken care of you or your theology.
    Let's work through this one step at a time. I know some will disagree with my theology, but it can be looked at two different ways. I'll give you both scenarios.
    Here is my own personal belief.
    The word "church" is translated from "ekklesia" which means assembly. Paul was writing to the assembly at Ephesus. I beleive that they were taking it personally. There was no "universal" church concept in the first century. That is something that came much later. So the Ephesus considered themselves the bride. But so would every other Bible-believing church. Christ gave himself for the church at Ephesus, and the church at Philippi, and the church at Jerusalem, etc. It is used generically. Just as we say: "Man has sinned." Which man? All mankind. Evrey man. Man is used in a generic way to encompass all men. "Church" is an assembly, to encompass all Bible-believing assemblies.
    The only time there will be one assembly is in heaven. There the bride will be assembled together--one assembly. This is the Biblical usage of the word. Most people don't follow this line of thinking.

Most people believe in a "church universal" in that Christ died for the church--a universal invisible church composed of all believers on the earth. I don't know how you get that meaning out of Scripture since ekklesia means assembly, and how do you get an unassembled assembly.
    Regardless of the way you look at it, Christ died for all believers. All believers make up the church--whether it is gathered on earth (now), or in heaven (future) is really a moot point and is up for another theological discussion. The fact is that all believers make up the bride.

One doesn't look at the bride as indiviualistic, but rather as a corporate body (when in heaven). Because one beleiver is not as holy as he ought to be does not taint the whole bride.
    Besides that, since every believer has been made perfectly holy, perfectly righteous, with all sins forgiven (at the time of salvation), the bride is perfect in every way. With every new believer added he is made holy and sanctified at the day of salvation. The process of sanctification throughout his life as he grows in Christ is a different story.

7. standingfirminChrist

They did not truly believe in the Lord.

Had they believed, they would have not been spots.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

A relationship? I thought you just had to have faith to be saved.

9. standingfirminChrist

They did not even have faith. All they had was a knowledge.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What's the verse that indicates they were spots?

In order to be saved I have to have a relationship and become one of these? [​IMG]

12. standingfirminChrist

They had a knowledge of the truth. The did not have the Truth.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If one has faith do they have a relationship? Or is a relationship separate from faith?

Was this written to lost people?

"Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame." - 1 Corinthians 15:34

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The text doesn't say that. SFIC says that. Just like the text doesn't say the Lord, Lord criers were lying. SFIC says that. I'll take what Scripture says over what SFIC says any day of the week and twice on Sunday if you don't mind.

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

1 Timothy 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

2 Peter 3:13-14
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Ephesians 5:26-27
    26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

The washing comes after salvation. I believe it was Lacy who pointed this out recently, but first comes the altar, then the laver.

16. standingfirminChrist

20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

Jesus said He is the Truth (John 14:6.

They only had a knowledge of the truth. They were not saved.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

And what praytell does 'escaped the pollutions of the world' mean?

2 Peter 3:18
    18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.

No, peter, the knowledge of the Lord will not help these folks.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

And so what is your point? As we study His Word we are cleansed by it. David said:
    Psalms 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?
    The answer:
    by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

It is the Word of God that cleanses.
    It is a growing process in the life of a believer.
    It does not affect who is in the bride or the nature of the bride. It only affects our relationship with Christ--how close we walk with him.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Our relationship with Christ is exactly what we are talking about. Growing in the knowledge of Christ, and getting washed by the water of the word.

John 13:6-10
    6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
    7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
    8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
    9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
    10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

Jesus said once you are washed, you don't need to be washed again, except for your feet. But does every believer come to the word to have his feet washed?

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I can just imagine what the ME folks are saying. To sum it up:

Belivers are dirty, I tell you! They are disobedient and they deserve 1,000 years of hell! Why won't any of you listen to my good news?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.