1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorization???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by untangled, Nov 26, 2004.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    untangled "I feel stupid going to seminary not being able to find the exact verse to support biblical truth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

My opinion: You are near calling God dumb for creating you the way you are - :) He has you exactly like HE wants you so be steady where you are and who and what you are.

Fact. Some people can not memorize. I have run into dozens of people that can go over and over a verse and either never get it or it is gone the next day.

Fact. As you age everything goes downhill including memory. I can rejoice, I am near the bottom and it will only very suddenly get better :)

I know your feeling because I are one of them folk. I struggled in all levels of school to succeed and memory work was almost a total loss on me. I, fortunately could memorize enough for a test but that is about how long it lasted and didn't always last that long.

I carry a pocket computer with a Bible program as has been suggested. There is a thread in the computer section on pocket pc's if you are interested.

It is true, just type in a word or two and it pops up all the occurances - my problem is that I can't remember the words to input :)

You might check into dyslexia as a possible problem if you have trouble memorizing as well as other learning problems - if it is a real problem for you and a pocket pc is out of the question :)

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I posted earlier I've learned a few verses in about two days, however they were already familiar to me. I'm not trying to call God dumb (I know that you didn't mean it literally) but I just wanted to be able to memorize some of the key verses on doctrinal issues. This is embarrassing but I always had to look up the fruit of the Spirit until a couple days ago. I went to school four years for ministry and couldn't remember what all of the fruit was. I just want to be better equipt in any way I can.

I am going to ask for a pocket pc for Christmas though.. hehe

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thanks for the site.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I really wouldn't worry aout it. Memorizing bible verses does not make one a biblical scholar. It only makes one a biblical reciter. Knowing scripture doesn't have anything to do with reciting scripture.

You will find that, over time, as you study scripture, and certain scriptures start speaking to you personally, your mind will, on its own, commit those verses to memory.

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen Johnv.

It is easy for me to remember what scripture says, however it gets harder when it comes to remembering it word for word. You are right. Over time I will learn more and it will come more naturally.

In Christ,

Brooks

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Even if you dont remember the verse word for word, just an attempt at memorization seems to help me find it in the Bible when I need it.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering if anybody has been better at memorizing Bible verses this year?

Salty

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Salty, I realized about 5 years ago that I was memorizing the scripture I was teaching to my AWANA class. We learned it to music.

You can buy scripture songs or if your church has AWANA, ask them to sell you all the 'verse tapes' in the version you prefer. When the preacher says he's preaching today from 1 Corinthians 15 your head will begin singing...

3b Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Untangled, I learned the Fruit of the Spirit from a kids song by Steve Green.

The Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness. The Fruit of the Spirit is Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control. If you live by the Spirit you will walk in peace with your brother....

I also learned the planets from Blues Clues. :blush:

Oh the sun's a hot star. Mercury's hot too. Venus is the brightest planet. Earth's home to me and you. Mar's is the red one. Jupiter's most wide. Saturn has those icy rings. Uranus spins on it's side. Neptune's really windy. Pluto's really small. You wanted to name the planets and now you've named them all. ONE MORE TIME....

10. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane,

That's a good way to learn it.

By the way: I take it you listen to Steve Green. What CD is the song "Safely Home" on? It's the song inspired by Voice of the Martyrs.

Psalm104,

That is very true. I can't remember word for word but I can find the scripture I'm seeking more easily now.

In Christ,

Brooks