1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorial Day: "The Loss of Proportion"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 27, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/290/30/

The loss of proportion
    from The Chicago Sun-Times, May 30th 2004

By: Mark Steyn

EXCERPT

There is something not just ridiculous but unbecoming about a hyperpower 300 million strong whose elites - from the deranged former vice president down - want the outcome of a war, and the fate of a nation, to hinge on one freaky jailhouse; elites who are willing to pay any price, bear any burden, as long as it's pain-free, squeaky-clean and over in a week. The sheer silliness dishonors the memory of all those we're supposed to be remembering this Memorial Day.

Playing by Gore-Kennedy rules, the Union would have lost the Civil War, the rebels the Revolutionary War, and the colonists the French and Indian Wars. There would, in other words, be no America. Even in its grief, my part of New Hampshire understood that 141 years ago. We should, too.

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Yes, am I'm sure that they would also have condemned FDR for not only going to war against Adolph Hitler but also making his defeat the top priority for the US in World War 2.

After all, it was the Japanese that attacked us, not the Nazis. Hitler "posed no real threat to our vital interests," did he? :tonofbricks:

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That was a great article and so very true! I don't recall seeing it back in 2004 but it's just as good today as then.