1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Messing around

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts about what we say of the other services - in jest - that is.

For example- (true story) When I ( Army) was in Germany, I sent a letter to my brother ( USMC) who was stationed in the Pacific.
    On the back of the envelope, I wrote - "The Marines are looking for a few good men. The Army wants all of its men good!"

What are your thoughts about civilians messing with Military GI's / Vets?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's like anything else if it's a close friend you can kid around about almost anything, but let an outsider do it and....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But here on BB, we are all close friends - right???? :Whistling

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its okay for another vet to rib me... We can poke fun at others who have worn the uniform... That being said if you haven't walked the walk or talk the talk and unless its respectful, don't talk about us who have walked the walk... Or as one of my USMC buddies would say, go take a loooooooooong walk off a short pier... Brother Glen:D

#5 tyndale1946, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may kid around about the services--but my last 5 years in, I worked more for the Army and the Navy than I did the Air Force, and they took better care of me. And let's not forget the line attributed to Gen MacArthur: there's no safer place than behind a Marine.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then y'all better get behind me... USMC Charlie Company 3rd Tanks... This could get UGLY!... Brother Glen:Biggrin

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right - a Marine would take a long walk on a Short pier -
    but a Soldier would take evasive action ( ie "Rear March"!)

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And an Air Force guy would approve Lockheed Martin to study the most efficient way to walk off the pier, then play golf and stay in a hotel while Lockheed asks for contract continuances and incurs cost over-runs....

<grin>

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a sailor would say.......

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a fondness for the U.S. Army, because they are the only ones that did not try to kill me in Vietnam.

We were bombed by the Air Force and took 2 wounded. An AO on station near Laos saw us mapping a jungle road. He was supposed to know we were there, but he had jets on station running low on fuel , so he saw us as a target of opportunity and sent them after us. First comes the snake and then the nape. We got 'em stopped before the nape, but not soon enough to avoid wounded.

The Navy and their trigger happy PBRs fired their 50 cals on us while we were running night ambushes to stop sappers from mining the Cua Viet river. They spotted us through their starlight scope on our way to the ambush site and blazed away. They were also supposed to know we were there. No injuries this time.

Of course, it goes without saying that the Marines were sending us places all the time that might, and did, get us killed.

The Army, if my memory is correct, never tried to kill me. Maybe I should have been a soldier. Just kidding.;)

BTW If the Marines didn't need transportation, we wouldn't need a navy.:Biggrin