1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men Marrying Late -- Or Not At All

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Ok. :thumbs:

I don't know that there is a reason, that can be explained, as much as it is just the way it is. I just simply do not wish to get married. Not trying to avoid answering your question, or anything like that, just being 100% honest.

==I think remaining single is more likely to "cramp my style" than getting married would be. I think all of my friends are married and, to a person, they wonder why I don't wish to be married.

==No, I am not defensive as much as I have heard all the questions before. I am more tired of answering the questions than you can only imagine. When I started this thread I was hoping for a discussion on Mohler's point and not why I have chosen to remain single.

Btw while singleness is out of the norm in our society it is not out of the norm Biblically. Jesus and Paul were both single. Contrary to Dan Brown there is no evidence that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and any suggestion that Paul was married before his conversion is, at best, speculation. We, in the church, should learn to accept that God has not made everyone the same way and we should start accepting other Christians without trying to make them like ourselves. Of course, just to clearify, we should never accept sinful behavior.

==Truthfully I am not the least bit concerned about my funeral. When that day comes I will be with the Lord and I seriously doubt I will be concerned about who does/does not show up or cry at my funeral. :smilewinkgrin:

==While I agree that most people should be married I want to stress that there are exceptions. There are those people who, for whatever reason, can remain single and happy their whole life. Maybe God has called them to a certain missionary ministry that requires them to be single, or maybe God has just "built" them in a way that they just simply don't want to be married; their relationship with the Lord is enough to give them fulfillment in life. In my case I am very much aware of the years of schooling ahead of me yet. If I want to do what I believe God has called me to do I must complete the schooling. Now that is not the main reason I am remaining single (see above) but it is something that must be taken into consideration. The fact is that over the next five or six years I will be distracted with school, study, and work. That will be my life. Now, just to be clear, even if that were not the case I would still not get married.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Bingo and Amen! :thumbsup: I agree 100%.

That maybe the first time I have ever used the term "bingo" in a serious discussion :laugh: .

==Yes, he does talk about the issue alot on his radio show. I do find it interesting that on "ask anything Wednesday" most of his calls are about Bible or Theology and not about social issues (marriage, etc). While I generally admire Dr Mohler I think he goes too far in this area. Sadly, however, his views are not in the minority. I have even heard Dr Mohler blame us Christian guys, who don't want to get married, for all the unmarried and unhappy Christian women out there. I certainly don't think that accusation is fair. The fact is the number of Christian guys that just simply don't wish to marry is very low. In fact I think I am the only one I know (if that makes sense). So it is my view that Mohler is creating a crisis and not addressing an existing crisis.

If a Christian, who is following the Lord, does not desire marriage it should not be forced, or guilted, on him/her. I can't help the fact that so many people have put all of their eggs in the marriage basket. They should learn to trust the Lord and then take those eggs out of that basket. Why? Because even if they do get married their spouse is not going to be able to meet the "dreamy" standards they have set. It is much better to focus on the Lord and what He has called you to do then on a desperate desire to get married. If the Lord wants you married, He will provide in His timing.

I am not trying to sound "super spiritual" here or anything. That is just my view and it is my normal response to those singles who are running around just trying to find someone to marry them.

==Agreed again.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

If the statistics quoted by Dr. Mohler are accurate then I would have to agree that this is a serious problem. That being said the article creates more questions than answers to me as I read it.

Martin, you state that you are a single, never married, never to be married college educated man with a masters degree. You do not fit the profile Dr. Mohler is describing at all. He specifically mentions high school drop outs, unemployed, and black men. While these three demographics represent where this change is the most pronounced he also mentioned that marriage rates are dropping among employed men who lack college degrees. If you feel you are called to be single then I don’t think Dr. Mohler is singling you out (ok, bad pun). I would only caution you about that “never to be married” part. Sometimes God has surprises for us later in life, never say never.

I think Chris is more representative of the group Mohler is talking about, men who want to be married but are not. RandR mentions men who don’t want to be married and guesses them to be less than one percent of the population, but that 1% is not who Mohler is writing about. Mohler’s statistics for men 40 to 44 is 18% and for 35 to 39 it is 22%. Those both represent substantial increases.

Churches do a poor job of dealing with singles. I have taught this group in the past and I think most churches goal for the singles ministry is to eliminate it through marriage.. Most married couples try to marry off singles because they are married and they like being married so they think they are promoting the happiness of their friends, but Martin is a great example of someone we should not be trying to marry off.

What Mohler is writing about is the fact that many men who want to be married are not and this is most pronounced in the least desireable categories. What I mean by that is that those men who lack education or are unemployed are hit the worst. Sorry guys I am not picking on you but when a woman looks for a husband those guys with more education and earning potential are generally considered more desireable. The question is why are these men unable to marry? I see several possible reasons:

• Women don’t need men anymore like they did 50 years ago. They can get their own careers and live their own lives, they are not dependent on some man to take care of them, so fewer women marry. Mohler quotes the statistic of never married women in their early 40’s as increasing from 5% in 1980 to 12.5% in 2004. Because fewer of them marry those that do can be pickier as well.
    • Lower morality. Like it or not for centuries men have gotten married so they could have sex with their wives. Now they don’t have to (get married that is). How many of those 40 year old singles are virgins? I am sure some are but not all. That of course leads us to:
    • Higher standards. Just like most of those men have slept around so have the women. I know a man now in his mid 30s who is a virgin. He wants to be married very bad but will only date or consider marrying a virgin. Do you know how many 35 year old virgins there are? He is having trouble finding one to say the least.
    • Lack of responsibility and commitment. Tied to the drop in morality and the feel good mentality of modern day is a lack of willingness to take on any responsibility. Getting married is a huge step of responsibility tying your life to someone else’s and vowing before God to care for them and take responsibility for them for the rest of your life. That scares a lot of people away from marriage.

Wow, this post is to long, thanks to anyone who actually read it.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a particularly interesting point to talk about. The main thing in the research was that these guys who don't have degrees or whatever aren't getting married like those with...and I agree that is true. (Whether or not it is a problem is another issue, I'd just say it's society get over it...as nicely as possible of course.) Our society has moved to a post-high school life development where college has become the established norm for young people. Nobody cares that you got a degree in advanced underwater basket weaving from Crazy Go Nuts University, just that you have a degree. Lot's of guys who don't have a degree can't get the "legitimitzation" for a degree brings, thus few women want to deal with that. There is an idea of security that a college degree brings.

We have, an estimate, about 10 to 15 guys who meet this criteria in our singles ministry. They've never really gotten a college degree and, likewise, have never really gotten established in life. Not knocking them, just saying that is where they are...they're great contributors to our ministry and I value each one.

It was a good post.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The average age of first time marriage has risen to 28 & 29.

Having listened to Mohler a time or two, I agree that God intended men and women to marry.

But, when a godly man wants to marry a godly woman, and the women do not want to get married until they hit the panic button of "oh if I don't get married within 6 months I won't be able to have kids" - what is a man to do? "Grab a woman off of the dance floor" and pray that she is not a psycho, or marry a secular woman that will date you over enough time that you can find out if she is normal first?

Either method is not right.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin

IMHO, brother if you really believe that being single is just more cramping to your lifestyle then have a wife would be - then you should remain single.

Having a wife that you have to take care of, is a much greater responsibility than most men are ready for, IMHO. But, marriage is a godly honor as well as a great burden. IMHO.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Is the word really "need" or "want"? Is this part of the solution or part of the problem? What is happening to the family institution?

Lower morality, does this sound familiar? How about before the flood or before God destroyed Sodom? So is this lower morality a good thing? What is the Church's obligation during these times of changing morality?

#27 LeBuick, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks preachinjesus, I like what you said about the 10 to 15 guys in your singles ministry

These may be fine Christians, but do you think they are making the same contribution to the cause of Christ that they would if they were more “established.” I think we need to remember that this modern teenager or youth phase to life has only really existed for the last 100 years or so. Before that men would start apprenticeships and careers at 12 or 13 years old. Girls would marry at the same age. The idea of taking 10 or 20 years of your life to bum around without goals so you can find yourself is relatively new. Of course we have longer lives now also.

