1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Medical marijuana

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

This drug is illegal, but can be obtained with a prescription.
    Do you think it would be wrong to use it as a perscribed drug?
    I don't want this to turn into an argument over whether it's right or wrong in general. It's illegal, mind altering, and therefore wrong to use for recreational purposes.
    The question is purely from a medical standpoint.
    Gina

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I'm not personally in favor of it. The active ingredient in marijuana (THC) is available as a pill called Marinol. It doesn't seem to have alot of mind altering effects. It works well for appetite stimulation in AIDS patients. I have occasionally prescribed this but am against "medical marijuana"

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a person suffering pain 24/7 that even morphine cannot help, I am 100% IN FAVOR of medical marijuana that dulls some of the pain receptors in the brain.

God created all for man's benefit and medicinal useage (NOT misuse, recreational like alcohol has become) is high on my list.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Charles, does the pill have the same effects as smoking it would have?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina - most do not smoke medical mj. We use it baked in cookies and brownies. Remember, 95% of the folks with my non-diabetic related disease got it from drugs, most often the drug cocktail for HIV.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Dr. Bob, the husband of one of my helpers in VBS and AWANA is mid 50's and has per. neuropathy too. He's a big guy but not overweight and has never smoked, drank, used drugs, etc. Doctor's have no idea why he's ill either. He had to miss church today because of the pain. He told me a few weeks ago that it felt like a hot ice pick being shoved right up through his heel. My heart aches for you!

Diane

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh, ok. I learned something new. [​IMG]
    Out of curiosity, do you have to bake it? Could you make a tea out of it and get the same benefits?
    Gina

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

They say that smoking one joint of pot does the same amount of damage to the lungs as a whole pack of unfiltered cigarettes. So "smoking" marijuana for medical reasons seems self-defeating. You would trade one disease for another.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in favor of medicinal marijuana use.

I do not buy the argument that since THC can be taken in pill form, marijuana should not be able to be used medicinally, and here's why. There is an economic incentive for the pharmaceutical industry to keep marijuana illegal; if marijuana could be used as a painkiller and could be home-grown, then each individual would not be continually shelling out cash for prescription medicine, which is extremely expensive. The drug companies would obviously take a hit if they lost the continual profits of selling painkilling drugs, so they naturally oppose medical marijuana.

10. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I guess I should clarify my initial post. I certainly don't think ill ofv someone like Dr Bob who would certainly use it responsibly - but I'm a little uncomfortable with widespread legalization of use except for the worst cases. I fear it would be abused by many doctors and patients. Just my opinion! [​IMG]

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. Vicodin is a mood-altering drung, but it is beneficial if taken under a doctor's care.

That being said, if a person uses medication (incluing marijuana) to medicate themselves without a doctor's approval, they're likely sinning, imo.

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I have never smoked pot in my life and have no interest in it. I am glad it is illegal. Since there are cases in which it has positive medical benefits, I think that is a good thing. I said all of that to say this, If I had a medical condition which marijuana would help, I'd be all over them brownies, pills, teas, joints, etc. like Bugs Bunny on a carrot. [​IMG]

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Well, I think it should only be available on a doctor's prescriptuion . . .

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why did God Create Marijuana? Maybe it was for a pain killer. Even Paracetamol has side effects that can kill you and we use that without to much worry.

Mary Jane will give you lung cancer, yet if you are already dying of a disease it is not the issue, if however your pain is not connected to a life threatening condition, ingesting it would be the way to go.

What I find interesting is the many uses that hemp has for manufacturing a whole range of goods, yet because of its illicit nature it is restricted.

I think that one idea that governments could use to stop heroin trafficking is to give it away. People will still keep on using it, yet you will take away the criminal acts used to obtain it and drop out the market for the drug dealer. Then you could try and get the user to switch to Methadone or a similar quitting programme.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True, but God also created poison ivy. I ain't a gonna smoke that, either. [​IMG] However, I agree with you. If there are positive medical benefits, then I see nothing wrong with it use under a doctor's care from a Christian perspective.

16. delly

delly New Member

If it is legalized for medical use would it be covered by Insurance? If so, the drug companies would probably raise the price to twice what it would be if the patient simply purchases it without Ins. coverage.
    I have heard of this happening with other drugs. The drug would be say $1,000 per month without ins. When the Ins. company decided they would cover it, the price from the drug company doubled to $2,000 per month, thereby sticking it to the Ins. as well as the patient.

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's precisely why patients should be allow to grow the marijuana themselves in small quantities ;) .

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be legal. Allowing for the abuses that are bound to happen for any drug the benefits far out way the "stoner" reputation marijuana has earned. Being against drug abuse doesn't mean you have to be against the rightful use of any drug.

19. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan New Member

I use to smoke a whole lot a marijuana growing up. I'm glad it is illegal (I believe alchole is worse than marijuana should be illegal also.)
    But I also believe it is okay to use maijuana if prescribed by a doctor for pain. My understanding from what I have read is its very effective.
    Bob