1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men's Ministry Input on reaching men...

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Randy Highsmith, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Randy Highsmith

Randy Highsmith New Member

Hi All,

Boy, this forum has so much to choose from!

I am very active (volunteer) in the Men's Ministry field. I am seeking advise from this area on how to better reach men. I am a strong believer in small groups and want to developed one or several small groups in my church. We have Life Teams small groups now but are talking about gearing a Life Team to men. My question is how do I motivate men (who are already busy as it is) to attend these very important groups.

I am developing a men's ministry resource section at my Online Christian Bookstore (lower right corner). If you see anything I am missing there let me know so I can add it. Also any links that should be added let me know that too. Any hints or advise is appreciated.

God Bless you all,
    Randy Highsmith

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't the program that will move men, it is the Spirit. Have a good program, something that can benefit the man and the Spirit will move him if there is an openness.

If it isn't going to benefit in some way, why bother, the church is for training and edification.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start with the number of men God lets you have. In other words, don't think you're not ready to start anything because you think you need seven men and God has only lead five your way. Remember, it's not you that motivates it's God the Holy Spirit.

4. Randy Highsmith

Squire and exscentric;

I certainly have learned my lessons when it comes to trying to "do for God" instead of letting the Spirit move. I started a Man in the Mirror video study in the early morning hours for men who had to be at work by 8:00 that failed. Only one man showed up, then his work schedule changed and then it was just me. I know it is not about "numbers". Sometimes God is telling us not right now when we fail.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Randy

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know when your men work, but I know of several churches that have found a Saturday morning prayer breakfast works fairly good.

One church I interiumed in had some farmers, some businessmen and some retired. They gathered at 630 so their day wasn't hindered much. They had cold cereal and once in awhile donuts with coffee and juice.

They had a short devotional and prayed the rest of the time.

Others have bigger breakfast and a longer teaching time.

6. Randy Highsmith

Thanks for the thought on the Saturday morning idea. I will float that to the men in my sunday school class to see if that is how the Holy Spririt wants to move. We have had a couple quaterly breakfast with a guest which normally draws about 25 or so.

I had the weekly meetings setup from 6:30 to 7:30 on Tuesday mornings with coffee and donuts.

Please keep this effort in your prayers.

Thanks!