1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Midwestern BTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, Jul 5, 2004.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Southern should institute theological affirmative action to get a few more non-Calvinists in there! [​IMG]

2. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But to get back in the direction of my original question...how is Midwestern with regards to the non-Calvinist profs? (any "left-field" hermeneutics?)

Also, I seem to be getting wind of dispensationalism coming into the non-Calvinist SBC seminaries. Is there any truth to that rumor?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunatley, Dispensationalism is alive and well within the SBC. To be expected from those holding to fundamentalist practice and theology. Pope Paige and Akin are dispensational so you can expect this to show up at these schools at the least.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not think you would feel inferior or snubbed at either Midwestern or Southern because you are not a Calvinist. There are several at MBTS that are not Calvinist and as another person said, in my 4 years on campus I hardly ever heard the term except in a Theology class dealing with different systems and the occasional lunch table theology debate.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't think Patterson was truly dispensational based on what he said in this interview.

http://www.baptiststart.com/panel.htm
    --------------
    Patterson: Maybe we should say too for the benefit of the reader that classical dispensationalism had seven different dispensations, variously identified, depending (in who you were reading. These were periods of time where there was a marked difference in how God did business with humanity. For example, there was a strong differentiation between the age prior to the Fall, and the age immediately following the Fall.

Someone's pointed out, I think truthfully, that every Christian is actually a dispensationalist because the word oikonomia is translated twice in the New Testament as dispensation. It simply means "law of the house," and it is true that everybody recognizes at least two dispensations. We all acknowledge an old covenant and a new covenant.

When I say I don't like being identified as a dispensationalist, it s because I don't see the seven, and never have seen the seven. Yet, I think that there are distinctions in the particulars of the program of God. It's always by grace through faith that were saved.
    ----------------

6. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Thanks for the quote Stefan. I know that Patterson is premillennial, but that does not necessarily mean that he is dispensational. From what I hear, most of the (Calvinist) faculty at Southern is premillennial, but they are most definitely not dispensational. Maybe JGrayhound can shed some light on this.
    I do not know about Akin's eschatological views. Is he really dispensational? He says that he is Reformed. Most Reformed folks are not dispensational, though many are premillennial. Anyone know?

Lon

7. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Just a guess, but I'd say most are historic pre-mil, some are amil, and a few are pre-trib pre-mil.

That is just my guess....this isn't a major issue here, as far as I can tell.