1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Memorizing the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by sanderson1769, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanderson1769

sanderson1769 New Member

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Anderson,

I enjoyed looking at your church's website. While I cannot agree with you on much of what you say in your essays and sermons, I was very touched when I saw your picture of your family. It was a very sweet picture and I prayed for all of you.

As far as memorizing scripture, I think it is wise.

It is part of hiding His Word in our hearts.

However, there is more to the power of scripture than mere memorization of it. It must be understood correctly, applied with wisdom, and recalled readily, not for knowledge's sake, but for the sake of changing our lives and the lives of others.

Let me give you an example.

Bill Gates has said that he had to memorize the "Sermon on the Mount" as a child and that he still has it memorized.

Bill Gates also says that he is not a believer. How sad for him. He has memorized more scripture than have most Christians I know. And yet, he was not transformed nor made wise.

Let's not memorize for the sake of memorizing, but for transformation's sake.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. standingfirminChrist

wise advice, Scarlett!

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yep. I teach all the kids (and adults) that it is more important to learn the Bible than to memorize it. If you learn it, you know where to look it up. If you memorize it... well, I highly doubt that there are very many who can memorize 1000 pages.

5. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Back in the 70's, a TV station did a story about a man who had "memorized" the complete Bible, OT/NT and could quote "any" verse, word for word, the man was about 70 years of age at that time.

6. standingfirminChrist

we must not only learn the words, we must live the words.

we must not only memorize the words without them becoming meaningful to us.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, in that case just buy a very small print Bible and there will be a lot less pages than that to memorize.

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That would only work for small minds.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

10. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I have tried to memorize Bible verses by topic to use when I preach or teach. Great Goal!! But I'm showing my age and busyness and seem to struggle with the simple ones but it is amazing feeling when I can remember, quote and use a verse that is relative to the sermon and who knows maybe there is hope that a old young guy like me can keep working at it ;) How do you guys memorize by topic, by favorites, or by a memorization program? I'm just curious and willing to try anything to make it easier so I can memorize more and apply more.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I enjoyed the scene in the movie "The Client" from Grishams novel.

The famous prosecutor, played by Tommy Lee Jones, quoted the Bible in the court room and then said "So says the Psalmist"; whereupon the judge answered "no sir, that's from Proverbs..." and he gave the chapter and verse. Great scene.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I don't quote very often, as I don't want people who are listening to my sermons to simply take my word on it. I show it to them in their Bibles. (Also, if I am using a lot of passages, I will print out a verse list, so flipping back and forth does not become a distraction.)

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I will, however, quote when it's a verse that everyone is familiar with, such as Acts 16:30-31.

14. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Bill Gates got nothing out of his memorization because he has not been born again. 1 Cor. 2:11-14; 1 John 2:27.

But this practice is very profitable for Christians!

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." Ps. 119:11

"The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide." Ps. 37:31

"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts." Jer. 15:16

When Scripture is memorized you can better meditate on His Word. The Holy Spirit will also bring up verses to keep us sinning and convict us to do His will.

You can also pray the Scriptures and better claim their promises. And better contend for the faith when giving the Gospel to strangers.

You cannot memorize too much Scripture!

15. standingfirminChrist

Jack,

Our pastor used the first two verses you used tonight in our Wed. Evening Service.

Ya may want to correct yer last post.

16. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen!

[​IMG]

17. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]hahahaha that is a bit funny :D ...but I'm sure he meant to put a from in there...but there may be some that think the Holy Spirit causes us to sin just so he can convict us [​IMG] you never know what some people think...uh not here on the BB though...I meant them out in the world somewhere...uh...ah nevermind!! :confused:

18. sanderson1769

sanderson1769 New Member

Do you have any more information about the 70 year old man you say memorized the entire Bible? I am very curious because according to my research no one has ever accomplished that. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Pastor Steven L Anderson
    Faithful Word Baptist Church
    www.faithfulwordbaptist.org

19. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Thanks SFC.

Of course I meant that He brings up verses to keep us from sinning. [​IMG]

20. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

I tried memorizing topically. Tried the Navigator's system. Tried MacArthur's system. Tried my own system. Topically was hard.

I found it is easier for me to memorize straight through a book. That way I can follow the logical progression of the letter exactly as it was meant to be read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.