1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorization

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, May 1, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

...so it's OK to translate the Scriptures.

...just don't use another translation...

errrrr....OK.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cute. I am a GOD'S WORD onlyist, not a man-made translation onlyist.

I used only the KJV1769 oxford revision for 20 years. At LEAST 1/3 of each sermon was devoted to explaining and defining words and texts that were obscure to any modern reader.

That is 100% undeniable.

Then I began preaching in a congregation where only a few used the KJV or NKJV; most others used the NASB or a few the NIV. All of a sudden I was freed to go into great depth and insight in the TEXT, not wasting time trying to make sure everyone knew the archaic language, phrasing and words. The modern translations, though no more perfect than the old translations, helped people to get the gist of what was said in words/phrasing they understood!

Now, brother, you and I know those archaic words. We can figure out the phrasing because we've been immersed in Jacobean English. But to the vast majority of Christians, I pray that they use (from pulpit and pew) a translation that the "meanest ploughboy" can understand and not be lost in a maze of the unfamiliar and unintelligible.

For most, using the archaic translations means they become DEPENDENT on the managawd to tell them what it means. How sad is that? (or how does that elevate his puny ego into thinking he is "the" man)

Might as well use the Latin Vulgate; they'd understand it about as well.

#62 Dr. Bob, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is, what's WRONG with it????????????

God did NOT retire in 1611; He still superintends His word today, seeing that ir's available in TODAY'S languages & language styles, which HE created in the first place.

Today, we are doubly blessed with God's word, having some 600 years' of English translations available to us, giveng us a broad overview of the Scriptures. I believe this is part of the end-times increase in knowledge that was prophesied to Daniel.

4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, the same thing that people find wrong with being a KJVonliest? :confused:

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My God is too big to limit Himself to only one translation in one language, so I copy Him- I use the Spanish Reina-Valera 1960, the ESV, the NIRV, the EVD, whichever fits the needs of the audience I am speaking to. I also use the 1769 KJV if I go to a place where that is required, which is only rarely now.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only we multi-version users don't try to cram our beliefs down someone's throat as the KJVOs do ours. We might sometimes make rough responses, but they're almost always triggered by some KJVO's ad-hominem attack.

And yes, there ARE some wing nuts among us multi-versionists, same as there are among the KJVOs. ("Pastors" Stephen Anderson & Freddie Phelps come to mind!)