1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miers' Withdrawal Opens Door

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Repent62, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Repent62

Repent62 New Member

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider this mostly a victory for the Democrats but I think that it is unimportant. The Republicans are divided internally and the only question is the effect this division will have on the 2006 elections, which I think will see Democrat gains. The Republicans basically do not have a candidate for 2008 to run against Hillary Clinton for President and that is the reason for the weakness because Republicans do not like uncertainity.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had thought that in this scenario that President Bush would nominate next someone who was less conservative than Ms. Miers. But with the happened with Mr. Libby today I now think he will nominate someone more conservative as he needs to rally his base to support him during this difficult time in his administration.

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it is hard to predict what he will do because a conservative will be hard to get through Congress because of the Republican liberals, who never fully support the party. As for Mr. Libby, he got a bad deal as it seems to me that there was no crime committed in the case of Mrs. Wilson, who was part of her husband's scheme to make fraudulent lies about the government. It is Joe Wilson who should be tried and sent to Cuba because what he did was really treason in that he threatened national security for Democrat Party political reasons.

Ms. Miers also got a bad deal in that the President withdrew his support for her much as he did to Trent Lott in order to put Frist in line to be President, something which I am now against, having learned how timid Frist is in a political showdown.

5. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I think the conservative base is the most important factor for the GOP for the next 3 years. The sooner GWB understands that, the stronger will be the party and the less chance (not very good anyway) Shillary will get elected.

Now if he re-embraces the right wing, and re-asserts his position on SSI, begins action on border issues, stands up for less govt. and in general tries to become a Reagan republican, and above all quits trying to get along with the left, our near term future is pretty secure.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

There is always Alberto. He's better than a conservative. He thinks the president is above the law.

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The CP is always taking shots from the outside. He has already been rejected by conservatives.

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

And sooner or later Harriet Miers will come out with her memoirs stating:
    She is pro 2nd amendment
    she is pro 10th amendment
    she thinks roe v wade was judicial fantasy
    and finally thinks the commerce clause is unconstitutional......
    and all conservative leaders, (as if we needed or had any), will grovel and stammer and blame each other, or Bush for not pushing her hard enough.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He should have learned by now that this strategy just flat don't work!!

Pres Bush, at this point should practice what an old Navy Commadore (?) once said:

"Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!"

The base will rally if he charges full speed into the fracas!

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I disagree with you, Just-want-peace, is that there is a base that will rally behind Bush. The GOP is a coalition of Wall Street fiscal conservatives, country-club rich, evangelical Christians, and everyday people who want the Party of Lincoln and responsible government. Just as McCain goes against the Christians whenever possible, so does Wall Street. The GOP cannot control spending and cannot close the borders or bring sense to the energy question. Here in the North we are faced with extremely high heating bills this winter. If the government does not allow nuclear power or the burning of coal for electricity, the depression that sets in up north will last as long as can be seen because it will be too costly to live through these bitter winters. The greens have forced the use of natural gas to make electricity and this has created a shortage for the everyday family when they try to heat their homes in the winter.

Bush has exhausted his base to some point by the long, hard war against terror. It is unclear what the Democrats would do about the war if they win in 2006, but I believe that the Democrats will abandon Iraq if they are elected.