1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Message Series

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Series and books arent boring, just the preaching.

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

My father-in-law used to joke about believing the Bible cover-to-cover, including the maps and the covers too!

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

If you actually knew the story of Criswell, you would know he was way ahead of his time regarding methods and was criticized for using modern methods. Why do you think Warren refers to Criswell as a mentor figure in his life?

Your one-note instrument never fails to show its lack of consistency.

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I've read Criswell's autobiography. I also have several of his commentaries.

I suppose writing commentaries is passe for RW.
    He is to busy leading that 2nd reformation he is always talkin about.

Funny I must not have the only "one note" instrument because all you ever do is run down people that don't agree with your methodology.

You try to come off like your above the chatter of the BB yet you chime in with your own bias just like everybodyelse. You've made the arrogant statments in the past that you only check in here from time to time for mere entertainment. You mean you don't get enough of entertainment with that big "show" you have to "produce" every Sunday.
    BTW, don't complain about how hard all that is . I mean most of you boys don't even have to preach but once a week.

Personally I believe the guys at Fuller had a bigger impact on RW than Criswell probably ever did at least his methods and philosophy of ministry seem to bear that out.

I personally believe you seeker friendly guys are one day, ever so softly and suttle are gonna wake up and find that your methodology has overtaken your theology. It is called the slippery slope of liberalism.

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

shannonL, do you believe folks that use PowerPoint and other visual aids in worship are "seeker friendly," as you put it? I suppose you meant to say "seeker driven."

BTW, as far as the term goes, "seeker friendly" - I hope we all are.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading thru church history, I find that we have always reacted against any new methodology. When the organ was introduced, it was viewed as blowing wind.
    When the song leader was introduced he was just a cheerleader.
    Using flannelgraph was a new fangled method.
    But old time liberal theology didn't need any new methodology to go liberal.
    In fact, it was the conservatives who started using new methods. It was people like Criswell who started using age graded SS classes and dividing them into small groups.
    We used the new method of a nursery so people could hear the message without being distracted by crying or cooing babies.
    I can remember Dr. Hyles condemning the internet... and now HAC and FBC, Hammond have web sites.
    Methodology doesn't change theology.

7. mnw

mnw New Member

Maybe objecting to the organ was not such a bad thing... [​IMG]

Whitfield went against convention with his preaching in the fields.

We do need to be careful about change, but sometimes it needs to be embraced.

I would not use PowerPoint in every message because I believe the power of preaching is through the Holy Spirit using the man of God. Preaching is like foolishness to the world but it is God's method.

However, there are times when PowerPoint would be a good tool and aid. As long as such things never rise above the content of the sermon, and as long as they are not used for everything, I think they are okay.

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Pulpit,

Nothing wrong with visual aids etc.....
    except when church service is turned into a variety show instead of a time to worship. If you have ever been involved in one you'll know it.

Demonstrating the love of Christ to lost folk versus going into the community and doing a survey to find out what people would like to have done in church in order that they might be willing to attend is somethingelse.

Look my thoughts are merely opinions I have which have developed out of my own personal convictions. I simply think the American church is shallow for the most part and the church growth gurus aren't helping to deepen it at all.

You do as God leads you to do in your local church. You and you alone will be responsible for the flock God has called you to lead. Ultimately that is who each of us pastors answer to. At least His is the only opinion that counts.

Obviously there are going to be different styles of ministry out there. I just don't think every style is biblical. Today it seems pragmatism is the guiding principle in ministry more so than the Bible.

9. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Regardless of methodology, this statement is most certainly true in many cases.

10. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

And there is definitely something we can agree on.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Our senior pastor tends to be book-focused on series...most of the time.

The series that generate the most requests for CD's? His "ten commandments" series.

We have two (soon to be three) AM services, but they are different styles musically. However, his sermon is largely the same in both.

On Wednesday evening, about 80% of my messages are series-based. In between series, I'll do stand-alone stuff, or we'll go "out of the box" with our message from the Word of God. (A few weeks ago, one of my kids did a dramatic monologue as the woman at the well. She was great!)

My next series: "What's the big deal?" It's based on the "you've heard...but I say" stuff that Jesus did from the Sermon on the Mount (4 weeks). After that...we'll go to Judges for a while (probably 4 weeks).