1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michael A. Peroutka on Taxes

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by ballfan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ballfan

ballfan New Member

Budgetary, Spending, and Tax Issues, Part 3: Taxes (A)
    (Back to top)
    Taxes

Using the key below, indicate what levels you support regarding taxes, deductions, and tax credits in the following categories. Select one number per category.

Income Taxes:

Family Income
    Eliminate a) Less than $25,000

Eliminate b) $25,000-$75,000

Eliminate c) $75,000-$150,000

Eliminate d) Over $150,000

Eliminate e) Other

Retiree Income
    Eliminate f) Over $40,000

No Answer g) Other

Other Taxes:
    Eliminate a) Alcohol taxes

Eliminate b) Capital gains taxes

Eliminate c) Cigarette taxes

Eliminate d) Corporate taxes

Eliminate e) Gasoline taxes

Eliminate f) Inheritance taxes

Slightly Increase g) Other
    TARIFFS

Deductions/Credits:
    Eliminate a) Charitable contributions

Eliminate b) Child tax credit

Eliminate c) Earned income tax credit

Eliminate d) Medical expense deduction

Eliminate e) Mortgage deduction

Eliminate f) Student loan credit

No Answer g) Other

source

2. ballfan

ballfan New Member

Budgetary, Spending, and Tax Issues, Part 1: Budget Priorities
    (Back to top)
    Budget Priorities

Using the key below, indicate what levels of federal funding you support for the following general categories. Select one number per category.
    Eliminate Funding a) Agriculture

Eliminate Funding b) Arts

Slightly Decrease Funding c) Defense

Eliminate Funding d) Education

Eliminate Funding e) Environment

Eliminate Funding f) Homeland security

Eliminate Funding g) International aid

Eliminate Funding h) Law enforcement

Eliminate Funding i) Medical research

Eliminate Funding j) National parks

Eliminate Funding k) Public health services

Eliminate Funding l) Scientific research

Eliminate Funding m) Space exploration programs

Eliminate Funding n) Transportation and highway infrastructure

Eliminate Funding o) Welfare

No Answer p) Other

No Answer q) Other

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

In Peroutka's own words:

"As President, I would work to repeal the Sixteenth Amendment, abolish the IRS, eliminate the income tax and other Godless forms of taxation such as the property tax and the inheritance tax. As President, I would go back to the original design of the Founders, which was to sustain the legitimate role of the Federal government through excises, imposts, duties, and apportionment among the states."

SOURCE

4. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I understand he also wants to eliminate Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Is that correct?

I see something that looks odd in the tax position. He wants to eliminate income taxes but then tax retirement benefits under 40,000 dollars.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think under current law only retirement benefits over $40,000 are taxed, ballfan.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The Social Security trust should not be a "rainy day" fund which politicians can pirate, or from which they can borrow to cover their errors and pay for their excesses.

The Constitution Party supports legislation to require that the federal government meet its obligations to protect Social Security funds as a trust which can be used only to fulfill its obligations to those who have contributed to the system.

Additionally, we believe an individual who has contributed to Social Security be allowed to withdraw contributed funds and transfer them to an IRA or similar investment under his control.

The Constitution grants no authority to the federal government to require working citizens to participate in Social Security. Individual citizens should have the right to choose between private retirement and pension programs, either at their place of employment or independently. We support the right of those entering the labor market to elect to participate in private plans as an alternative to the federal Social Security program.

We call for the removal of earning limitations on persons aged 62 and over, so that they may earn any amount of additional income without placing their Social Security benefits at risk.

We urge the repeal of those provisions of the Social Security system which penalize those born during the "notch years" between 1917 and 1926, and argue that such persons be placed on the same benefit schedules as all other beneficiaries.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Until the Social Security and Medicare functions are privatized, we call for an end to the raiding of their funds.

SOURCE

That says that he wants to eliminate taxes on retiree income over $40,000. It doesn't say he wants to tax retirement benefits under $40,000.

I don't know, but I would assume that this means the current system only taxes retiree income over $40,000, Peroutka would remove that.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonathan, ballfan is making an incorrect assumption about the question. See my post just before yours. There is no reason to support eliminating taxing something that isn't currently being taxed. [​IMG]

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Yeah, I saw that, after reading the actuall statment and looking at the chart, I saw that ballfan was assuming that by eliminating one, he would create the other. This is not true. I edited my original post.

9. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I think if you'll check it is possible and likely that a retiree receiving less than 40,000 dollars in social security benefits and other income will have to pay income taxes.

His answer said nothing about eliminating those taxes. He only gave answer for over 40,000.

It might be an oversight on his part. it still looks odd.

Also he wants to eliminate medicare and medicaid. Does he propose what these people who depend on them for insurance do?

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I will have to check, because I don't know how taxes are handled for a retiree receiving less than 40,000. I do know that it is Michael Peroutka and the Constitution Party to eliminate ALL federal income tax, so everyone regardless of income level, retiree or not, would pay $0 in federal income tax.

"Until the Social Security and Medicare functions are privatized, we call for an end to the raiding of their funds."

The funds that are there would be there, untill the Medicare and Medicaid systems are privatized.

11. ballfan

ballfan New Member

How does he suggest privatizing medicare and medicaid?

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

There are currently are some members of Congressmen in Washington who have suggested doing this, so I am assuming that he would probably work with them to do this.

13. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I just put a little "tax calculator" on my web server to show how the Peroutka tax cut would benefit you and every other taxpayer in the country: http://www.netpublicist.com/taxcut/

14. ballfan

ballfan New Member

So we don't really know how he's going to eliminate social security, medicare, or medicaid other than "he's just going to do it". He appears to be a man of mystery.

I'm all for eliminating my taxes. Is there any idea of how he intends to actually accomplish this feat?

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I would encourage you to read the party platform. They have it laid out to answer many of your questions. I would encourage you to email his campaign with any questions that are not answered by the platform.

16. Hyperspace

Hyperspace Guest

Constitution Party Social Security

The Social Security trust should not be a "rainy day" fund which politicians can pirate, or from which they can borrow to cover their errors and pay for their excesses.

The Constitution Party supports legislation to require that the federal government meet its obligations to protect Social Security funds as a trust which can be used only to fulfill its obligations to those who have contributed to the system.

Additionally, we believe an individual who has contributed to Social Security be allowed to withdraw contributed funds and transfer them to an IRA or similar investment under his control.

The Constitution grants no authority to the federal government to require working citizens to participate in Social Security. Individual citizens should have the right to choose between private retirement and pension programs, either at their place of employment or independently. We support the right of those entering the labor market to elect to participate in private plans as an alternative to the federal Social Security program.

We call for the removal of earning limitations on persons aged 62 and over, so that they may earn any amount of additional income without placing their Social Security benefits at risk.

We urge the repeal of those provisions of the Social Security system which penalize those born during the "notch years" between 1917 and 1926, and argue that such persons be placed on the same benefit schedules as all other beneficiaries.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are lots of pro-free market, pro-liberty ideas for reducing government involvement in these programs so that they are more efficient and helpful than they are now. Here are some ideas:

www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb108/hb108-26.pdf

www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb108/hb108-25.pdf

18. ballfan

ballfan New Member

There are lots of pro-free market, pro-liberty ideas for reducing government involvement in these programs so that they are more efficient and helpful than they are now. Here are some ideas:

www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb108/hb108-26.pdf

www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb108/hb108-25.pdf
    </font>[/QUOTE]Since he's the one running for president wouldn't it be nice to hear how he intends to accomplish those feats from him.

I'll bet he's a Simon and Garfunkul fan. Favorite song would be:

Silence is Golden

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Your strange logic says, because he doesn't break down a 4 year plan for every single issue, then he must be silent on the issues.

I would guess you haven't spent 5 minutes on his Web site, haven't watched his DVD, haven't read the CP platform and haven't picked up the phone to call his campaign office or emailed them with any of your questions.

I guess your so used to having people just tell you how to vote, that you don't want to have to actually take the time to research the candidate on your own.

Let me guess, you vote straight (R) on the ballot, regardless of the name beside the "R"?

Can you tell me how George W. Bush is going to accomplish everything in the GOP platform?? Oh, that's right the GOP doesn't require their candidates to read their platform, or abide by it's planks.

Take some time to educate yourself!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." -- Thomas Jefferson

20. ballfan

ballfan New Member

How about an actual plan on any issue?