LeBuick, I certainly did not mean to imply that lowering standards of morality is a good thing. The Church’s obligation is that same as it has always been to preach purity. But because of the lowering morality of the world we also need to be prepared for those Christians who have seduced by the temptations of the world. Jesus was able to accept harlots among his followers. We should be able to accept sinners into the house of God today. I am not saying excuse the sin and Jesus did not do that. But he was prepared to receive the sinner and we should be also.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You didn't imply that at all tentmaker, I was just adding to the debate and you raised some very intreging discussion. I completely agree, the Church should be the place where sinners can go and feel welcome. Jesus made that more than perfectly clear.

To add, I also agree with you Martin. The Church should be the place where a person can go and no they are welcome. The fact that the Church thinks the worst in folks before they even know them is a huge problem. I just don't know how we turn the Church into one with out spot or wrinkle and be that light on the hill to say to a dieing world Jesus loves us but wants us to live with Godly values.

#29 LeBuick, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That idea parallels Mormonism to a degree. It is one way to get more Southern Baptists children.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm confused. I've been married for about a year and a half now.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am too, not sure what I was thinking </scratches head>

13. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I've just read through this thread...and i've found the responses interesting. From what I have heard some hardcore and upfront SBC people say lately - I do think that the current view of marriage is emphasized because they want the denomination to grow....they want "full quiver" Baptist (never mind that the advocate has none). But that is just the impression I have gotten.

I am 27 and have been single all my life....and many churches I have been in had no idea what to do with me. I did not fit their "pattern". I have had people who barely said "hi" to me on sundays try to set me up with someone i did not know - and even they had only heard about! It was even suggested that the only reason I went to seminary was because i failed to get "hitched" in undergrad. Ugh!

Let me make my point clear - Marriage can be the wrong choice & singleness can be the wrong choice. But today we are not giving people a reason to marry. Most youth and college students in churches only want to get married so they can have "sanctified sex". Marriage needs to be modeled as more than it typically is. Most married couples I've seen in churches are not that different from married couples outside the church - and that ought not be so. (I have met some great Christian couples who were totally sold out to Christ not each other - and it was an honor to know them.)

Aside from that I think it's high time we hear pastors preach on 1 Corinthians 7. I have numerous stories about the responses from Christians when they find out that I am single and have always been single and, at this point, don't plan on changing it - - some treat me like I've sinned against the Holy Spirit. Honestly - the worst pressure for single people - whether or not they are single by choice - is the people sitting in the pews with them. Single people in the church need to be encouraged first and foremost in their relationship with Christ instead of only being concerned that they don't "fit in" because they don't have a spouse.

Neither marriage or singleness is a higher calling. But as one of my profs said a few years back - "the reason most people marry is that God knows that most of us can't hack it as singles." :tongue3: Being single is hard enough with all the pressure from the non-Believers - - why must the Believers make it even worse?

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Greek Geek

I mut have missed something in my studies. Would you set me straight and show me the Scripture that says marriage is a calling.

In Him,

Wayne

15. Brice

Brice New Member

I think he said it wasn't.

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My husband is 12 years older than me and waited for me to grow up so we could get married. NO, he didn't really wait for ME. He didn't know me, but he waited for the person God had for him to marry and that was me (ok, and I did have to grow up).

I'm so very grateful that my husband heeded God's will and waited until he was a bit older -- 34. (and that he waited for me :love2: )

17. greek geek

greek geek New Member

El_Guero - you missed something in your reading - I did not say marriage was a calling. I was stating what it is not and what singleness is not. I have been told many times that "marriage is a noble calling" or a "higher calling" and that is just flat wrong - but married christians throw it in the face of single christians all the time. In fairness I have also heard single people claim that singlness is a higher calling. Both have their place and both have pluses and minuses. (Definately an area where 1 cor 7 should be considered.)

18. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, then, congrats on being still married.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You set yourself up pretty good here but I won't bite :)

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Greek

Sorry about that. I really thought you were implying that marriage and singleness were callings.

I hear so many people call marriage a calling that I guess I thought that was what you were referring to.