1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Messianic Movement

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by DinkyDoo, Sep 21, 2003.

1. DinkyDoo

DinkyDoo New Member

My best friend is in a Messianic church.
    I am intrested in this movement. Altought her church is not doctinally sound, and also run by a rabbi who is a woman, the idea of having a burden to lead Jews to Jesus is a good one.
    Does anyone have any options about this movement?
    What is the good and the bad about it.
    L.L. [​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim New Member

If it was only about leading Jews to Christ--it would be a wonderful thing. But too many elements within the group are focused on Judaizing Christianity, and adherence to the O.T. Law.

In Christ,

Tim

3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

4. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Intresting side note to this. Did you know that Messianic's were orginally Greeks?

5. Flippo

Flippo Member

Like any other movement you have to compare their
    Beliefs with the Bible. For instance, there is a messianic movement that teaches that Paul was a heretic and that you shouldn't read or study any of the Pauline Epistles (especially Galations).

Phil

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Lacy:

We have a synagogue here in Richmond that is absolutely FANTASTIC. Here is a link to their web page. They have two shows on public-access cable, and I really enjoy the Rabbi's preaching.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The messianic churches must vary a lot according to what I read. A man that went to the seminary I did pastored one. I found it to be excellent. Many of the Christians were first generation Christians who came out of Judaism. I found them to be good students of the Bible.

8. Tim

Tim New Member

But if Messianic Christians are trying to follow the O.T. Law and telling others (often gentiles) they should do so, then they are not good students of the scripture.

That's been much of my experience with them.

In Christ,

Tim

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The only time I saw when something that adhered to the OT was regarding kosher food. Some of those who are born again still believe that one should not eat pork for the same reasons as then. Some of you may remember the things associated with eating pork. But the practice I saw was to not be offense to someone.

10. Emory

Emory Guest

Hello,

My experience has been that the messianics believe that Jesus did not abolish the Law of Moses. They observe the feasts, Sabbath, etc.

I'd stay away from this movement. We are not under the law, but under grace.

Judaizers disguised as Christians.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I agree.
    I'm sure there are good congregations of Christains who are Jews and I praise God for them. However many of the principles of the HRM are unbiblical and even anti-biblical. Many HRM groups are VERY charismatic, in fact the HRM is seen as a "fourth wave" of pentecostalism by many charismatics. Most teach to some degree or another that NOBODY can really understand or interpret the Bible without a thorough knowlege of certain Jewish (non-Christian) writings. They rationalize that the only way to interpret scripture is to go back to the culture it was written in. This sounds reasonable but they are not talking about the Old Testament. See the article I posted above called "Midrash, the Camel's Nose" Extreme groups believe that meeting on Sunday is satanic sun worship. Many loathe the "western gentile church", and say so openly. They often bind themselves to Old Testament law exactly in the same way Paul warned against in Galations. Just be careful.

Lacy

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am Jewish by background and have been involved with various Messianic groups over the past 30 years.

A few are looney-tunes. A couple look down on "goyim" church with a "too-bad-you-don't-worship-like-us" attitude. One was rabidly pentecostal - like speaking in the HEBREW tongue is not enough, you have to have gibberish tongues, too!

Most are just more Jewish is worship and style than typical ifb churches. And folks from that background enjoy that type of environment. Just like Black Baptist churches are radically different in "style" than white or mixed ethnic churches.

I've taught my family about the feasts and symbolism and such of our roots. Like Irish celebrating St Patrick's day with green beer.

Happy to answer questions about some of the nitty-gritty of the Messianic movement from my experience.

Baruch haba b'shem.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Messianic movement is made up of many different Messianic Denominations and churches. To make a negative sweeping statement about the Messianic Movement is exactly the same as somebody who sees a church labelled Baptist that has a Homosexual Minister and reacting by saying that the Baptists are a group to keep away from.

The saddest part is that many Christians have no idea at all how to witness Jesus Christ to a Jewish person using only the Old Testament as the proof text.

Want to find out? Moriel Ministries is a good start.

http://www.moriel.org/

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why would we want to? We have the NT. It is impossible to witness to Christ apart from the NT. The OT simply does not have enough information about the historical Jesus being the Messiah. You must have the NT for that.

The problem I see with the Messianic movement (apart from the return to Jewish Law which I totally reject) is this idea that some how Jews must be handled differently than others. Jews should be won and brought into our NT baptist churches. We do not need separate assemblies for them. There is no longer Jew or Greek but Christ is all and in all. This just seems to divide the church and it is not necessary. If the gospel preached in Baptist churches cannot save the Jew like everyone else, then they need to start preaching the NT gospel.

15. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Most traditional Jews venerate the Talmud and oral law far, far above the plain words of scripture. In my experience it doesn't really matter how clearly a prophecy points to Jesus Christ if the Talmud or even later respected commentators (e.g. Rashi) give a different interpretation.

2Cor 3
    13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

16. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

So you are saying basically that they are Baptists. ;)

Lacy

17. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Why would we want to? We have the NT. It is impossible to witness to Christ apart from the NT. The OT simply does not have enough information about the historical Jesus being the Messiah. You must have the NT for that.

</font>[/QUOTE]I agree with your point that maybe we shouldn't want to but I dissagree with your assumption that the OT doesn't have enough info. The disciples used it quite well and Jesus Himself on the road to Emmaus opened the meaning of the scriptures to the travelers. Don't you agree?

Murph

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, I don't agree. The message of the NT was walking alongside of those two men on the road to Emmaus. My point is that without the NT we cannot show that the OT has been fulfilled. The Jews believe the OT. They are still looking for the Messiah. You must use the NT to show them that Jesus was the Messiah.

19. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

No you dont have to, the Apostles and those who God called to be witnesses in the Early church used only the Old Testament, and thousands of Jews came to the Lord, as they still do today.

To many Jews, the New Testament is a religious book from anther religion, just like the koran or the book of mormon. Yet as happened in the New Testament all Christians are able to share Jesus with them from there own Holy Scriptures in a way that causes them to see that yes Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

20. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Meet folks where they are. Buy a Koran at a used book store and mark the parts that lead them to the Christian Bible, I have a book of Mormon marked up like I study it (I don't) But I can use it to witness to a Mormon. I even read somewhere once that a fellow started his sermon with an example concerning an "unknown God" then he went on to lead many to Christ.

But don't leave them with an "unknown" God, another Jesus, a mere "prophet", or an overlooked Messiah. By the way, I fear that many of us (myself included) spend too much time here on the BB rather than out witnessing. It's easy to talk "witnessing theory".

Sorry I got off the subject. Lacy