1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men's Fraternity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Aug 9, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any men here on the BB go through this in their church? We are starting it next month (5:30 a.m. :eek:), and I'm really looking forward to it. If you have, what are your thoughts and experiences?

http://www.mensfraternity.com/

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Isn't this also know as the he man woman haters club?

:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry. I'll leave now.

:D

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Isn't this also know as the he man woman haters club? "

If it wasn't it probably is now! :thumbsup:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am already "all man", would make a great leader for you young squirts to follow......................:laugh: :laugh:

BBob,

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

If someone in my church tried to start this I'd fight it tooth and nail.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Reason being? Have you been through it, or is there another reason?

Since the elders are starting it, are you saying I should be usurping their authority to get it removed? I'm not following you here...

The following is from the site. What about this would make you "fight it tooth and nail"?

What is Men's Fraternity?

Men's Fraternity is a series of three one-year-long studies, beginning with The Quest for Authentic Manhood, followed by Authentic Manhood: Winning at Work and Home, and concluding with The Great Adventure series. More than just a rally or a Bible study, Men's Fraternity provides men with an encouraging process that teaches them how to live lives of authentic manhood as modeled by Jesus Christ and directed by the Word of God.
    Men's Fraternity was designed to help men come together and strengthen each other through weekly sessions that combine biblical teaching and small group interaction.
    These time-tested resources have been used all over the world to equip men to make their pursuit of noble manhood a lifelong priority. Church leaders and lay members are using the series to energize the men of their church and to connect with men in the community. Many men also use the series in their own personal pursuit of authentic manhood.
    THE ORIGIN
    Men's Fraternity was created by Robert Lewis, pastor-at-large of Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock, Arkansas and author of Raising a Modern Day Knight. It began in 1990 with 30 participants as Robert strived to connect with and challenge the men of his church. Over the years it has developed into a series of studies designed to engage the heart as well as the mind, stripping away the myths of manhood, and focusing on how each individual can be transformed into a true man of God. Now, more than 15,000 groups of men attend a weekly Men's Fraternity meeting globally.
    AN OVERVIEW of MEN'S FRATERNITY The following article, written by Robert Lewis, gives pastors and church leaders a clear understanding of Men's Fraternity, as well as practical ways to implement Men's Fraternity in your church or community.

Teaching Manhood to Men

This is a great document to print and distribute or forward via email to the men of your church to help them understand the why and the how of Men's Fraternity.
    THE GOAL

Imagine the transforming power of men coming together within your church and community to honestly examine their lives and take the courageous steps necessary to embrace authentic manhood on a journey to become who God intends them to be. That is the goal of Men's Fraternity.
    When men connect in life-changing ways, a powerful ripple effect touches families, workplaces, and the church. Deeper connections with God and other men inspire participants to connect more meaningfully in all facets of their lives. They climb beyond the walls of isolation and aspire to a biblical viewpoint marked by integrity, boldness, and compassion.
    Through this powerful series, men learn to reject passivity, accept responsibility, lead courageously, and expect God's greater reward.

THE FORMAT The format is simple: Men come together for weekly 45-minute teaching sessions (Groups can either view the teachings by Robert Lewis on DVD or a pastor or other leader can create live presentations based on the Men's Fraternity material.), followed by 30 minutes of small group interaction in an environment where men are free to talk openly and confidentially about what they heard and express mutual support for one another.
    THE TRUE POWER The true power of Men's Fraternity lies in bringing men together on common ground to learn together and listen to each other. Bonds of true God-centered friendships are formed as men encourage each other week- by-week to more fully embrace a godly view of manhood.
    THE CURRICULUM
    Men's Fraternity is a series of three, one-year curriculum options that build to help a man develop a compelling vision of masculinity that will bless both his life and the lives of those around him.

#6 webdog, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'd be interested to know too.

