1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Media Matters as a "news" source

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 25, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Media Matters has one purpose for their existence.

http://mediamatters.org/etc/about.html

Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.

Hardly unbiased. Hardly news.

Funded by:

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200503%5CSPE20050303a.html

A Cybercast News Service examination of Brock's financial records and public documents showed that the heavily funded Soros liberal think tank, The Center for American Progress, (CAP) was instrumental in getting Brock's media group off the ground.

Former Clinton administration chief of staff John Podesta, the current president of (CAP), also confirmed to the New York Sun that his group provided office space and logistical assistance to Brock in 2004.

Soros has reportedly given $3 million to CAP and its senior vice president, Morton H. Halperin, is also the director of Soros's Open
    Society Institute.

As well as other wealthy liberals. They're not interested in "news". They're only interested in spinning whatever news there is to liberal advantage.

Run by:
    http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/saturday_school/article_063001.shtml

The Real David Brock
    By Charles J. Ogletree Jr.

June 30, 2001, Boston Globe

DAVID BROCK, the former darling of conservatives whose initial claim to fame was his blistering and substantially false attack on Anita Hill's credibility, has now acknowledged what many of us knew: He is a liar willing to go to great lengths to damage the careers of innocent people. His confession of the many lies he has perpetrated comes as no surprise to those of us who knew his claims were false when they were made. Regrettably, his recent change of heart comes much too late.

A thouroughly despicable character and admitted liar.

"News" is not something a liberal goes to Media Matters for. They go for affirmation of their agenda.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While I agree with you that it is neither unbiased nor a legitimate news source, would you consider a website dedicated to monitoring, analyzing, and correcting liberal misinformation in the media to likewise being neither objective nor news?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree with you that it is neither unbiased nor a legitimate news source, would you consider a website dedicated to monitoring, analyzing, and correcting liberal misinformation in the media to likewise being neither objective nor news? </font>[/QUOTE]In general, yes. I suspect you have one or more in mind. Want to share them?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't necessarily have a specific in mind. I was just curious if you were consistent (which you are).

Some will consider liberally agendized sources to be bunk, yet will consider conservatively agendized sources to be some kind of holy grail. Go figure.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

That is funny: you should read what he says about several "Conservatives" that he knew when he was one of them. As a matter of fact, notice what side of the political spectrum he was working for when he was lying.......

Well, to reaffirm what you actually posted:
    If you would like to refute anything they say, or prove that they are wrong on any of their stories, then by all means go ahead and expose them.

6. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

DAVID BROCK, the former darling of conservatives whose initial claim to fame was his blistering and substantially false attack on Anita Hill's credibility, has now acknowledged what many of us knew: He is a liar willing to go to great lengths to damage the careers of innocent people. His confession of the many lies he has perpetrated comes as no surprise to those of us who knew his claims were false when they were made. Regrettably, his recent change of heart comes much too late.

So he turned from doing evil to do good ..sounds
    like repentance to me and it is never too late
    if the human heart is still beating...good for
    him and God Bless him.

Lee Atwater had a death bed conversion as well and wrote a book and he repented and it wasn't
    to late for him either...perhaps next will be
    Drudge,Rove,Limbaugh,Coulter,Savage, and O'reilly

What is happening is the Right Wing noise machine
    is being matched and they don't like it....they
    taught others how to bottom feed as well and our
    nation suffers for it.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Baptist in Richmond

HA!
    Just as I had expected........

You have yet to show that they have not been truthful. Like I said, you are more than welcome to show us anything they have posted is not accurate. I asked you for this, and this reply was all you offered. Sounds to me like your hollow claims are simply "agenda affirmation." That is, of course, unless you can offer even one story that can be refuted.

Don't forget that a claim without proof is simply an opinion, not fact........

9. One View

One View New Member

10. Petrel

Petrel New Member

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Media Matters also considers your link to be untruthful; read their rebuttal here (linkie).

While Media Matters has a definite biased agenda - pointing out lies, distortions and biases of the rightie media - they give links to the original stories so readers can compare the comments to what is being commented on and draw their own conclusions.

The links to the original stories alone makes Media Matters a legitimate news source.

12. Baptist in Richmond

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those looking for affirmation of their agenda will, of course, continue to use media matters.

If I want to know what media matters take on a subject is, I'll just go the the DNC website. [​IMG]

14. Baptist in Richmond

One more time, carpro:
    If you would like to refute anything they say, or prove that they are wrong on any of their stories, then by all means go ahead and expose them.

Remember: a claim without proof is merely an opinion....

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK! You asked for it. You wanted a "news" source to counter your "news" source (media matters) on the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

http://www.swiftvets.com/

You'll find hundreds, maybe even thousands of "news" links there supporting the swiftboaters truths.

I don't expect to hear from you for a couple of weeks. There's a ton of reading to do, but it's all there. Enjoy.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

And here's some for you:

Rebuttal #1 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #2 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #3 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #4 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #5 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #6 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #7 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #8 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #9 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #10 (linkie)
    Rebuttal #11 (linkie)
    Another rebuttal...
    And another...

I expect to hear from you right away, as I seriously doubt you'd ever read anything that contradicts what you already think you know.

17. Baptist in Richmond

I thought you were going to give us a "'news' source," carpro. You merely gave the website for the SwiftVets. Exactly where do they counter what is found at Mediamatters.org?

I asked for proof to support what you say about MediaMatters, and you offer the SwiftVets website. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As for the SwiftVets, and their "truths," allow me to provide you with the links I used in another discussion thread:

I have been to that website several times, and I even read that pathetic book.

But go ahead, take your time.....

BiR

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you were going to give us a "'news' source," carpro. You merely gave the website for the SwiftVets. Exactly where do they counter what is found at Mediamatters.org?

I asked for proof to support what you say about MediaMatters, and you offer the SwiftVets website. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BiR
    </font>[/QUOTE]Since media matters is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the left and not a "news" source at all, I thought I'd let the Swiftvets speak for themselves.
    [​IMG]

19. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Media Matters is a newsource to those who want
    to see both sides just as Brent Bozels sites
    deal with bias from his point of view...so what
    is the big deal..both sites are dealing with
    setting the record straight from their pov.

I think the right is frustrated that moderates,
    libertarians, progressives, and others are just
    catching up to them and can now quickly respond
    to bias from rush,bill,ann,malkin,ingraham,hannity,robertson, and others. In the past their propaganda was
    allowed to go unchallenged and it was just propagated into a monster where the lie has
    a life of its own.

What is wrong with that they are providing a service...people may see the swiftboats as the
    Judas that they are and some may be thankful
    they were able to hurt Kerry when they did so
    as to sully his purple hearts.

I think the right-wingers are whining to much.imho

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should simply deal with the issues, regardless of what source someone uses. I'm not sure there is such a thing as an "unbiased" news source anymore. Maybe there never truly was but I think news reporting was better in the 1960s and 1970s in the daily newspapers and weekly magazines. I have never considered the "news" sources on the Internet as being unbiased.