1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Midwestern Purchases Spurgeon Library

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Oct 12, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Did Spurgeon have 15,000 books in his library when he started preaching?

;) that is a SWBTS bad joke in case you don't know about the 15,000 book recomendation . . . .

I would like to visit his library sometime . . .

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is a bunch of money. But that is only about $50 per book.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I hope much of it will be available for public use, but also be preserved for the future. Converting it into digital format would be a good idea, although expensive and a time-intensive enterprise.

Could be converted a little at a time, the results being sold to help finance the next section.

5. NateT

NateT Member

I wonder if William Jewell College even knows who Spurgeon is. If MWBTS waited long enough, they might have been able to swing by the dumpsters one night and get it for free :D

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I would hope that they knew what they were selling . . .

7. NateT

NateT Member

I'm sure they did, it was more of a jab at William Jewell. It's in the north part of KC. I lived in KC for around 20 years and didn't know it was a "baptist" college until I left.. just goes to show how baptist it really is. They've moved rather far from the brand of Christianity that Spurgeon would have endorsed, and that is why I said that...

It's funny, about a year or so ago, I was having a conversation here at SBTS with someone and we agreed that we should try and buy it from William Jewell. Obviously MBTS had a better shot since they're only a 20 minute drive away, so Jewell gets the money and the collection stays in KC.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

$400,000 buys a lot of missionaries especially is some foreign countries.

9. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

A valuable library also trains a lot of Missionaries, Pastors, SS Teachers, &c. And edifies the saints already in His service.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right, if they read the books. Why buy Spurgeon's books when there are much better books today? Copies of that library can be gotten for a fraction of the cost.

#10 gb93433, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006