1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mid Continent Baptist Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey to all:

I have several friends who attended Mid Continent. I have always loved this dear old school; what its standing was, its commitment to the Gospel, even its past commitment to the Landmark understandings of the church. As an alum of MABTS, our commonly-held ultra-conservative theologies are one thread that has bound me to it in Christian fraternity I suppose.

The discussions on the other thread about Dr. Roy O. Beaman may have prompted this thought in me?

Having said all of the above, I would love to hear some good remembrances of your days there, people whom you have known that attended there, past presidents' influences, profs' influences, and just anything in general that would let me know more about the ethos of this dear old and dearly loved Baptist institution.

Let me hear from you! Thanks for your input ahead-of-time.

sdg!

rd

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Greetings, Rhetorician,

I am not a graduate of Mid-Continent, but I do have some knowledge of where the school is now, since I am privileged to serve as chairman of the board of trustees. It is now Mid-Continent University, a four-year liberal arts institution. Within the school are two divisions: The Baptist College of the Bible and the Baptist College of Arts and Sciences. Many of the alumni were wary of the change, fearing that it was a step toward becoming liberal. That has not happened. It is true that it is no longer predominantly Landmark in its orientation (although I embrace much of Landmarkism myself). Just last year, 2005, the trustees revised the school's by-laws to specifically state what was generally assumed in earlier years. All trustees are active members of Southern Baptist congregations. The by-laws specifically say that the school holds to a divinely-inspired, inerrant view of the nature of Scripture. All faculty are required to adhere to the Baptist Faith and Message. The faculty is mandated to incorporate the Christian world view into every course, even those in the College of Arts and Sciences. Each professor is required to put in writing specifically how he or she will do that.
    Because of the witnessing of faculty, staff and students, a dozen or so students have been drawn to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ in the past year. Every student is required to take several hours of Christian studies courses. Each of the Advantage (Accelerated Degree)classes has a chaplain.
    The Baptist College of the Bible is gratuating more preachers than ever before, and enrollment (170 or so when I joined the board in 1997) is now well over 1,000. MCU has graduated more students in the past four years than it did in the entire previous 50 years of existence.
    I admit some bias, and this may sound like a promotional advertisment for MCU. I've gone into detail to respond to your post, and also to clear up any misconceptions about where the school is now. I, too, will be interested to hear from others on this subject.

TB

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Tom,

I thank you for your faithful service to MCU. I know it must be hard as the Chair of the Board to walk the line b/t the secular and the sacred.

This same type thing happened to my little Bible college in Memphis, Mid South Bible College. It is now Crichton College. I really have loved MCBBC over the years and appreciate all of the faithful ministers, missionaries, preachers' wives, Christian Ed folk, and the like.

I have a love for the school b/c I am like-minded with the theology, philosophy of education, and know and have known many of the alum and grads.

All of you there keep up the good work done for the "Kingdom's Increase."

By-the-by, is the school still owned by the local Baptist Associations there? How has that played out? Is there any movement towards it becoming a Kentucky Baptist Convention school?

Let me hear back from you. I really would like to sit down some time and talk over coffee.

God Speed!

sdg!

rd

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Nothing specific in my knowledge, but some state rating by KY last year rated the academics level as #2 in the entire state among colleges and universities. I looked it up at the time. Another 'Christian College' of another persuasion, 'Kentucky Christian' was rated as tied for third, a fraction behind MCU. They were far above the mean and average of the state. Perhaps Mr. Butler could also comment on this.
    Ed

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Bro. Ed,
    Specifically the #2 rating was for our teacher education program. I don't have it right in front of me, but Centre College was #1, and somewhere around eight of the top ten were private colleges and universities, including Georgetown and Campbellsville.

Bro Rhetorician,

When you purposefully incorporate the Christian World View into your secular education courses, and your faculty enthusiastically embrace that policy, and your president is a godly man who led the way, then "walking the line," as you put it, is a lot easier. Our President, Dr. Bob Imhoff, says the secret to making a conservative college liberal is "one hire at a time." It can sneak up on the trustees, as well if the one hire they make is the wrong one--the president. We are blessed.
    Because of governance subtleties, our associations are now referred to as "supporting associations." They still nominate two trustees each to the board. We also have several "at large" members, elected directly by the board itself.
    You also raised the question of any movement toward becoming a Kentucky Baptist entity. I will say that the matter has come up in casual conversations, but so far, the answer is no. While we on this subject, I'd be interested in hearing from alumni and anybody else interested in Mid-Continent University on the question.

Tom B

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,

Thank you for the insight and your leadership @ MCU. I look forward to hearing new and great things about her leadership in KY and the good things her alumni will continue to do!

