1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mental illness and the Baptist Chuch

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/mental-health-causes-mental-illness

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am watching that video and all I can say is thank you. :thumbs:

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't mean that the diagnosis is false.

You are taking a lack of "physical proof" and medical folks rely far more than on the "test tube" for a diagnosis.

Much of the emotional/mental disorders are observational phenomena that maybe in a 100 years we might cure with "penicillin."

Until the 1928's, much quackery of electrical, mercurial, blistering... were done in the name of good medicine and then Fleming discovered penicillin. The list goes on with the discovery of x-ray, MRI using electromagnetic fields which Edison experimented, and on it continues.

Your own bias is as unsound as the those who placed hot cups on Thomas Jackson in hope of sucking out the bad blood. Foolish in our eyes using today's standards, yet all they could do in their eyes - try as they may.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

20 million children are labeled with "mental disorders" that are based solely on a checklist of behaviors. There are no brain scans, x-rays, genetic or blood tests that can prove they are mentally ill, yet these children are prescribed dangerous and life-threatening psychiatric drugs. Child drugging is a $4.8 billion-a-year industry.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and there is no definitive test for that. I never took a test to say "yes, I have it" because there is none. Instead, the doctors looked at the symptoms and said "This is what you have". So I am on a medication that they accidentally found works for women with PCOS and you know what? It stops the symptoms. So while there was no definitive test for it - and there is no approved medication for it, I have it and take medicine that stops the symptoms. Does that mean my doctor should have his license taken away because he's prescribing medicine for a disorder that has no definitive test?

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You're a sinner for taking that medicine. Your symptoms are your cross to bear as a sinful human.

Danged if you do...

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, and with less evidence the witches were burned at the stake in Salem. (sarcasm)

Are you arguing about the money, and what "life-threatening" psychiatric drugs?

Could you list them?

Perhaps they can actually be checked out for "life threatening?"

Of course have you read the warnings on tooth paste and aspirin?

Of course, if you would have admitted that you are a supporter of the CCHR then your discourse could have been more balanced.

I am all for a fully informed public, but I am not in favor of your bias and claims that you have posted.

For the folk's information, the CCHR has drawn attention to critical needs on an international level to the abuses and excesses that some take. Unlike the USA, some countries do not extend patient rights nor safety to the same level that the US has grown, especially since the 1970's.

But, there is no rational not to extend medical psychiatric help even if based upon observation anymore than it is not rational for a person to not wear corrective lenses merely because the diagnosis is solely observational.

Those who were glasses know the drill... Which is more clear *flip* of *flip* ...

8. Steadfast Fred

Being well learned in the medical field, I can tell you right now that you are wrong to say there are no definitive tests for polycystic ovarian syndrome.

My medical books reveal the following tests that are done to establish the diagnosis:

Specific Tests: BHCG, Abdominal Ultrasound

Other Specific Tests include a biopsy of the ovary, estrogen levels, fasting glucose levels, insulin levels, LH levels, laparoscopy, male hormone levels, urin 17 -ketosteroids, prolactin levels, thyroid function tests.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Interestingly enough, taking this medicine makes me able to be fruitful and multiply. It's a diabetic medication (metformin)!! Had major infertility before I started taking it and now? Let's just say their names are Robby and Joanna. :saint:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet each one of these could be negative and you can still have PCOS. The ONLY thing that definitively said anything in my case was cysts on the ovaries - and the other symptoms. All of my hormone levels are completely normal. Interesting, huh?

And yes, there are definitive tests for mental illness as well. Some might not be biological tests but many biological tests will show abnormalities that would confirm an issue. The girl that lived with us had an abnormal brain MRI and there was no question she had a mental illness. She's getting better now - 18 years later but it's not easy for her. She's found a good combination of medication so that she no longer hears voices in her head telling her to cut herself and she has held down a job for 6 years!

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I too come from a family with a lot of branches but only a few roots. If the genes are bad in the beginning, multiple copies of the gene handed down increases the chances that the "bad" genes will surface causing all sorts of problems. Even 2 generations (maybe 3) from the last known cousin marriage mental illnesses of various types show up in almost half of my own 55+ cousins.

Let me clarify that I didn't marry my cousin, my parents didn't marry cousins and we don't believe (but aren't exactly certain) that my mother's parents weren't cousins. Before that? Well, so so very many roots. My children and the children of my cousins don't have nearly the incidence of mental illness as my mother's generation. About 2/3 of my mother's siblings suffered throughout the years from one form of mental illness or another. Generations before that were called "onery", "eccentric" and various other euphmisms for, "they aren't quite right".

Funnily enough, a few years ago I met the gggranddaughter of my ggrandfather's brother (got that?). not only do "eccentricities" abound throughout her line (her grandparents were cousins) but when you set our children side by side there are unmistakable similarities in appearance (her #6 and my #2 could have been brother and sister) and in personalities and her personality is very similar to that of some of my aunts. The genes will tell the tale sometimes.

Here is an article that explains this better than I:

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/aug/featkiss

12. Steadfast Fred

Voices in the head telling her to kill herself????

You do know that satan comes to steal, kill and destroy, do you not?

Sounds like someone was given mind-altering drugs to calm demonic activity to me.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because mind altering drugs affect demons?

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Warning, a stake burner in the midst.

Are you an exerciser, too or is that an exorcism extortioner.

:flower:

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well Steadfast, why don't you get yourself down to the local mental hospital and start casting out demons. You are a Christian right? Didn't God give us the ability to cast out demons? Go help these poor forsaken possessed folk. But until you do, until you find some specific spiritual critria for identifying a person possessed of a demon, don't criticize those of us who chose the route of medication, 'K?

#95 menageriekeeper, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - CUT herself. Different words.

17. Steadfast Fred

Mind altering drugs alter the mind so that the person does not have the capability to think for himself or herself.

Take away those drugs and the demons will become active once again.

18. Steadfast Fred

give the demons an inch, they take a yard. Let alone, it wouldn't be long before the cuts got deeper and the damage worse and finally... death.

The demons are not being controlled by the drugs, the mind is. But the demons are still there.

You cannot correct a spiritual problem with drugs.

The weapons of our warfare are not carnal.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Psychiatric drugs have no affect on demons. Unless you are saying that mind altering drugs that make people well mean that "demons" are actually in their own mind. Then I will disagree with you again because I've seen demonic activity and it is not just in the person's mind.

This young woman did not have demons. We tried to cast out the demons and have done so in the past but there was no demonic activity in this woman.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Demons are not affected by drugs. Again, you are speaking out of ignorance, not experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.