1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Met with the deacons and became a member

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 27, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a successful meeting this morning of which they gave me their vote to be a member. Next it will be the congregational vote as this church holds to that form of government like most Baptist Churches, despite the few that hold to the Presbyterian form of government and call themselves baptists.

I tried to be humble and not get into a debate on CAL vs. Armin, nor Bible Translations. However I did say that once a long time ago (2007) I tried to be a member of a IFB church that said I would need to be re-baptized since I was not Baptized in a KJVO fellowship, and they also required members not to attend movies. I said I was happy they did not have such a legalistic requirement, and I believed that church to be landMark Baptist but I could have been mistaken, but no doubt some sort of Jack Hyles clone. I did however agree that for all teaching and such opportunities I would abide by their preference of the King James Version. I just tried to be humble and honest and it went well.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow! Be re-baptized because you weren't baptized in a KJV-only fellowship? Smh. Well, glad that you found a church home.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

The congregation has to vote to accept you??? On what biblical basis could they possible claim to have that as a requirement?? Run, do not walk, to the exit. These are legalists and extra-biblicists.
    Please ask yourself why in the world you would want to be a member of this church. Pray about it. Then don't go back.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple ....his wife is a member there.:laugh:

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve been to many churches who take a vote from the congregation for membership. Actually, the one I attend now is the only that I have not seen this happen (when we got a new pastor he changed that practice). I do not think that this is something that has a biblical mandate, but it is also something that is not forbidden (to my knowledge). As to its purpose, it was explained once to me that the purpose of the “vote” was to have the congregation engaged in the membership process (of the local church, not the Church). While I have never seen a vote to the negative, I suppose there may be issues that could warrant addressing concerning a new member. But, this should be in the church’s bylaws and if it is an issue, then by all means choose another church (don’t join a local congregation with the desire to change them).

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

Oh.

The explains a lot.

That explains a whole lot! :laugh:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not? They cant learn from a younger man?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and why is your font so small....having trouble seeing it.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key word PREFFERENCE!

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Because you don't have your granny glasses on ... ?? :laugh:

Seriously, I've had that problem before. Sometimes the resolution on your browser just mysteriously decides all by itself to reset. I'm still using Calibri size 3. :thumbsup:

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a thread on debating church government. For that refer to a good systematic theology or book, but personally its a very secondary issue.

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Southern Baptist church my membership is currently held, also required a congregational vote.

I had been attending for quite a few months, and I had spent some time with the pastor. the monthly business meeting is when the vote took place. I had no conditional acceptance before this congregational vote, only the hand of fellowship from the pastor.

They typically would receive someone based on a transfer of SBC membership, or a letter of approval from a different congregation.

Considering I had no prior affiliation with the SBC, I was simply received on my statement of faith.

Ummm, HUH ?!?

It may simply be a matter of God wanting him to be there. Maybe to grow in a somewhat unconventional manner.

I remember when I moved from K.C.'s Northland area, where I had been with a Bible Church for several years, to Eastern Jackson County (40 minutes east). After a while of not finding a solid church to attend, God directed me to an Assembly of God.

I disagreed with an awful lot of their teachings, not to mention the Charismatic excesses.

I prayed about it - a lot. And every time I prayed, it was the same answer. Finally, I spoke pretty boldly to God about it, saying "What possible good could come from something like that? I can't believe you would send me to some place I totally disagree with. You think I want to go argue every week?"

His answer was "I want you to be involved in a change in that church."

Ummm, ok. And just how much change is there going to be in ANY denominational church?

But, considering that was the only thing I was hearing from Him, I determined that I would go until I heard otherwise. I was shocked after the first month and a half.

Five out of the first six messages were part of a series titled - Changing the Church

What ?!? WOW, that had me excited. I was going to straighten them up doctrinally, in practice, the whole shootin' match. And it was God ordained - or so I thought.