It is always exciting to hear good news from sister schools.

sdg!

rd

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I know there are some Mid-Coninent Alums on this board. And at least one former professor and administrator. And others who know of the school's history. I'd love to hear from them in this thread.

Tom B.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let me add a couple of other items about MCU.
    The soccer team won the Natonal Christian College Athletic Association championship, and the coach, Joe Zachowitz was named Coach of the Year.

The friendship that developed between our President, Dr. Bob Imhoff, and the prime minister of Antigua has led to an interesting situation. The prime minister has offered the use of an old military base as a headquarters for mission teams from the area. The military will provide housing, transportation and security on the base for the teams while they are in country. In return, some MCU folks have gone down and repaid a lot of broken-down equipment for them. The retired Dean of the Baptist College of the Bible, Dr. James Cecil, is coordinating the mission trips. Several churches in the area are already planning some trips for later this year.

Tom B.

9. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

As a 1960 grad (1/2 of the graduating class!), a long-time teacher, Academic Dean for several years, and Vice-President for a few, and still a friend of MCU, possibly I can "chip in" a word or two. When my wife and I drove up in 1958, with 2 years of state university behind me, we found a basement which had originally been designed for a Methodist place of worship, gravel parking lot, tar paper roof (that leaked when it rained). The campus developed on that rather undesirable site to over 200 students in the late '60's, with a second floor and 2 added buildings. The offer of a new campus site between Mayfield (where the school had moved in 1957 from its earlier location in Clinton, where I now live) and Paducah, the largest town in the area, came in the early '70's from a retired businessman. The campus has gone through a couple of major expansions, and few would call the faculty or administration anything but "conservative" in general approach, Christian world view, Baptist orientation (still relating to associations of SoBap churches, requiring an affinity for Bap. Faith & Message for faculty, holding inerrancy, etc.) As my good friend Tom has said, it is no longer explicitly "landmark" as it was in earlier days, but there are still faculty and close friends who hold those older standards. To that degree, it is probably more reflective of SoBap theology in general today - with some degree of "JRG" influence in the "big tent."

I left in 1982 (though I have done some teaching since from time to time) to become Associational Misisonary in West KY Baptist Assoc., which was the original "parent" of what was early on called "West Kentucky Baptist Bible Institute," a 3-year program. "West KY" was dropped when other associations began electing trustees; a fourth year, including Greek, was added with the move to Mayfield. Many of us who attended in those days are still quite pleased with the general education we received, though it was directed toward pastoral and ministry goals. We had (part-time) teachers with degrees from Harvard, the University of the Philippines, several seminaries (including Mid-America when it came on line), and a good variety of colleges and universities even in those days, and the library under a most remarkable woman, Anne (Mrs. O. C.) Markham, was a treasure to explore. (It still is, though she is long gone to her reward, probably to catalog Gabriel's collection!) (Yes, I have my tongue in my cheek, but if it needed it she would volunteer without hesitation. Once she was kidnapped by rebel fighters while cataloging a library in Guatemala; they brought her back after a while because she was correcting their grammar - and probably telling them not to chew gum! Too much for them! And she wrote most of these stories in a marvelous autobiography.) Her husband, who was Pres. when I came and while I stayed, was a rare person of faith who worked miracles with very limited resources. It was Elisha's "school of the Prophets" in those days, and still has much to offer the young preacher. I have recently recommended several potential students to the programs there.

Well, as is evident, I could "ramble on" a long time, but having answered "What time is it?" with instructions on how to make a watch, probably I had best improve my "terminal facilities." Wishing you all His best- Charles Blair - Ro. 8:28

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who hold "Mid Continent" in high esteem:

Gentlemen (ladies too),

Please tell me of any fond memories you have and hold of:

Dr. Roy O. Beaman;

and/or;

Dr. Laverne Butler;

and/or;

Rev. CD Cole.

I would even listen so some apocryphal oral traditions about the late and beloved Dr. H. Boyce Taylor!

I would love to hear from you about these dear men of God; their influence, practices, preaching, etc.

sdg!

rd

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Dr. Laverne Butler recruited me to the board of trustees when he was president at Mid-Continent. He is now living in Lexington, Kentucky. He turned 80 last week. He dropped in to the campus last week. I seek his counsel on occasion. He is a giant among us.

Tom B.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

IMO, the call of Laverne Butler to MCC was the greatest move the institution made in its history. On the surface, and at the time, many asked, Why a preacher over an educator? Now we know! I had the privilege to hear LB one time with a 'traveling Bible confeence' at my home church. Most could stand to take lessons and counsel, again, IMO.
    Ed

13. R. Charles Blair

Bro. Rhet - I did not have the privilege of knowing C. D. Cole, but have enjoyed his writings.

