1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by carpro, May 29, 2017.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I stepped out on the back porch this morning and was greeted by a mild 70 degree, windless, sunlit day, it hit me...it's Memorial Day.

Suddenly, My feeling of euphoria disappeared. Don't get me wrong, friends. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. I truly hope you all have a great day. But this day is not a "happy" one for a lot of veterans.

Can we enjoy the festivities? Certainly. But often my mind conjures up a vision of some young man who did not come home. It makes for a kind of a melancholy day.

Vietnam was my war. 2.7 million served in that war. 9% of Army soldiers that served in Vietnam were killed or wounded. 22% of the Marines that served in Vietnam were killed or wounded. My battalion, 3rd Recon BN, USMC, had a casualty rate of 40%. We all have someone to remember.

So, I'm going to fly the flag, stay home, and enjoy the day with my wife. Later, I plan on broiling a couple of steaks. We will eat well. I was married to this woman when I was in Vietnam. I can't imagine how many times she wondered if she would ever see me again. She understands my moods. There is no one better on this earth for me to share this day with. Have a pleasant day, and take a moment to remember someone that gave their life so that you could celebrate a holiday in peace, and without fear.

Semper Fi.

• Like Like x 4