I saw an elder from the Bible Church one day, and told him where God had led me, and he had the same reaction as you - God wouldn't send you to a church like that. Well, little did he know what God had for me

I talked with the AoG pastor about eternal security, which was my big issue. Sort of like how Evangelist seems to have election on the tip of his tongue all the time

But that wasn't what God had in mind for that church, or me

There was hypocrisy running rampant, immature believers set on the flesh, and just a big mess. I got caught up in unfounded accusations after praying with a female after a service, and was met with some blunt legalism that really hurt.

I had talked with the pastor and the music pastor about these issues, and some was brought to the forefront and challenged because of me.

I was involved in a change in that church, alright. But not the kind of change I had in mind. After the buzz saw I encountered there, I desired so much to be part of a normal body of believers, that I didn't care one bit if I agreed with all their doctrine.

That's when God directed me to FBC. I already knew I didn't agree with everything they teach, but I didn't care. I needed functional fellowship, and that's what I found there.

Now here's the part where I was changed - I learned how to respectfully interact with people I disagree with. God was working on ME at that AoG church, and then at the SB church.

He made me see something I could not see before, that I am not the sole truth-bearer on this planet, and that there are genuine believers on the other side of every debatable issue within orthodoxy. That fellowship in the body is just as important as truth

Now, I am at a very small church, and it is full of very fragile Christians. I have talked with the pastor at great length, and he's at a place where he's questioning the church's long held AoG-type beliefs.

He's been praying, for a couple of years, that God would send men who can teach the scriptures. He's sick of seeing excesses based on private revelation, and sick of believing based on gut feelings and tradition.

He wants his congregation to learn the scriptures, and has been praying for God to send teachers. Would you believe that 4 years ago God told me that I would be heavily involved with this little church?

I had no idea why, but waited on Him to direct me, and He has. I've been there 4 months, and already have been established as bible teacher.

And here's the kicker. I have learned how to treat them with gentleness, because they need it. They are fragile, and have almost zero biblical understanding. Everything has been experiential up to this point. But they want to know scripture, and don't need someone hammering them, like I would have done a few years ago

See, I don't believe God has to get your permission to send Evangelist to this church.

I know, I know, He's run so many of His past decisions by you before deciding where to send someone. It's hard to fathom that God works on people any way other than your way

I told part of this to Evangelist a little while back, when he was asking for advice on this church.

And I would hope he would take only part of your advice - pray about it.

Then, I would caution you to let God give the answer, and not you. You tell someone to pray about something, then get in God's way to give the answer yourself?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you see here a debate over church government perhaps you need to look again. You have the oddest way of interpreting posts. I am saying that I don't see an issue with the practice of voting and congrats on finding a church home.

#13 JonC, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan can correct me -- but I think all of the above is referencing a former church he was part of --not his current one.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fascinating ....you have packed allot into that post. And you are right to correct DCONN, though he was only trying to help.

What I would personally like to see is more about the challanges you have experienced. See, I have been trying like all heck to cultivate an assembly of disgruntled and disconnected people who have no persieved place to go and truthfully are darn tired of "church." And here is another challange ..... most are or were Catholic. So your experiences with pentecostal churches might prove beneficial in my own work.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

By what manner? Was it an actual, hand-raising, or "Aye" vote, or did the pastor simply say something like, "Would you please affirm that we will be the church to help such-and-such grow in Christ and minister to others by saying 'Amen'?" We do the latter. I don't call it a vote. I call it a welcome.
    I carefully read the next segment of your post -- EW&F posted the whole thing, so there's no need to do so again, but it was worth considering. I've chopped down the remainder of your post below here -- just to indicate I read the whole thing and to save space. Again, EW&F quoted it ...
    Point taken. It wasn't all that great, was it? Amen, and I honestly needed to read that this morning. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#16 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did you post in the debate forum.

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was an "aye/nay" vote. It was unanimous, as were the dozen or so since. in a way you're right. It's not really a vote if everybody says yes every time. But I guess someone could say he knows the dirty scoundrel and then vote no

And I apologize for my sarcasm at the end of my last post to you. I could have made the point without it. Your humble response was something I needed this morning

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I really like this idea. I think we could implement this. I have never liked the idea of voting on a new member. Thanks.

#19 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it also....thanks DCONN for bringing it to our attention.