1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Methods of Expression in a Baptist historical context

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Jeff Weaver, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

In another thread Bro. Robert wrote:

Bro. Robert,

Your comment brought more things to mind, and that is how we (individually and collectively) express ourselves.

I have noticed that Primitive Baptists and other Baptist groups do as well have certain ways of expressing themselves unique to that group. This obviously has resulted in schisms of varying degree and severity in the Baptist family. That is to say that some Baptist groups have divided over words or phrases that were preceived differently than the author/speaker intended. The obvious example, I think, is the Absoulte/Non-Absolute Predestinarian division among Primitive Baptists. I really don't see much real difference in theology, but there is some difference in expression, and therefore the rift.

At any rate, what other examples of this type problem can you all come up with? I am not so dense that I think it will lead to any reconciliations, just a matter of curiosity.

Jeff

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeff, I think my mind is in "almost-ready-to-go-to-sleep" mode, and not much comes to mind right now. One thing we have recently discussed on the board is feetwashing. I have known some people that are bothered more by the terminology used to express what the rite is, than they are by the actual rite itself. One person (who believes the church has two ordinances) told me that he would fellowship with churches of like faith that practice feetwashing if they did not believe it was an ordinance, but would not fellowship with those who call it an ordinance.

As for the Abolute/Non-Absolute controversy, I personally have not found much of what I would call a real difference between the two groups, though they do have some very different ways of expressing what they believe on the matter. I prefer not to use the terminology of either group exactly, and in my opinion what some of the Absoluters are expressing is more about the absolute sovereignty of God than about predestination. But's that just my opinion. But I think any who open-mindedly read the Fort Worth Council of 1902 should come away with a very different view of Absolute Predestinarianism than their preconceived ideas. But I must also issue the disclaimer that the FW Council doesn't express what all Absoluters believe.