8. ReformedBaptist

Never been through it. Never heard of it till this thread. I am not telling you not to do it. Just my opinion. I would oppose this thing in my church because:

1. It appears to me to be man-centered (pardon the pun :laugh:). What I mean is that my initial, first impression is that it is about men and their "manhood" and not Christ-centered. It is a "The Quest for Authentic Manhood"

2. "Church leaders and lay members are using the series to energize the men of their church and to connect with men in the community. Many men also use the series in their own personal pursuit of authentic manhood." Where is Jesus?

3. "Imagine the transforming power of men coming together within your church and community to honestly examine their lives and take the courageous steps necessary to embrace authentic manhood on a journey to become who God intends them to be. That is the goal of Men's Fraternity.
    When men connect in life-changing ways, a powerful ripple effect touches families, workplaces, and the church. Deeper connections with God and other men inspire participants to connect more meaningfully in all facets of their lives. They climb beyond the walls of isolation and aspire to a biblical viewpoint marked by integrity, boldness, and compassion."

So...the Scriptures aren't enough? The weekly preaching of the Word of God, the adminstration of the ordinances, even small group meetings where one studies the Scirpture and learns the doctrines of GOD aren't enough? We need a Promise Keepers and a Men's Fraternity as well? huh?

4. Men's Fraternity is a series of three, one-year curriculum options that build to help a man develop a compelling vision of masculinity that will bless both his life and the lives of those around him.

My guess it will pass away as another fad running though the churches.

Now..let the accusations and criticism of me fly as it may. :laugh:

9. ReformedBaptist

oh, and teaching manhood to men is the role of fathers to their sons.

And those info-mercials...I was waiting for, "And all this is yours....for just $19.95."

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. From what I understand, it is Christ centered. I don't see where you get it is not from the site.

More than just a rally or a Bible study, Men's Fraternity provides men with an encouraging process that teaches them how to live lives of authentic manhood as modeled by Jesus Christ and directed by the Word of God.
    Men's Fraternity was designed to help men come together and strengthen each other through weekly sessions that combine biblical teaching and small group interaction.

2. It is becoming a true male, that is a Christian man. Can you answer the question "what is a man, and what does God intend a man to be"? This is the focus of MF.

3. Can you supply from Scripture where discipleship is limited to certain methods and areas? This is another discipleship opportunity. I can't understand why a fellow believer would have a problem with another discipleship avenue, but I've come across a lot on the BB I don't get. Everthing you mentioned is emplyed in MF. I don't see what your problem is with this format :confused:

4. I pray christian men never pass away from the church. The day that happens, we are in big trouble. I don't find it coincidental that when a husband / father comes to Christ first in the family, 80% of the time the rest follow. That's compared to 36% if a child comes to Christ first, and 50% if the wife / mother does.

I'm sorry you feel christian men need no further discipling :tear:

#10 webdog, Aug 11, 2008
  11. ReformedBaptist

I knew you could not avoid a comment like that. You like to twist people's words. But thanks for proving my poitn that accusations would fly.

I see nothing in that little movement that exalts Jesus Christ. It's man-centered, in my opinion, and will fizzle like all other man-centered movements. Hopefully forever.

Soli Deo Gloria.

12. ReformedBaptist

Whatever. Do you live under a rock? Jesus the model businesman..Jesus the model this..Jesus the model that...Every gimmick and trick the modern chruch can peddle for a buck. I am fed up with it.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And yet another "man centered" comment. From your posts here on the BB you act like you have arrived. Good for you. I haven't. Funny you don't actully discuss the issues...

I want to be the man God would have me to be. Since you see no need for that "little movement", I guess you can always continue trying to change churches statments of faith, or something :rolleyes:

Anybody who has BEEN through this program have any comments? I can't take seriously comments from people who haven't been through it, and only are seeking to condemn anything they don't do.

#13 webdog, Aug 11, 2008
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And you accuse me of accusations?

Clueless you truly are...

15. ReformedBaptist

Yeah..I'll stick with that fuddy duddy old Christian doctrine..you know.. the stuff that's in the Bible.

16. ReformedBaptist

Where is the accusation obe one?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As will I...

Next?

18. ReformedBaptist

Perhaps the manhood conference will do you good.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you questioning my manhood with this comment?

20. ReformedBaptist

Are you threatened if I am? lol Of course not.