1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Meteor Storm Set to Dazzle Star Gazers

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Acts 1:8, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Star gazers in Europe, Britain and North America are in for a treat next week and have prime viewing positions for what could be the biggest natural fireworks display of the 21st century.

During the early hours of November 19 thousands of meteors, or shooting stars, will light up the night sky as they enter the atmosphere at speeds of about 160,000 miles per hour.

"It is a natural fireworks display, a celestial spectacle," Professor Mark Bailey, of the Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland, told Reuters on Friday.

Known as the Leonids because they originate in the constellation Leo, the meteor storm will occur in two bursts during the night of November 18 to 19.

Britain and Europe will have the best views for the first burst of the shower that scientists predict will occur at about 10:50 p.m. EDT and residents in North America are best placed to see the second barrage at about 5:30 a.m. EDT.

"You have two components to the shower, two parts of the world that are potentially able to observe it," Bailey added.

Although a full moon might dull the spectacle a bit, this year's storm could be the biggest for the next 100 years, with 1,000 meteors per hour trailing across the sky in the first burst and as many as 6,000 per hour during the second.

"The U.S. is better off than we are but on the other hand a thousand in an hour is probably more than most people see in a lifetime," Bailey said.

METEORIC DEBRIS

Meteors are bits of rock and dust that hit the Earth's atmosphere, heat up and glow. Most vaporize as they descend but some explode.

The Leonids are debris from the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle. About every 33 years the comet returns to the inner solar system and releases materials that form new dust trails that stretch from the comet many millions of miles away.

The comet is due to return to the inner solar system around 2033 and 2066 but the meteor storms are not expected to be as spectacular.

"The Earth just happens to be going through this very fine trail of meteoric debris. That trail that we run into at four in the morning on Tuesday the 19th was emitted during its passage around the sun in 1767," Bailey said.

The trail the Earth will pass through during the second part of the storm was emitted 1866.

Thanks to calculating techniques developed by David Asher, of the Armagh Observatory, and Robert McNaught, of the Australian National University, Bailey said meteor storm prediction has become more precise.

"If the weather forecast sounds like it may be vaguely clear, it will be well worth it."

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The leonid and perseid meteor showers, both of which occur each year like clockwork, are some of the most beautiful sights in the heavens.

3. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

I agree, I got up last year at 4AM here in Tampa and saw them. I went far out into the country and layed out for about an hour and saw a few hundred. Some of them left orange and green trails and some would break apart into pieces. It was pretty spectacular and it certainly makes you marvel and appreciate God's handiwork.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok, make this easy on me. I'm in Ohio. What's the exact time and date I have to get up early? [​IMG]
    Gina

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The rain and clouds can REALLY kill a view! [​IMG]

7. jonmagee

jonmagee New Member

so sorry i missed it ........maybe another time
    yours, Jon.

8. kman

kman New Member

Hey..I watched the shower from 5am - 6am. I had a good view of alot of the sky..and not much light pollution.

I counted 225 meteors from 5:25am - 5:55am.
    That averages about 7.5 per minute.

Alot were dim though. Didn't seem to be as many bright ones as last year.

Smoke trails..one shown red as it "broke up".

Still Frozen.

If you missed it..not to worry. They'll be back in
    2098. :eek:

-kman

9. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

It was spectacular! I had a great view, and I live in the city.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Kman, they come around every 33 years. Next show will start around 2032.

11. kman

kman New Member

The leonids occur every year. Most years however they only rate around 15 per hour. Every now and
    then the earth passes through a concentrated debris field and thus a meteor "storm" can occur. The next "storm level" activity is predicted to
    be 2098 or later.

http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2002/leonids2002.html

"This year is the last year that Earth's path will take it directly a debris field for a long time. In fact, the orbit of Earth and Comet Tempel-Tuttle won't line up so nicely again until the years 2098 and 2131."