1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid-America Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BibleBob, Oct 27, 2004.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

I am probably going to go to seminary one day(now I am a college Freshman at Union University in Jackson, TN), and I was thinking about what seminary I might want to go to. I am from Memphis and Mid-America is there so that is definitely an option for me. I was just wondering if anyone knew much about it, like is it a good seminary? Has anyone ever gone there? I'm just curious as to what's its reputation among other Baptists. Thanks alot. God bless.

Bob

2. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

I highly recommend Mid-America. I got my M.Div. at Southwestern Baptist Seminary in Fort Worth and my D.Min. at Mid-America. They are about to move their campus to a place near Bellevue Baptist in Cordova. My older son is a junior at Union. I think Union is a great university.

3. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what is your son's name? I don't know too many juniors, but I might know him.

Bob

4. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what is your son's name? I don't know too many juniors, but I might know him. Thanks for the response by the way. I believe the groundbreaking ceremony for Mid-America's new building was today. I think I saw that in the paper.

Bob

5. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

His name is Andy Morris. He has been in the drama productions at Union lately. He was MacDuff in the MacBeth production last spring. He was in "Metamorphosis" recently. I'm an SBC missionary. I think there are about 100 sons and daughters of SBC missionaries at Union.

6. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Hey I do know him. He plays trombone as do I in the school's symphonic band. Small world. That's cool. I'll have to tell him about this.

Bob

7. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

It's a small world.

8. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Union is a great school. I graduated in 2002 with a degree in Biblical Languages. The Christian Studies faculty are some of the best in their respective fields. George Guthrie, Greg Thornbury, Kelvin Moore, and Brad Green were and remain formative in my life.
    By the way, have they started on the science building yet? They were supposed to start it in 2001.

Lon

9. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Sadly no. It is still a lovely pile of bricks. Apparently the delay was caused by the planned addition of a nurse anesthesiology program which required the plans to be have to be redrawn to add a fourth floor, but that is merely hearsay. I have heard it floating around campus that they plan to finally start in spring so, well see.

10. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

BibleBob, here's a bit of information that may help "seal the deal" for you going to Mid-America. Dr. Spradlin, the president, is a fine trombone player. Andy actually played in a trombone quartet with him one Sunday night at Bellevue Baptist. Seriously, Mid-America is a great institution with great faculty and students.

11. Paul Schafer

Paul Schafer New Member

So what's so special about Mid-America Sem.?

12. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

If you're looking for a conservative Baptist seminary where all the professors believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, it's a good choice. It's the only seminary I know of that requires all students to witness to an average of one person per week. There is accountability on this -- you have to turn in report forms about your witnessing. Also, one day a week in chapel, students and faculty members report on their witnessing experiences. You cannot learn how to be an effective witness by reading a book. You have to do it. Everyone who graduates from Mid-America has gained a lot of experience in witnessing. The accountability factor is valuable. All Christians know they should regularly witness, but many don't because there is no accountability factor. (That's true of a lot of things we should be doing.)

13. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

I should clarify what I said in my previous post about becoming an effective witness. I think books on witnessing and classroom sessions can be very helpful. I also think, however, that programs such as CWT, EE, and FAITH emphasize not only the book work and classroom work; they also emphasize actually going out and witnessing. There is usually a more experienced person who mentors two less experienced people when they make an evangelistic contact. The two less experienced people are given more and more responsibility and develop more and more confidence and "smoothness." I think it's like becoming an effective preacher. You can learn how to preach from a book on preaching. But to become a more effective preacher, experience counts. I can still remember my first sermons -- not very smooth.

14. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Thanks for all the good info.

15. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

What are you looking for in a seminary?

That would affect the answer to your question about MABTS being right for you.

16. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Umm...pretty much a good solid theological education. You know. I'll have to think about that alittle more. I'll get back to you.