1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men From The Past Who Used Other Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 20, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Jn. 1:1 they do and that is not correct. The Greek text in Jn. 1:1does not leave Jesus in the past.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yet the only translation you claim is inaccurate is the KJV.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point was that if it was inspired then it missed the point of Jesus transcending from eternity to eternity.

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question; in the whole of John's gospel, does he write anything that changes the Word of God from past tense to an eternal tense?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The inspired version left nothing out.

6. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The inspired version?

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, tell us non-Greek readers how it should be properly translated into English.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is a very good question. It is one I have not found in a "literal"word for word translation. To accomplish an accurate translation it must be accompanied with additional words. The real question is how would one translate a word that represents an action as going on in past time and the action is continuing? Generally the past form of the verb "to be" and a participle are sufficient.

#28 gb93433, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

What a silly thing to say, like you know for a fact what Spurgeon would have done. Incredible.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spurgeon's words are in print. You can read them for yourself.

LECTURE 2
    On Commenting

"Do not needlessly amend our authorized version. It is faulty in many places, but still it is a grand work taking it for all in all, and it is unwise to be making every old lady distrust the only Bible she can get at, or what is more likely, mistrust you for falling out with her cherished treasure. Correct where correction must be for truth's sake, but never for the vainglorious display of your critical ability."

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some folks on this board are obsessed with versions.

12. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree if you stopped right there sir. :smilewinkgrin:

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I knew of these statements before by Spurgeon. I was just saying that Rippon cannot assume what Spurgeon would have done in the 1850's. A man's opinions sometimes change during the course of his life.

I could as easily argue that if Spurgeon had lived longer and became more aware of the criticisms against the newer versions he would have rejected them. After all, that is a possibility. But I am not saying that, just showing how the argument Rippon made is a form of false argument.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon did indeed advocate revising the KJV in the 1850's. This was long before the Revised Version was even contemplated by W&H.

Spurgeon approved of several RV translations. He freely acknowledged that they were better than the KJV renderings.

I think Spurgeon was more appreciative of lower criticism than you are.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not silly at all.Since he advocated a revision of the KJV in the 1850's he would have certainly used it then, as he actually did in the latter 1800's.

16. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

John 1:1

I believe John took care of leaving Christ in the past in John 1:1 by writing John 1:13, as all scripture is dependent on inspiration and order so should our understanding be.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, that is just what you say, your opinion. You cannot prove what Spurgeon would have done in the 1850s even if the RV existed then. People change over time, Spurgeon would have been much younger and may have held a different view of scripture at that time.

I am not saying you are wrong, perhaps Spurgeon would have preferred the RV if it had existed in the 1850s. What I am trying to show you is a fallacy in logic on your part. It is a false argument.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman, listen up.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Perhaps you cannot understand that no one can approve of a version that doesn't exist. Perhaps 50 years from now someone will revise the RV, and perhaps a preacher living now will approve of it, but that cannot possibly be known until the revision comes out and is examined.

Or maybe you believe Spurgeon had foreknowledge? Amazing, because most Calvinists will not even admit that God has foreknowledge.

Once again, Spurgeon could not possibly approve a revision that didn't exist until it actually existed and could be examined. If you can't understand this, I can't help you, it is a false argument on your part.

20. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Rippon is just in shock because someone actually had the nerve to question something he posted! :laugh: