1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mel Gibson, The Passion of Jesus Christ, and Baptists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by andy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So you don't ask others to pray for you, do you? I mean, come on, at least be consistent.

Also, as I stated before, you are not silent where the Bible is silent. You have taken a side using your understanding, just like the Catholics take the other side. And I am sorry, but the Revelation verses do not describe a scene on earth, but rather a scene in heaven. I do not teach or even necessarily believe in asking saints to pray for you, but I am honest enough to not dismiss it outright with no evidence that it doesn't take place. And if you want to play the proof card, please give some that they don't see what happens on the earth. Or is that just what you believe, based on your interpretation of the Scriptures, without any solid evidence?

In Christ,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]The evidence for not praying to saints in Heaven is overwhelming. The evidence for saints in Heaven praying for saints on earth is overwhelming.

1. Praying to those in Heaven constitutes necromancy (praying to the dead), no matter which way you take, a practice condemned in the Bible.

2. No matter how the Catholics try to worm their way out of this their prayers (many of them) are directly addressed to Mary. They pray to Mary and not to God. I did this as a Catholic when I prayed the rosary. When I prayed a Hail Mary, it was Mary I had in mind, not God. To say otherwise would be hypociritical.

3. All prayer is worship. You can't divide up prayer into different parts. Prayer is worship and worship is due only to God. Take the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, a standard work among many denominations and look at its definition of prayer:

DHK

3. Meercat

Meercat New Member

DHK-

So, you say that Catholics have a doctrine of "pewology"....hmmmm....Veeery eeenteresstink!

Pardon the silliness, but WE aren't the ones going out on weekends trying to do "soul-winning" and giving out awards to people for having the most people invited to our church. When it comes to trying to fill the pews, I'd say the Baptists do this par excellence!.....is this sarcasm or something negative on my part.....NOT AT ALL! We Catholics should do the same, but we don't use the emotional "strong-arm" tactics that are too frequently employed. So, quitcherbeefin' and love your Catholic neighbor because he or she is NOT your enemy! It is NOT a sin to try and understand why we believe what we do anymore than it if for us to learn from you. - Meercat

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I love the Catholics, Meercat; just hate the doctrine. The comment you refer to was to point out that the Catholics spend their time defending doctrines which are not found in the Bible, and are impossible to prove from the Bible. We derive our doctrine from the Bible, not from the Pope, the magesterium, or a catechism--but from the Bible alone.

Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise. [​IMG]
    DHK

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All prayer is communication. Prayer to the dead (no matter which dead you select) is necormancy.

There is not a single argument made "for this" in scripture.

In Christ,

Bob