It was my privilege to meet Dr. Beaman a few times, all after he went with Dr. Allison to Little Rock & then to Memphis. He took over Dr. Taylor's work in Murray, then moved it to Paducah when he was called as pastor of West End there. When we had the 50th anniversary for that church, I was interim, and he was back to speak. I asked him some questions about the West Kentucky Bible School, and he said in 1937 it was down to two students and he let "the flood" (still known as such around here!) kill it. It was only 11 years later when preachers just back from WW II with their GI Bill education money asked West Kentucky Association to start what is now MCU. So far as I recall, Dr. Beaman never spoke there (our loss!), but I was on program with him at Trinity BC in Paducah once and we visited there as well. He had family in that church. It is now closed due to low attendance and high upkeep (though I believe a charismatic group meets there now). My favorite "memory" of Dr. Beaman is not personal, but from a friend who spoke of "a small man in a large room full of papers, with an enormous pair of shears, trying to fit all the papers into file folders by trimming the edges." That's my favorite because I do the same!

While I was already serving in West KY Assoc. when Bro. LaVerne Butler came to M-C, we had been friends for years before, and still are. As Bro. Ed says, it was a great move. When some of my colleagues asked the same question (why a preacher?) my answer was because we need a promoter people will trust, out among the churches. Dr. Robert Vann was Academic Dean (after me), and had things well in hand on campus; the President's real job is to be a "friend raiser." My favorite memory of Bro. Butler is that he publicly said everyone ought to read my book (now out of print), so naturally I liked him! While he is a fully confirmed dispensationalist, and "A" am closer to "a," we have a great friendship.

It is good to review some of these memories. I've already posted some on Dr. Taylor (not immediately sure in which thread, possibly in this one - I lose track of what is where.) Best - RCB - Ro 8:28

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Blair,

I posted about old Doc Beaman in another thread. I don't know if you read it or not. But, I am a MABTS alum. I was blessed to study Systematic Theology with him as a Diploma Student (96 sem hr same as the MDiv w/out languages).

The first time I had any dealings with Laverne Butler, he was the long-time pastor of Louisville Ninth & O Baptist. I was on Evangelist Sam Cathey's Board of Directors for many years. We drove from Nashville, TN to hear Bro. Sam @ 9th & O. Through those years, it is my understanding that Dr. Butler was a "thorn in the side" of the then liberals who were in control @ Southern.

I am fairly sure that you know two of my best ever in the ministry friends; Jonas Taylor and Larry & Joy Lindsey. We all came out of the same home church in Nashville; the Temple Baptist Church in Old Hickory. I even had the chance to lead Jonas to the Lord and disciple him until the Lord called him to preach.

As I said earlier, b/c of Dr. Beaman, my connections w/Sam Cathey, Mid America, Jonas Taylor, Larry Lindsey, Laverne Butler, et al; I feel as if I love Mid Continent as much as an alum.

I have probably said too much and run too long. It is just good to talk to some like all of you. It is just like going home again!

By the by, how would one get a copy of your book.

God's blessings on you and yours.

sdg!

rd

[ February 02, 2006, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Rhetorician ]

15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. R. Charles Blair

In fact, I also posted on that thread. Glad to know of your connection to some dear friends. It was a joy to have so many excellent people of God walk through the classroom over those years. We have started what we call "Heritage Baptist Bible Consortium," a network of churches hosting Bible and related classes, most 6 or 12 week series, one 3-hour night each week, not limited to any one geographic area. Several of us are involved.
    We are MCU-friendly, but working largely at entry level and very low overhead (no buildings, etc.)
    I'm just back from a NT Survey - 6 weeks to "fly over" the whole NT to set up chronology, geography, etc. We covered the life of Christ
    "in brief" tonight. Best - Charles - Ro. 8:28

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

R. Charles Blair said
    And MCU is Heritage-friendly. It has offered the consortium the use of its library facilities.

Tom

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    R. Charles Blair,

I would like to talk to you about teaching at the consortium. I just received my doctorate lately and am looking for venues in which I can teach some of the theological disciplines.

Please contact me by email or pm and "let's talk."

sdg!

rd

19. R. Charles Blair

Bro. Rhet - I'll be delighted to do that; however, I have never used the "private message" or e-mail feature of the BB, so will have to find out how to do that - I suspect it is on here somewhere, so will look. If I haven't found it in a reasonable time, feel free to bring my 20th century technonlgy into the 21st. Charles - Ro. 8:28

20. R. Charles Blair

Well, I've looked at everything on the BB without finding how to negotiate that hurdle. As my buddy Major B says about me, I am not a computer "whiz."
    Please advise, and we'll communicate more directly. Best - Charles - Ro. 8:28