1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Messianic Bibles

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I note that there seem to be a few Messianic versions of the Bible, using names like Yahweh and Yashua. Does anyone know which of these would be considered to be the best of the those types of Translations? Does Nelson publish one of those?

While we are on the topic, I understand obvioulsly the term Yahweh and Yashua, what is the term used to describe the Holy Spirit in this manner?

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Ben...

You might try the Hebrew Names Version of the World English Bible. I don't know if there is a printed copy of this version available, but you can find it online at ebible.org. And to answer your other question, in Matthew 28:19 the HNV uses the term Holy Spirit.

I am sure there are other versions available, and most likely some of them are in print. If you don't find that the online HNV suites your needs, let me know and I will e-mail a guy I know from another forum who belongs to a Messianic congregation. I am sure he could probably shed more light on the subject.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember Zola Leavitt mentioning a "Messianic" Bible several years ago, but I don't remember the name of it nor its language. His site may contain some info.

4. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Check out this article by Dr. Thomas M. Strouse>>>
    Who is this Deity named Yahweh?

The proper pronunciation of God's name, JEHOVAH, has not been lost. God promised to preserve every jot and tittle.

His name shall endure for ever.

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Psalm, but the Hebrews know more about their own language than anyone else, and if they say God's proper name is Yahweh, then that's good enough for me.

"God" is Yahweh's TITLE, but it's held in such high respect by so many Christians when referring to Yahweh, including myself, that I hold "God" in the same reverence as I do the name Yahweh or the Latinized pronunciation,Jehovah. Same with "Jesus", the Latinized form of "Yeshua", His real name in Hebrew. Same for "Christ", from the Greek "Christos", Messiah, since there is only ONE true Christ, Yeshua of Nazareth.

A little aside..."Jesus"(Hay-soos)is a very common name among Hispanics. Does this show disrespect? Newp! It's a reflection of the cultures of some Hispanic communities, and is a show of HONOR to name a baby after Jesus. After all, there were/are many, MANY Jews named Yeshua, which was/is often rendered Joshua or Jesus in several other languages.

I believe Yeshua was such a common Hebrew name that it was chosen for God's Son to show His affinity with man, and to not make Him stand out from ordinary men because of some unique name.

6. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Rejecting the preserved Masoretic Hebrew Text is the beginning of apostasy. The Lord Jesus Christ said the scripture cannot be broken.

The text which has been preserved is the authority, not a group of contemporary apostate scholars.

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

God knows more about His own name than anyone else, and if He says His name is JEHOVAH, then that's good enough for me.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 6:3 reads "YHWH" NOT "Jehovah." The consonants come from "YHWY" and the vowel points come from "adonai." (YaHoWaH) "Jehovah" is the English translation of a made up word originated by superstitious Jews who were afraid to pronounce the Name. Kind of a stupid superstition in light of "whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

8. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

I believe God preserved the consonants as well as the vowel points in the Hebrew Masoretic Text. The proper pronunciation, JEHOVAH, has never been lost.

The Lord Jesus Christ was convinced that the Hebrew Text available in the early first century A.D. was perfect.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

If any of the words, letters, or proper pronunciation of Scripture was lost, when was it lost? Was it lost within the past 2000 years then recovered later by a bunch of apostates that deny the preservation of Scripture? I don't think so.

Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

9. Pete

Pete New Member

I don't know about the best mate, but you can get the "Hebrew Names Version (HNV) of the World English Bible (WEB)" to go in E-Sword. The "About" says "HNV...uses more traditional Hebrew names and terminology instead of the Greek or English termonology." Strangely though it still uses "LORD" & "Holy Spirit" etc..

Checked a couple of sources, Holy Spirit = Ruach HaKodesh

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Just surfed across this one Ben: LINK

11. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Jehovah and Yahweh are two English renderings of the same four consants in Hebrew, the tetragram, YHWH, but in German the "Y" sound is made with a "J" and the "W" sound with a "V" thus the fallacy was born that Jehovah actually is pronounced with a "J" as in Jesus, and Yahweh as ending like "way". Hebrew has no "J" sound you silly little smurfs! If anything, it should be, Yehovah, or Yahveh, but I stick to the Hebrew tradition of saying "Adonai" whenever I read the tetragram, and I suggest others reading the Hebrew text do the same. And in English the best translation in my opinion is the traditional one, i.e., THE LORD.

Cheers, Bluefalcon

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be wise to not put too much credence in what Tom Strouse writes. He has been considerably less than truthful with some of his "facts."

It has been estimated that there are more than fifteen hundred variants in the Hebrew Old Testament text which are reflected in the Kethiv/Qere pairs. These Kethiv/Qere pairs originated due to variants which arose because the early texts had consonants only. The Sopherim and the Masoretes used signs called "vowel points" to indicate what vowels should be added to complete the words. Several systems arose and differences of opinion finally produced the Kethiv/Qere pairs in the Hebrew text.

In short, the vowel points were added later, by men, many of whom differed greatly in their opinions of what the vowels should be. The vowels in the present Hebrew text are diacritical marks placed in the Hebrew text by the very textual critics you love to hate.

You can't have it both ways. If the diacritical marks of the textual critics are "inspired" and "preserved" so are the critical works of Westcott and Hort. [​IMG]

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Rejecting the preserved Masoretic Hebrew Text is the beginning of apostasy. The Lord Jesus Christ said the scripture cannot be broken.

The text which has been preserved is the authority, not a group of contemporary apostate scholars.

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

God knows more about His own name than anyone else, and if He says His name is JEHOVAH, then that's good enough for me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hmmm...

Apparently, the Englishized name "Iehouah" didn't appear until the 16th century when that word appeared in the 1568 Bishops' Bible. Even the 1611 KJV used the word "IEHOVAH." The word "Jehovah" in its modern spelling did not appear until a later revision of the KJV. The claim that "Jehovah" is the only correct version of the name sounds to me to be either a Jehovah's Witness or a KJVO argument which is not supported by Scripture itself. ;)