1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another question I have re MABTS is this: With my alma mater Union University starting a Master of Christian Studies program at both their Jackson and Germantown campuses, what kind of effect will this have on MABTS? Will students who complete Union's MCS program eventually enroll in the MDiv at MABTS? Will students choose Union over MABTS because of time constraints, a mroe flexible schedule, etc.?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speedpass Response

Speedpass,

Allow me to take a shot at this question. I have a vested interest in both MABTS and Union U.

The MCS program is meeting at my church (GBC, or it was before our recent problems), where I am a member; the Germantown Baptist Church. It is a type of general master's or a program where one can finish and get a master's in a ministry related field. It is not necessarily for preachers or folk pursuing a pulpit ministry.

Of course you know that the "workhorse degree" for MABTS is the MDiv. This is the standard "preacher's degree" as you also well know. There is a sense in which the two programs are completely unrelated as can be seen. But, on the other hand it could be viewed that both are competing for the same student pool.

Union's MCS is primarily focused on those like educational ministers, music people, children's minister's et al who want a Master's but do not want to relocate or go the "MDiv route."

A definitive plus to the MCS is that it is only 40 something hrs I believe. While MABTS' MDiv is still 96 hrs. The MCS can be done in one session per week where MABTS' programs are 4 days per week one hr per day. That makes a very big difference to those who "want to have a life!"

By-the-by, the director of the UU MCS program is a good friend of mine. I have somewhat of an inside on this particular thing.

I guess Mid America could see it as a threat and drain on the student pool. But they seem to be targeting different audiences. But I am sure that some will finish the MCS at UU and then go to MABTS and get the MDiv eventually.

Stay by the stuff!:thumbsup:

sdg!

rd

#22 Rhetorician, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006