1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Merchandising the gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Dec 19, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 2:17
    “For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.”​

Where is that demarcation between one being supported, and properly, and one that merchandises the gospel out of desire for personal profitability?

For example:

A very popular author and preacher receives millions from publications and has become very wealthy. Did he merchandise the gospel?

A very popular author and preacher receives millions from publications, but puts every penny back into the ministry. He lives on the offerings given as he travels from one speaking engagement to another. Did he merchandise the gospel?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends. The workman is worthy of his hire, but prudence should dictate when enough is enough when it comes to money. We need to use caution when judging motives.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, but when does “worthy of his hire” become a determination that “enough is enough?”

The statement by Paul seems to establish that level of enough is set by anyone being able to judge the ministry as a way to get money.

Is “double honor” financial or is it esteem?

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who makes the determination that enough is enough? Who is able to judge the motives of the author? Do we know what the author does with the money earned from book sales? If the hypothetical provided for information about the author the question could be answered in more detail.

The reason I am being cautious is the crossover potential to Christian in other lines of work. Does this apply to all Christians? Christians in ministry? I know that is not the scope of your question, but things like this get used for sorts of extended reasons. This should actually be a discussion had between a pastor and fellow elders. What is expected of his ministry or the larger ministry of the church? Does a local church (like Grace Community Church where John MacArthur ministers) want a pastor with a ministry that extends far beyond its local community? Sometimes questions beget questions.

Blessings.

5. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the end of the day, the gospel is preached (Assuming he is preaching the true gospel). The rest is up to him and God.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pretty much agree, I have a bit of difficulty over the copyright issues.

I know they are necessary, however it would seem if an author was concerned with getting the truth into the minds and hearts, the costs would be shipping and printing.

That anyone could use the material irregardless of credit to the provider.

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These guys seem to have a good stance. I hear they plan on actually printing an edition in 2018. If they do, I would buy one to show my support.

"You can give away the Lexham English Bible, but you can't sell it on its own."

More here: License for the Lexham English Bible

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NET has a similar provision. You may give it away (with copyright acknowledgement) but can't sell it.

"You may copy the NET Bible® and print it for others as long as you give it away, do not charge for it and comply with our guidelines for content control including current valid copyright and organizational acknowledgments. In this case, free means free. It cannot be bundled with anything sold, used as a gift to solicit donations, nor can you charge for shipping, handling, or anything. It is provided for personal study or for use in preparation of sermons, Sunday school classes, undergraduate or seminary religion classes or other noncommercial study. This release is also available to organizations like the Gideons, who may distribute millions of copies of the NET Bible® text without royalty. This release does not apply to media other than paper."

The WEB is in the public domain.

I disagree that credit to the provider should be optional. If you don't provide credit, how is anyone to know that translation it is or if you just made it up?

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can print a Bible or have it printed for free. While the Gideons place Bibles in many motel rooms, dr's offices, etc. they still hafta pay to have those Bibles printed.

Part of the KJVO codwallop is to holler about $$ made from selling newer Bible versions, but last time I looked in wal-Mart or my local Bible store, their KJV copies bore roughly the same price as their ESV copies.

Printers don't work free, nor do distributors, truck drivers, salespeople, or Bible translators. While the KJV is public domain in the USA, it still takes $$$ to print & distribute KJVs!

Now, as for peddling the Gospel, the Greek word here, rendered 'corrupting' in the KJV, refers to huckstering or selling something for nefarious purposes. I believe peddling the Gospel in 2 Cor. 2:17 refers to selling copies of it for the purpose of mis-using it or simply to make money without regard as to what becomes of it after it's sold "Back in the day", it was sold to provide material to use in witchcraft or occult practices. I believe that's what Paul was referring to.