1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Metallica vs. country

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to be credible you need to not intentionally misrepresent others. I never said those songs never get played. You are trying to compare:

1.)a single group from one genre

2.)with the entirety of another genre

For the purpose of showing that one single group of one genre is not really so bad.

Your comparison is wrong, it is dishonest, and it is completely one sided.

Now if you would like to know how to make a legitimate comparison look here.

1.)You either take the song topics from the whole of the genre that Metallica is in

or

2.)You compare Mettallica with only on single group from the country genre.

Anything else is just dishonest.

#21 Revmitchell, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. Every time I've heard a country music station playing there's always songs about drinking and lust.
    That said, I have nothing against country music (though the style doesn't appeal to me at all), and not all of the songs have questionable lyrics. Any genre is capable of questionable lyrics, or not.

#22 evenifigoalone, Jul 16, 2014
  3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're kind of getting annoying at this point to be honest. I'm not dishonestly misrepresenting anything. These songs are listed on the Billboard top 25 for a reason - people request them and therefore they get played more on the radio, plus nowadays they consider mp3 sales and downloads. Songs don't make it to Billboard for no reason. If you listened to these stations you would know this. I fully realize you can't wrap your mind around that fact but that doesn't make me a liar.

I stand by my original assessment that if you listen to 15-20 songs on a MODERN country radio station, you will be exposed to MUCH more glorification of drinking, lust, premarital sex, partying, and marijuana smoking than if you listened to the same number of top Metallica songs or one of their concerts. I'm sorry but it is true, as shocking as it is. The question is why people who look down on Metallica fans often don't think twice about listening to these stations. And yes they also go out and buy albums and mp3's with the same songs.

Everybody gets it but you.

#23 corndogggy, Jul 16, 2014
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you can get annoyed but you are making a bad comparison that is dishonest.

Again comparing one single band to an entire genre is not a legitimate comparison and is dishonest.

Not all of country music is composed of the top 10 or 20. There are many many family oriented country songs out there.

So why don't you find a country artist that is more family oriented and compare Mettalica to one of them.

#24 Revmitchell, Jul 16, 2014
  5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it is, when the question is specifically in regards to the people who act like you're evil for listening to Metallica then go listen to these songs. The question is about these goody goodies more than the songs. I know what is in the songs, which is why it makes no sense.

That's kind of the problem. Most modern country fans would consider Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, etc. to be very family friendly. Well guess what? They're all on this list. Blake Shelton even hosts "The Voice" which is watched by an insane number of teens and tweens, with the parents thinking nothing about him. Metallica though? No way their precious little snowflake is listening to that devil music.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So songs about drinking lusting smoking marijuana partying memory loss etc., are ok as long as you offset it with some Jesus occasionally? :BangHead: The spiritual ones are hardly what is getting top air play anyway. I sang "when I get where I'm going" at my grandfather's funeral so I am quite familiar with it, and I can't say I have ever heard it being played on the radio at all in the recent past, maybe a little when it first came out, I can't even remember.

#27 corndogggy, Jul 16, 2014
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #28 Revmitchell, Jul 16, 2014
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Again I never said this nor implied it. You are reaching in order to justify your weak position. I have not put words in your mouth. PLease refrain from doing that to me.

This is irrelevant to the point. However, they do get top air play from time to time.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oooohhh.... 17th century traditional Irish tunes, the most evil kind of music. :thumbsup:

It's not like you wouldn't hear worse on a modern country station anyway. Ridiculous.

10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along with everything else, no? Once again, you're saying the drinking smoking lusting etc. is fine as long as they pepper it with some Jesus.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not listen to those types of songs on any station. And I see you cherry picked again. Regardless it is not the kind of lyrics we should be listening too.

#32 Revmitchell, Jul 16, 2014
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok there is where your dishonesty is coming into play again. I never said anything of the sort.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes along with everything else.

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are implying that modern country radio is good because they play some religious songs, yet it is a proven fact that they play drinking smoking and lusting songs far more, but you're apparently more than willing to overlook this. So yeah that is exactly what you are communicating even if it wasn't your exact words.

#35 corndogggy, Jul 16, 2014
  15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no need to argue quite so much. =P
    Don't think anyone is saying that one genre is sinful while another isn't. Not in this thread, anyway.

Interesting, though, that those against rock music condemn it as going right along with sex and being sensual, when country music promotes lust and fornication way, way more. (Not saying some rock music doesn't promote bad stuff.)
    One country song I do like is "Watching You", by Rodney Aktins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzK3VwzraM

Can't account for the content of his other songs, mind.

#36 evenifigoalone, Jul 16, 2014
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I'm not. What I am saying is that you are condeming all country songs be comparing the entire genre to one single band form another genre. Your comparison and criticism is false. You do not know what you are talking about.

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you're just being dishonest again. ;) Ha!

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Prove that it is "way more".

19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I hear country music playing on the radio it's very hard to come across a song that isn't about drinking or lust or doing things your mama would be ashamed of.

Not saying rock music doesn't promote bad stuff, too. But I love me some rock music and I don't know all that many rock songs that have the same themes.