1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid America Baptist vs Master's International University of D

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Peter James, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Peter James

Peter James New Member

Hi again,

I have posted in the past and then fell asleep spiritually. Recently, I was awakened by a rather gruff SBC sort who seemed not to know me very well or understand me; yet, he egged me on to go forward into doing what God wants me to do full time. I have this desire to teach the Bible, theology, expositions of Bible books and backgrounds and I'd like to do it anywhere: high school, Sunday school, college, overseas Bible institute. Wherever the need may be. I try to be a 'gentler' form of Independent Fundamental Baptist. [currently I teach adult Bible Sunday school, write my own lessons, love the Bible backgrounds, and am currently teaching on Revelation. LOVE IT! Also, I already have a Bachelors in Biblical Studies]

My problem is the cost. I pretty much know from the title that most on here will probably say I should always go the accredited route. I saw Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary in a Bible study magazine and I can't explain it; I've looked at tons of colleges IFB or otherwise, but this one stuck out to me. Maybe it was the fancy ad and website. But something stirred in me, and much later came to find out their Northeast Campus is 1 hour from me in Schenectady, NY.

But then something else happened. (Totally different/stupid story, I know.) I decided not to renew my $60 World Magazine because of how expensive it was per year; then something nagged at me. I balked at the cost of WM for a small $60 when I am going to pay a lot of money ($250 per credit hour at MABTS) for a seminary degree? Am I using the Lord's properly? I'm not looking to teach on deep level, critical theological debates to a select few of niche seminarian students. Rather, I'd like to train the Lord's workers to go out and make disciples.

I've looked at Master's International University of Divinity; they have tons of positive feedback on facebook, more than MABTS or any educational institute for that matter. So, I don't get a sense they are a diploma mill - just an unaccredited institution. But, I still have worries and doubts about that one too, what if everyone just laughs or does not take seriously the degree there?

I have a way to fund a snail's pace method of going to Seminary (through my transcription service); I don't want to think that I am paying a ton of money when I can get similar education at Master's for less. But then, I'm not sure I would be able to teach anywhere (high school, college).

What do you say to someone who knows they are called to Seminary, but wants to make sure he's using the Lord's money wisely and leaving the door of opportunities and options open?

2. Peter James

Peter James New Member

I think I'm basically answering my own question on this.

Upon further investigation, I'm seeing colleges like Louisiana Baptist University or Masters International Divinity School - they are nice schools. They probably fit the bill for people looking to enhance their education.

But I just realized that the faculty themselves are graduates from unaccredited schools and in many instances, they are graduates of the same unaccredited school that they are now teaching at!

For me, I'd like to be challenged in my faith, grapple with issues in the Bible text, and be totally competent in any classroom situation. I'd like seminary professors who ask me to account for what I believe; I'm thinking unaccredited institutions most likely are not going to do that.

Heck, I'd go to Concordia University (Lutheran School) just to test my belief system and have the ability to learn and talk with other Christians. That's how much I believe in being challenged and being able to come through the other side and say 'I'm still Baptist after 4 years at a Lutheran school' or 'you know what, they really made me think about my faith.'

So all in all, these last two entries were merely diary passages of mine to confirm what I probably already knew in my heart: if I want just the information possibly from untested sources, non-accredited is okay.

But if I want to be a great teacher competent in the disciplines through rigor and academic "suffering", there's a reason for legit accrediting boards and agencies. And yes, it's more money. But that's okay, whatever the Lord's will is - He will provide in some way shape or form.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want or need something to hang on the wall, I'd go accredited.

If you just want to learn, though, the amount of free lectures available from the best schools is mind boggling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary in Schenectady is good, and I would recommend it. Not sure if Van McClain is still teaching there, but he would be a good person to contact for further information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Peter James

Peter James New Member

Ziggy - Oh wow, thank you for that information. If I have to go at a snail's pace at seminary, no worries. It means the Lord has an adventure for me! God Bless - Peter James

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a MABTS alum who has hung around Memphis since I graduated 30 years ago. If you will PM me we can talk. Be glad to share a good word about the school with you.

sdg!

rd

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist