1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Medical Insurance/Back to school options

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 2, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presently at my job I do not have medical insurance. What ways or what options do I have besides paying for a separate BlueCross/BlueShield plan? Dental I have had to cover by pocket, but I would "like" to get new glasses.

Also I am thinking there is no way in the world mathematically that I am going to be able to pay off my student loans with my present income, so I have had some thoughts about returning to school to get more job skills which can lead to a better paying career. I have listened to many Ramsey podcasts and he very often tells callers with a debt to income ratio like mine (whom have the opportunity) to return to school, or to increase their income. I heard a couple yell out their debt free scream, and when they started the journey that had a income similar to mine (which is 30K before taxes) but they finished their race by more than doubling their income. The husband got a much better paying job, and the wife got one as well, making it far easier to payoff large debts.

I will not go back to school if I have to take on loans, or pay out of pocket. Besides applying for financial aide, are there any new back to school programs that I can take advantage of?

John

#1 evangelist6589, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

Study what in school?

3. pilgrim_99

pilgrim_99 Member

I tend to disagree with Ramsey when it comes to student loans. (IIRC he says they are ok unlike other kinds of debt.) But I wouldn't make absolute statements on that in particular either way. I do think he has been helpful in getting people to live within their means, motivating them to get out of debt, which includes the idea that you can even be debt free in the first place. A lot of people think that "you're always going to be in debt."

However, it sometimes seems that Ramsey assumes that his listeners are high powered professionals or else have the capacity to be one. His whole program (i.e. ALL the steps) is premised on people being able to self-insure WRT life insurance, which is why he is 100% opposed to any kind of whole or permanent life insurance. But without it, many low and middle income Americans will end up with little or no coverage at all by the time they reach retirement age.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you could join the military (or even the Air Force) I understand there is a program to pay off student loans.

In addition, there are ample opportunities to share the Gospel. While in Wildflecken, I had the opportunity to start a local independent Baptist church!

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

(What I'm about to say may sound harsh. It's not meant to be. It's meant to be serious advise.)

You are constantly on here looking for advise to all of life's problems. You are looking in the wrong place. We can't help you. No one on this forum can help you with the problems you want answers for.

We don't know you and your situation well enough. We don't know how old you are. We don't know your personality. We don't know your intelligence level. We don't know your motivation. We don't know how hard of a worker you are. We don't know a thing about you.

We aren't qualified to even begin making a guess on what you should do with your life.

You need to find someone in your life that can mentor you and help you figure things out. Do you have a mom or dad, an uncle, a family friend, a pastor, a wise Godly man at church, someone that you can trust and confide in? You need to find that person. You need to go to them and ask for their help in finding your direction in life. You clearly have none at this point and based on your posts, I'm assuming you are somewhere in your 20's. If that's the case, you need to figure out some direction.

Again, not meaning to be harsh, but you need to man up, stop looking for advise on the Internet, and get motivated to solve your life's problems.

6. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well put Matt.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something computer related perhaps. Or maybe Medical Billing.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what his policies are on life insurance. I do know that he very often encourages people deep in debt with 30K or lower incomes to find a better paying job. This is what needs to happen in my case if I am to ever become debt free. I never and not once have heard him tell a caller making 30K or less with large debts to never go out to eat, or to own a smart phone. These expenses are pinches in the wind and, especially for those that go out to eat only on rare occasions (less than 5 times a month at restaurants less than $15 a meal).

#8 evangelist6589, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am 34 years of age going on 35. I understand they would not take me.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what someone else said on another board.

I am taking that advice and will seriously consider it when I call BlueCross/Blue Shield.

Matt there is nothing at all wrong with asking for advice on these types of issues online. MILLIONS of people do everyday on FaceBook, Twitter, Linked In, among other message boards.

John

#10 evangelist6589, Jun 3, 2012
  11. matt wade

Huh? You found something unkind towards your in my words?

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out the National Guard or Reserves

13. billwald

billwald New Member

>Or maybe Medical Billing.

I knew a pot head who paid the bills by transcribing medical reports on line at home. All you need is typing lessons and a medical dictionary.

14. matt wade

Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

Again, we don't know you. Advise like you are looking for is something that needs to be personalized to the individual asking for the advice. I stand by what I said. You need someone personal in your life that can help mentor you and determine direction for your life. What I've said is of even greater importance because you are older than I suspected. You are in your mid 30's and have no idea what you want to do.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe, maybe.. I am already a billing clerk.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need no such person, and besides attempts to find one in the past have failed. I am working at a job yes. Many millions of people work at jobs that they do not love. According to Erwin Lutzer this is common and there is no guarantee that i will find a job that I "love."

I have 5 career books and have read through them. I may take another career profile test when I visit the college this week or next week. You talk like I am some alien from some other planet. Many people change careers, this is normal.

17. matt wade

I don't talk to you like you are some alien. I talk to you like you are a mid 30's man with no direction in life. Unless you want to continue this path then you need to do something to change it. Obviously your "career books" and asking for advice online because "MILLIONS of people do everyday on FaceBook, Twitter, Linked In, among other message boards." isn't working too well for you.

I'm trying to give you some well reasoned advise to help you get your life in order. You really don't want advise though. All you want is for some people to agree with you on whatever you are thinking.

Here's my last word on the thread, then I'm not going to waste my time any more. Stop worrying about what Dave Ramsey says. Stop worrying about what's in the career books. Stop worrying about what people on the Internet say (including me). Stop thinking that you can't do work that you love (or at least like).

Figure out what you are passionate about. Set goals for yourself to get yourself into a position to do whatever that thing is. Work HARD towards the goals. Don't give up. Don't let anything get in your way. Strive to make yourself better. Sacrifice now so that you can better yourself later.

You are a grown man now. You aren't getting any younger. You worry about being in the "singles group" at church. You are too old for that nonsense. If you want to meet a woman that is worth anything, get your life in order first. Figure our who you are and what you want to do. If you do those things, all the while putting God first, everything else will fall into place.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an attack against single people in general and what it communicates is that singles whom are in their 30's have something wrong with them. Some churches practice discrimination and I do not hang around those places long. Get my life in order first? Yes Matt I work, I have a job, I have a place that I rent, I am serving in the ministry in my church. I am accomplishing my goals, I am saving money.

Matt why do you make so many assumptions? My goodness.

#18 evangelist6589, Jun 3, 2012
  19. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find nothing sarcastic about matts post.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find nothing unbiblical about MacArthur or Jeremiah's eschatology. They are spot on and right from the Bible.